Devastator/Brawl - no "what name counts for you" debate - SOURCE needed!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Nevermore, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Okay, I read both versions - "Michael Bay admitted it was an error and will be fixed for the DVD" and "Michael Bay preferred the name 'Devastator' and deliberately 'forgot' to tell the subtitle people about the name change".

However, both versions are only second hand recounts. I'm looking for a source either straight from Bay himself (message board, blog, interview, whatever), or from someone who reported it directly from Bay right after he said it at some press conference or similar, not three-months-later "I believe I remember he said..." hearsay.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

At first, I heard it was going to be Brawl. That's the name they had for the Decepticons Nintendo DS game. When I saw the movie, and saw it was Devastator, I went "Wha?! Either they changed his name or it was a mistake." I was kinda hoping to see what Devastator would look like if he was in a live-action movie... you know, when all the Constructicons combine into him?

3. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

That was a horrible answer to give when posed with a "I want certainty" type request. :dunce 

4. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Graphicon

News Credits:

His name is Brawl it is on ALL the toys and everything else related to Transformers EXCEPT the movie in which he said was a mistake and will be corrected for the DVD release, why do we have to go over this AGAIN.

5. Nevermore

News Credits:
    WHO said this and WHERE? All I ever see is people say what you did, but nobody ever provides a SOURCE. We KNOW that the name on the toys' packaging is "Decepticon Brawl" and we KNOW that the writers officially confirmed that they had pointed out the "error" TWICE in the editing room. See? THAT'S a source. "Michael Bay said it will be corrected" is not, especially not when for every fan who brings it up, someone else counters with the "Bay did it on purpse because he preferred the name" version. Also without a source.

I just watched the entire Australian press conference last night, and the name "Devastator" never comes up even once.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    because he's looking for an ACTUAL answer, not a second-hand one.

7. Prisoner1138

Prisoner1138 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well unless Michael Bay himself posts on this forum, all he's going to get is second hand answers.

Which is more believable, a subtitle error(which happens), or a naming error on millions of dollars of merchandise including 2 mainline toys, a little kids toy, the global hasbro websites, etc etc etc.

:horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: 

Leave the poor horse alone!

8. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    The question is not about the mistake itself. But looking for an official source as to WHY it happened. He want's to know where these quotes first appeared.

9. hanwombat

hanwombat I'm not a Wombat really..

DEVASTATOR WASN'T A TANK, therefore he is BRAWL who funny enough WAS a tank lol

10. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

While that makes sense, the OP is looking for source-cited proof of which name is canon.

11. hanwombat

Well I have been drinking, so thats an easy excuse

Bay's a jerk:drunk 

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

Funny enough... this isn't G1.

13. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I guess we'll all find out when the DVD is released in the Fall. If the subtitles are changed to "Brawl", then you'll know it was an error in the editing room. If it's not changed and it still says "Devastator", then you'll know it was Michael Bay's preference to call him that. Until then it's all conjecture unless Bay himself sets the record straight.

14. Nevermore

News Credits:
    I actually watched the entire Australian press conference last night because some comments cited that as the source. Of course, the name "Devastator" wasn't even mentioned once. :rolleyes2 

Also, I assume the people who claim that Bay confirmed it was an "error" might actually be incorrectly citing the statement by the writers (which I was able to find a source for). It's easy to twist "one of the writers confirmed it was an error" to "BAY confirmed it was an error" among certain people.

15. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Only because I like typing this out:

At Botcon during the writers panel they said they where in the editing room with Bay, they all agreed the name was wrong and Bay noted it down on his list of changes and for why ever it didn’t get done.

16. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    I thought it was going to be as simple as, "They can't have Devastator when they just killed off Bonecrusher couple of minutes ago."

In any case, I don't see them ever using the name Devastator for any of the future Transformers after that mistake.

17. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

Wasn't it on that HBO special about the film? I may be blending all the jibberjabber I've read with reality... but I think that was the program where he (as in Michael Bay himself) mentioned it.

18. hanwombat

you don't say ;) 

19. Nevermore

News Credits:
    The name "Devastator" doesn't come up in the HBO special either.

20. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, it'll just mean in the sequel the combined Constructicons, will just be, combined Constructicons.