Devastator is not a Combiner, but a singular being... *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by webz, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Point in case. If he did have individual robot modes, why didn't they convert to them after Devastator got separated by the rail gun?

2. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    Maybe the vehicles were all jolted to death by the electric charge of the projectile from the rail gun, so all of the parts also died.

It is less confusing and the world would be much simpler if all Decepticon bulldozers are the same and can do both individual robots and combine. If you want to think that identical looking bulldozers are actually different :
    1. some are individual robots and cannot combine
    2. some can only be used for combining and cannot be robots,
    that is also fine with me. We are all free to use our imagination with our toys.
    In the real world, the toys so far do have the limitations listed in 1 and 2, except for the more versatile Legends Devastator. In the Legends Devastator, you do find a bulldozer who can be an individual robot and also combine, just as our great god Primus intended.

3. MookieNJ

MookieNJ Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was pretty weird if you ask me. The first movie had a few robots on each side so you could really know who was who ... now in the second movie, in the final battle they just went nuts with drones, clones, protoforms, stupid mistakes, or whatever.

4. iLuvM3

iLuvM3 Me, Grimlok, King!

you are little hard to understand o_O 

if you look at G1 devastator he was mainly weak to Dinobots and when dinobots or anyone disrupted the constructicons they would simply fall apart.

but when they connected from Constructicons to Devastator they had one head and i believe called them self devastator. but as for being 1 robot it isn't it's made up of smaller robots. Unicron would be a single being, devastator is what you get when combining multiple constructicons making him a combiner ;].

as for being ripped apart i'd say because they were so intertwined, like g1 they just kind of snapped together lol, this it was like opening and wrapping and combing, all complex and intertwined that the blast ripped through multiple constructicons making it kind of shred and rip apart

5. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    All of this confusion over the Constucticons/Devastator....has this question ever popped up on Bay's/Orci's blog?
    Or a Hasbro Q&A for that matter

6. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    I frankly don't think any of them gave it any thought. I'm sure they're more like "It's a freakin robot that's formed by many little ones, what more to you want?"

7. hunterelf

hunterelf Decepticon

i have to agree, since one was killed when repairing megatron, one was fighting the humans, one was fighting bumblebee

it seems only when the 5 came close, the dump truck start to transform

8. AmazSpiderman1

AmazSpiderman1 Member

The fact we are arguing about this shows the movie is really sloppy in this regard. We shouldn't have to debate, it should be pretty clear in the damn movie. I remember this was one of the aspects I was really really looking forward to in the film, it was like a dream come true for the constructicons to combine into Devastator. Now I see it, and it's just mass confusion and noone knows what the hell is going on. Oh, and Devastator has testicles. Fuck Michael Bay & the writers.

9. ThaRizla

ThaRizla Well-Known Member

Wait what??

There were 2 sets of constructicons. This part was terrible in the movie. Vehicles pull up to each other and start combining. Then you see a the robot form of the same vehicle not connected to Devs. WTF.

They could have done so much better with this.

10. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I actually really like the idea that Devastator is a single Constructicon "entity" made up of "whatever construction vehicles happen to be around".

(It'll make it easier and more justifiable for me to buy the $100 toy :thumbs2:  )

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I am as annoyed with this as you guys, and I think I formed a satisfactory explanation.

Go for the simplest explanation, the one that requires the least guessing or complicated theories: the film makers were doing a job. That's it.

Think of it like 80s Transformers. Remember when Sideswipe sometimes hung out with Megatron? Or how Soundwave had the Autobot logo? Or how sometimes Devastator can be one place and Hook is somewhere else?

The 80s animators were doing a job, and they did some goofs. Same with ILM. No need to get more complicated than that.

Just think of it as one hell of a meta-fictional homage to G1. :) 

12. iamamachine

News Credits:
    The movie people just did not have the money to show the robots turning into vehicles and then combining into Devastator. It is obvious from the Legends Devastator that all constructicons are supposed to be able to turn into individual robots. The $100 Devastator toy is the one that has the unnatural limitation of no robot mode plus it is missing Overload plus it has movie inaccurate transformation for Scavenger.
    The movie also did not have the budget to show the robots for Overload, Scrapper and Hightower but this does not mean that Overload, Scrapper and Hightower exist only as vehicles. Again, we can see their robot modes in the Legends Devastator.
    Thank Primus for the Legends Devastator, the movie accurate Devastator. The Legends Scavenger splits his scoop arm and forms 2 shoulders just like in the movie and you also get a Scavenger robot. The $100 Devastator has the scoop arm in the scrotum area and if you unfold the scoop arm out, maybe some might find it sexy to justify the $100 price.

13. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I'm going to go with the theory that Devastator is one mind shared over 6-7 vehicles. And I'll continue telling myself that when I go to buy it, and seriously, why not? Mixmaster, Long Haul, and Rampage are the only ones receiving any robot screen time. They never once, not ever, combined with Devastator. Separate entities.

14. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

scrapper was there too

15. iamamachine

News Credits:
    The movie Devastator is at least 9 vehicles. I saw 2 Scrappers and 2 Long Hauls. 1 extra Scrapper is used as the left hand. Aside from the parked Long Haul, one more Long Haul came over the ridge with Rampage. The parked Long Haul also transformed to be with Devastator. The movie Devastator is at least 7 vehicles with Overload plus any extra vehicles for the 4 limbs. A 6 vehicle Devastator is not movie accurate and you need at least 7 vehicles with Overload to be movie accurate.

16. Corellian Vette

Corellian Vette New Member

I think we can all agree that the execution of Devastator across the entire line has been piss-poor. Sucky and underwhelming in the movie. Sucky and underwhelming as a toy.

The fact that it's not only NOT clear in the movie what's happening, but things in the movie itself contradict what appears to be happening. It's really sloppy and lazy. I don't have a problem with a couple logic leaps or plot holes - I can still enjoy a film. But to actively contradict things right on screen is just stupid. Did we ever actually see, in the movie, any Robot turn into a truck THEN turn into Devastator? What I think I saw was a bunch of individual construction vehicles turn into body parts of a larger vehicle. So if you use what happens in the movie as “cannon” – then the original theory posted here is what the general observer things occurred. Strictly speaking, going by what happened in the movie, there is enough evidence to support that Devsator is a singular bot made up of different non-transforming construction vehicles – despite what the toys are called.

Regardless of that, I don't buy for a SECOND that Hasbro "didn't have the money" to make the Supreme Devastator with ‘bot modes. It’s bulls**t cover-up either for the fact that 1. The Bay folks and Hasbro folks are totally disconnected, 2. Hasbro is lazy, and just want to milk maximum profit out of what they hoped would be the kids “hero” character in the movie, 3. Devastator is in fact NOT a triple changing combiner and they didn’t want to spill the beans first.

I have a freaking triple-changing robot combiner from 1984. They could have made the most basic, Brave-series style brick-former on the planet and given me SOME sort of robot mode without “compromising” the shape of the toy in the Movie. Jesus, the micro-forming Devastator is a triple-changer, and freaking Leader Class Prime is a work of art. So I’m not buying Hasbro’s line on this one for one second.

Devastator sucks in every incarnation of this property.

17. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Wait, I got it! It's not devastator at all! (Well cept in toy name alone) It is one bot from several alts, not several bots into one. Instead of being called devz he was the construct-a-Con! A con constructed from many pieces! >.>

Though in all seriousness, He's probably just a stepping stone in the decepticon gestalt project, and without any background info from the characters themselves, we don't know if he's cloned bots from a limited soundwave database, or what yet. It's open for any direction next movie still to explain wtf that was.

18. Bystander

Bystander Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He indeed IS a combiner only his individual components didn't get a chance of showing their robot mode in the movie.

19. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    So, it looks like this theory is winding down. To summarize:

In the movie, we do not see Devastator components transform into individual robot modes. So, the theory that Devs components do not have individual bot modes can be perfectly accepted. There's nothing in the film to contradict it, and it's backed up by the fact that the other constructicons are fighting at the same time.

But, if you like the idea that they DO have bot modes, then there isn't anything to contradict that either. Have it your way!

Just go with the idea that the protoforms were crashing, and then scanning each other because there were such a limited amount of things around to scan when they crashed.

Wow....this thread and my idea right there just completely removed my annoyance for this scene.

20. GuyverDarkHero

GuyverDarkHero Active Member

I think we should blame Soundwave, I remember reading somewhere that the decticons for the final battle got their alt modes as they passed Soundwave on the way to earth. So maybe SW just thought we need Devastator so lets give these new guys the alt modes to make him, thinking that Long Haul, Mixmaster and Rampage were already on earth and going to be fighting the Autobots whilst Devastator was busy destroying the pyramid. Just the way I see it, it's just SW thinking who is needed in the battle to get the job done. What do you all think??