Devastator collaboration with Sabrina Ng : DEVASTATOR (7 of 7)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'd like to say that both Sab and Mike are amazing painters and this would be like choosing chocolate or rocky road. Great work, guys! :thumb 

2. wan_de_real

wan_de_real Transformizer

Ebay:
    sit here and watch:popcorn 

guys...art is subjectives...thats why critics is not more than "throwing" their "inner" opinions..so let it be..

F_R&Sab...keep produce the trumendous artworks..u know who u r...this artworks is achieving its own level..collaboration between two artists has never be attempt by anyone..for me it is a good idea to see various skills emerged each others..

3. caojiong

caojiong Member

ok.... I think the next step would be

Delux gold painted devestator? o_O 

4. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Killer work, both of you. Whoever ends up with this Devvy is one lucky bastard.

5. mrclean08

mrclean08 G1 FOR LIFE

Not to impede or disrespect Sabrina's work in any way as she is one of the premiere painters in our hobby, but I just am not feeling the paint job on this version. I liked it the way Frenzy_Rumble originally painted his. Metallic just doesn't look right with construction vehicles.

6. zfeakye

zfeakye Starscreaming Slut

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still feel F_R's paint job is better, i've always been a fan of F_R's painting skills and excellent photography...i just don't and can't dig shiny/glossy construction vehicles...nevertheless, you can't take away the effort that was put into this collaboration!!

7. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    ok. First and foremost, I would like to sincerely apologize for my lack of activity and comments. I've been stretching myself thin applying for jobs and interviews and customs. At this point, I'm just dropping by to take a peek and that's it. For those of you who've sent me PMs and all, really sorry for the short hi & bye answers you've been getting.

Back on topic, I'm really glad that many of you have a strong opinion about Devastator. It's really cool to see so many have such a 'like it' or 'dislike it' stance on it. Also to be fair, FR did an amazing job for the photos. It's not easy capturing the essence of how the constructicons look like in real life with all that shine. That's why most of my pictures look pretty dark too at times. The amount of light on it is really tricky. Well, do keep those comments and criticisms coming yeah! Looking foward to reading your opinions! Thank you all for the strong support :) 

8. BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT It's not broken anymore.

Great work Mike/Sabrina. I love the paint, just call him "Brand New Devs," or "G1->G2 Devs". I keed, I keed; I really do like it and can see the green despite the lighting. At any rate, my only critique is the head, as others have mentioned. It seems to me when this much work/effort goes into a custom of this magnitude, that's a large oversight. I hope the head you alluded to earlier is sweet.

9. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:

More so I think you just need imagination. Alot of people have made a devy in Mikes or Ptivites style. The only thing some people seem to ask most about is the connections. But everyone has thier own way of making them.

The other thing is the the tutorial some people are asking about. I built three devys just by comparing the pics from Mikes and Ptivites devys. They both had made very nice WIP threads for thier devys. And they show very much how they work. If you are looking to build one just search the Devastator threads (using the search function of course)and you'll see.

Other than that, it is a very nice piece! I agree with the paint job being more of an "exclusive" look. I think Mikes first paint job was the best. And I do like how you keep making new connection covers, innovative. And I personaly like the head. I think the G1 head on the devastator looks awkward, but again its just a matter of preferance.

But all in all great work Sabs and Mike!:bay :bay :bay 

10. Mr Ray

Mr Ray Well-Known Member

Just as you would expect from Sabrina and FR, good job!
    I'm one of those that arent too keen on the gloss look, i think its the fact that contruction vehicles arent glossed like cars! The gundam foot would annoy me to no end, just for the fact i know its a gundam foot lol.

would love to see a menasor in this style!

11. kenny86

kenny86 tapedeck

amazing!

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

It looks like Devastator went through a car wash...a really big one.

13. zeroXII

zeroXII metallicon

News Credits:
    Truth.

14. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same here. ;) 

15. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    I can only echo what others have already said. Glossy and clean just doesn't go well with the construction vehicles.

However, if this type of paint job had been done on a Menasor combiner, it would have been /INSANE/. Now that girl can do cars. Her Henkei Sideswipe is one of my favorite customs /EVAR/.

- Alty

16. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

As always, great work you two! I'm not trying to brown-nose, but I don't think I've ever seen a custom from either of you I didn't like. I want a Devi so bad, but I'd never be able to afford a commision, and I don't think my skills are up to par to tackle one myself yet. As for the paint job, the more I look at it, the more it grows on me. I think the shiny paint makes it look like a "premium" Devi. If I had this, it would definatly be the "centerpiece" of my collection... Hell, It would have it's own shelf and every day, I'd have to shitch the display between bots, vehicles, and combined mode.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I feel really bad for Sabrina. What was meant as an awesome collaboration between two highly skilled customizers has instead been relegated to one artist getting the praise while the other is overlooked because their paint scheme "doesn't fit", is "just okay", or "I like F_R's painting better".

This is all a matter of opinion. I understand that much. But I just feel bad that F_R is getting his well-deserved praise while Sabrina (based on a few of the comments I've read) is being left out in the cold. I say this despite agreeing with the sentiment that clean and shiny colors aren't synonymous with construction vehicles.

Again, I'm just basing this on some of the comments that have been posted thus far.

18. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Heya! Hee! Thank you Satomiblood. That's extremely sweet of you!! But seriously, it's fine really. I think that we both agreed to do this piece together as a means to push boundaries. Not so much of to see if my paintjob can overshadow FR's original or to see who is better or whatsoever. Hehe. I guess we all know that such comparisons do not do any good in this context. Which is why I'm taking all comments and criticisms in a good light. It's great that FR is getting a ton of positive feedback! yay!!! And honestly my ideals for this custom is as such

aesthetic - 80%
    realism - 20%

So I am not particularly concerned about realism in that sense.

19. jicco

jicco TF Customizer

/agree

I like the feel of the whole custom. Shinny and yummy :) 

20. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I don't get the complaints. "Construction vehicles aren't shiny" ?

Construction vehicles don't combine to form hundred-foot tall robots. Realism went out the window a long time ago.

Sabrina did a fantastic job painting this, as she always does. It just happened to be on one of Mike's more popular customs. Like I said earlier, whoever ends up with this is a lucky bastard, and I surely hope that they realize that. Considering that two very talented people from opposite sides of the Earth (that's easy to forget with the intarwebs and all) worked together to make this ONE figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.