Devastator and Constructicons concept art

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Scorpio, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well i went scouring the web and found this pic showing the Concept art for Devastator and confirming that almost all of the Constructicons were originally going to have an Alt mode. Check it out in the attatchments :) 

P.s. Sorry if this turns out to be in the wrong section :) 

Attached Files:

2. fathi_haziq

fathi_haziq Petrolhead

News Credits:
    Thanks for posting. This actually showed Overload (articulated dump truck) does have a robot mode but Hightower doesn't have any.

3. Scorpio

News Credits:
    I know it seems sad that we didnt get to see most of there robot modes we only saw Longhaul, Mixmaster, Scrapper, Rampage and Mixmaster for a few seconds. Also most of that time they were clones :( 

4. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Love it, what's really curious about this is that the two Rampage's in my theory are present on here, one is still attatched to the hand but it would appear the red Rampage is still the leg in the film version. That does seem to imply that what iamamachine stated with '9 constructicons' but I still can't figure out where the second Long Haul goes.

But some extra parts also show up. A third tread to Rampage is on the lower leg for starters. I don't think there are any ways to make some toy of this screen accurate without some major parts forming and modding. They still wouldn't have bot modes.

5. Scorpio

News Credits:
    Not entirely sure what you mean however most likely if the 9 Constructicon theory is correct then two Longhauls would make the one leg.

6. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah I kinda get that as well, but I would think they would take up alot of space.

There is definitely an extra rampage connected to the fist of the left hand. The shovel and even the visible treads are the same.

7. Scorpio

News Credits:
    Also in the film you see the shovel arm connect to Rampages alt mode then it rises up and comes down on Hightowers hand mode.

8. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I certainly hope I am not the only one who finds all that went on in those ten seconds confusing as all hell.

So how is it the shovel arm connects to Rampage's altmode again? Didn't he have one already or is it different now?

9. Scorpio

News Credits:
    I`m not sure but in the film the shovel splits open and bends round connects to a vehicle which then lifts up and when it comes down it somehow attatches to Hightower.

10. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You know what, I didn't consider this before, but could it be as simple as hightower splitting into two components and then re-merging to form the left arm proper? I thought the whole shovel thing was an additional rampage but now that you say this shovel actually exists on hightower I am beginning to doubt my own theory.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That actually says "work in progress" on Overload, and "TBD" on half of them being seen in Egypt.

I think that is why we never saw Overload's robot form. Somewhere it must have been decided not to go any further with him. That WIP might be the furthest he ever got.

12. Scorpio

News Credits:
    I`ve no idea. I am just suprised it happened so quickly and we never got to see all of him except in far away shots

13. Scorpio

News Credits:
    I suppose so they were probably trying to have all the constructicons be the ones who landed in Egypt then have them become Devastator after having a bit of the fight. Either that or they were just going to add them as clones.

14. KowBot

KowBot Well-Known Member

The legends figure of Hightower is very scorpion like.
    D-07 Hightower <--image

15. Scorpio

News Credits:
    He also has a head hidden inside the cage!

16. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They're all pretty cool designs.

Hope we get even more toys of 'em.

17. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    This. Especially Hightower. Transformers needs moar cranes.

18. monsterikan

monsterikan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this mean that what we saw in the film devastator has duplicates? ... this mean each vehicles that merge into devastator really have individual botmodes?

19. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    In the concept art, it does seem that 2 Rampages are used for the left leg. In the movie, Long Haul vehicle is 2x longer than a Rampage. In the ship, you see a giant Long Haul robot throwing the 3 smaller robots into the sea. For the 2 Rampages, I am not sure if this was followed in the movie since only 1 Rampage is shown arriving over the ridge with a Long Haul. It is possible that there were 2 Rampages in the movie also and that would bring the total vehicles forming Devastator to 10. Maybe the extra Long Haul went into the right arm to make the arms longer than the legs.
    Since the arms are supposed to be 2x longer than the legs, this combination for the arms makes sense :
    Small Long Haul + Scrapper (right arm)
    Hightower + Small Scrapper (left arm)
    For the legs, you have :
    Long Haul (right leg)
    2 Rampages (left leg).

As for the left hand, in the concept art, this is a smaller Scrapper vehicle.
    In the movie, the left hand is also a smaller Scrapper vehicle.
    In the $100 Devastator toy, the left Scrapper hand is conveniently hidden underneath the Hightower.

In the concept art, Overload is supposed to be the rear torso.
    In the Legends Devastator, Overload is the lower torso.
    In the movie, Scavenger is about 3x bigger than Mixmaster and you don't really need Overload for a backbone. It is not shown where Overload went.
    In the $100 Devastator toy, Scavenger is also about 3x bigger than Mixmaster so the giant size of Scavenger is similar to the movie and Overload is not really needed to pad the back. Unfortunately, this toy is not movie accurate bec. they placed Scavenger upside down and does not split Scavenger's scoop arm into 2 to form the shoulders. The concept art also has Scavenger splitting into 2 which was followed by the movie but not the $100 Devastator toy.

20. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So in a nutshell no matter how confused or certain we are as fans, the very creators seem to be just as confused. Hahahaha. Comforting...

- ILM to Bay-

ILM- So you want a robot made of seven smaller robots right?

Bay- Or nine, or ten or six! Yeah it just has to be really cool and if you look closely it should cause seizures.

ILM- Michael, do you want individual robot modes, like we need an answer.

Bay- Sure but just recycle them, put so many of them into a room nobody will know what the hell is going on! And just to screw with those intellectual types, choose whatever size vehicles you need to get it right. Anything you can shift around make up. It will be Hil-marious!

ILM- But Michael don't you think that goes against the principles of the first movie? Size morphing and parts coming out of nowher--

Bay- And explosions! Lots of explosions. So many explosions and doom and despair and and... and doom no one will get it.... except the truly brilliant. *taps his own head* The ones with my vision.

ILM- Double vision apparently--

Bay- *taps the desk loadly* Exactly.