Heavy/Scratch: Devastator MIXMASTER

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SonOfNemesis, Sep 23, 2010.

1. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

As you all know, my Dev Custom is non-transformable. In that case, I really had to focus on hard core durability and the paint applications. So here is Mixmaster. I decided (with help from a couple polls - and thanks to those who participated) to go ahead and add the energon sludge effects.

He appears to be separable now but when all parts and figures are fully painted and complete, I will go ahead and permanently attach him while keeping his many, many points of full articulation and posable preferences.

Thanks for checking him out!

Attached Files:

2. xaviercal

xaviercal Customizer

Ebay:
    that look amazing can't wait to see your Devastator great job so far

3. jcartwork

jcartwork Well-Known Member

cool love it

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    hmmm... not sure on the quantity a thickness of the sludge though!

but the execution is perfect as always! :p 

5. darkpsi

darkpsi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Neat Mixmaster

6. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Cool... but I'm not sure why you bothered using TF toys if it's not going to transform. You probably could have gotten similar, if not better results using plain old plastic trucks.

7. SonOfNemesis

Thanks guys!

Hooper, I don't believe so man, even though they don't transform, their personal details are still there in each figure which can be seen and appreciated in a custom like Devastator. Plastic trucks would give none of that at all.

I am also a collector myself and with my own figures I may transform a couple of them over a period of a year or two, maybe. Other than that, they're just displayed.

I'm already gathering everything for my next Devy and I will make that one transform...maybe. :) 

8. GrandMaXimus

GrandMaXimus Party in my tummy!!! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That is really nice. Instead of making the next devy transform, you should try the other combiners. Victory caesar *cough cough*

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Looking great man! Btw, what are you going to use for the torso piece? The RiD mold, or Cybertron Mudflap, like Encline did for his non-transforming Devastator?

10. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    your detail work looks very nice

11. Will of Unicron

Will of Unicron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    VERY COOL!!! I didn't think I would like it. Once again you've surpassed my expectations.

12. SonOfNemesis

GrandMaximus, while I have been building my next Devy stock up, I may take you up on that actually. Looks like a cool custom to do with all those colors!

Ra88, I'll be using the RID figure. His crane will be removable though. I didn't realize Encline used Cyb. Muflap - nice!

Thanks Megatron31!

I need to take a little break from Devy and finish up some other projects for the next several days. Thanks for commenting guys - Darkpsi, G60, Xacviercal, JC, and Hooper!!

13. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    The sloppy purple goo put me off at first, but I'm warming up to it. It's a cool idea. I just hope that it's non-corrosive. For his sake.

14. SonOfNemesis

Thanks WOU, glad I did!

15. SonOfNemesis

Interesting Tom, I was in between making this one clean or adding the effects and ran a couple polls. I decided to go with effects. It's good stuff man, made for plastic. I'll be adding this kind of sludge effects to all of the constructicons just at varying levels (except Hook, he won't get any effects being a crane and all - maybe just a light dusting).

I'll also be highlighting the sludge with a brighter shade of pink to emphasize it's energon-ness :)  and to bring it out more against the other purple shades in Devastator's color scheme.

16. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I agree. I have one I am building now which doesn't transform into individual bots/vehicles, check out TRU, they have lots of construction vehicles to choose from, just throwing it out there. Here's the back hoe I am using :

[​IMG]

Anyway, I like how he came out. not sure if I am a fan of the energon ooze, to me the logic/physics behind it aren't clicking, but still....looks very cool. Maybe if you actually used some really thick paint and let it naturally drip and ooze on it's own it would be more convincing...also, I think if it were a different purple than the purple being used on the rest of the piece it might look more intentional?

Also, why paint them up separate? I thought it might be easier to paint as 1 figure. One thing I can't stand is when customizers do mods after paint, but I trust your skills, you can make it work ;) 

17. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like the paint apps so far, choice of colors is spot on IMO. Curious to see what you do with the energon, since its still a WIP.

18. GrandMaXimus

GrandMaXimus Party in my tummy!!! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:

Well, you know where I'm at...let me know when your good to go :drool: 

19. SonOfNemesis

Anyway, I like how he came out. not sure if I am a fan of the energon ooze, to me the logic/physics behind it aren't clicking, but still....looks very cool. Maybe if you actually used some really thick paint and let it naturally drip and ooze on it's own it would be more convincing...also, I think if it were a different purple than the purple being used on the rest of the piece it might look more intentional?

Also, why paint them up separate? I thought it might be easier to paint as 1 figure. One thing I can't stand is when customizers do mods after paint, but I trust your skills, you can make it work ;) 

F_R, thanks for commenting on this man! I know energon is not tangible in the sense I am using it but I just thought instead of earthy colored tones like cement and mud and whatnot, I'd go energon-colored just for fun. I really considered re-working the cement but this stuff is like a rock and I'd have to chisel if off practically but I like the idea with the paint and 'natural' flow. I'll likely use that idea for my rotf constructicons coming up.

I did mention above I am going to highlight the edges of the slude with a brighter shade of pink to contrast the purple as you said. I think that'll make a better difference.

I decided to paint each figure individually to make sure I was able to reach all the surfaces. I thought about painting it as 1 figure but I think that would be harder for me than doing it individually but I can see the benefit especially time wise of doing it as one figure.

Your posts are really appreciated man, thanks!

20. SonOfNemesis

JBarb, thanks man! I'm trying to pretty much stay along the DW comics Devy. I can't change the sludge on Mixmaster now but I will do different effects for each constructicon. I wish I had your styrene ability to fill in some areas man. Let's team up for a Devy huh :D 

GM, I already started researching this character and what would be involved. It's likely a project I'll pick up after this Devy is done! Great idea man!