Devastator looks much better in person

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I was in Wal Mart the other day and finally these guys are hitting the shelves, and at a $100 price point they're doing a fine damn good job of clogging them up.

I can't believe I'm saying this, I might just buy one. It doesn't look that bad when you see it, and with a little painting/modding it could look really nice. I was thinking about dry-brushing it to give it a worn-metallic feel to it.

Thoughts?

2. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I'll admit it does look somewhat better in person. Just not $100 worth of better.

I probably still won't get it, unless I see it for a ridiculously low sale price and I’m in the mood to blow some cash.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

What it looks like was never a problem for me. It being a £100 Megazord is the problem.

4. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    I also saw it at Walmart for the first time and I felt the same way. If I had an extra 100 bucks, I would have bought it then and there.

I tell myself it'll be around for a while and get cheaper, but I don't know when I'll end up buying it. All I know is that I want to...

5. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Saw one today and have to agree. Far, far better in person. Though I was always going to buy one.

6. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Save your money. Hold out till at least after Christmas. This thing was designed for clearance.

The way I see it, if we buy it at the full mark up, we're basically telling Hasbro that we'll take anything and we have no standards. They can get the rich kid dollar on that one, but the fan dollar shouldn't be such a pushover. Hasbro already saved money on this one compared to if they'd put in the amount of effort it deserved. If we reward that kind of corner-cutting now, they'll be profiting on both ends and we can expect more of the same carry on in the future.

As to the toy itself, it doesn't look that great in person. In time, I expect we'll come to accept it, and it's probably alright if you just want something to display. A little extra dry-brushing would definitely help it out a lot and give that extra sense of scale.

7. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind owning it if I had room and it only cost $40.

8. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I say buy it if you want it, if you do a simple drybrush to it and touch it up it would certainly look a lot better.

It comes down to whether or not you think it is worth the price tag.

Personally, I don't, but, to each their own I guess.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    i have seen it and i have slightly warmed my thoughts about it from dislike to indifference as it is it will still have to be on clearance before i grab one, i will say this getting to see its bulk in person gives it much better feel for its size

10. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I kinda felt the same way but then I thought to myself "Unicron, who was a much cooler figure and had awesome gimmicks, was only $50 and this piece of shit which isn't even a true combiner and only says a few phrases is $100!

11. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    :lol  the fan dollar. That measly percentage of their over-all market.

12. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Sums it up in one line beautifully!

I agree with the rest of what you say there too. The only thing with the big, basic figures not selling (other e.g.s supreme cheetor, cyb. Starscream) re: Hasbro's reaction, is that instead of going "hmm, we need to make these better and not so compromised to sell" is that instead they go "hmm, these aren't selling, so we should really just think about not even trying to make big figures".

But yeah, even if you liked this 'transformer' a lot from the get-go, unless you REALLY had to have it right away, the price difference between "what, $25 still won't sell them?" and the full $100 is just too much to ignore.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  13. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    Devs is a good toy for kids, but as an adult collector it doesn't interest me at all, not even on deep clearance. I will say the head and moving mouth look pretty cool though.

14. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I think most of us will admit we'll seriously consider buying Devy if he drops to say 40% of his present retail price. It's not that it looks bad, it just doesn't look good enough for the price. At £100, I don't expect to be saying "He'll look really nice once I paint him."

15. Neo-Bombshell

Neo-Bombshell Proudly Peruvian Transfan

News Credits:
    I am also waiting to get it from clearance some day. I don't want to imagine how expensive it will get in Peru in local Malls who usually overcharge 60% when new figures are just out.

16. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    :)  Don't belittle the fan dollar! If it was really so worthless, there never would have been Masterpiece figures.

Hasbro will say that adult collectors are a relatively small percentage of the market, and that's probably true, but there are kids out there who also appreciate a quality product, and can tell crap when they see it. To varying degrees of course.

That's the boycotter's dilemma. I don't think you can realistically communicate a message to Hasbro with such methods because it's open to interpretation. Are they going to conclude that it didn't sell because it was bad, or are they going to conclude that Devastator just isn't as popular a character as they'd thought? Maybe they'd just figure that size class just isn't economically viable anymore.

Maybe if it sells really well, they'll decide quality and attention to detail doesn't matter so much. Or maybe they'll decide that if that sells, they can afford to put more resources and effort into future supreme class figures. You can't really say. Maybe they'd just think whatever they want to think.

In the end it's just the principle of it. I kinda feel like the figure falls so short of expectations that it's almost an insult. I don't fancy getting ripped off only to be insulted on top of it. ( I know that verges on 'raped childhood' level of overreaction, but it's the best way I could put it.)

17. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I have seen it in stores, and I still am not sold on it. Even for half price, I am not sure. Just looks "cheap".

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    $40 or under, I may pick one up. At retail, no chance.

19. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Even if I see for 30 bucks, it looks bad.

20. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    I agree, ever sence I saw it, I want it.

I just don't want to buy it, since I want a ps3.