Heavy/Scratch: Devastator #450,005 pt.1: Bonecrusher (More Pics Added)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by whiskeytango, Oct 11, 2008.

1. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

So, last week I made a thread saying I was starting on a Bruticus... well then Devastator fever got a hold of me too. So Bruticus has been swept to the side in favor of everyones favorite neon green construction vehicles.

I started with Bonecrusher because he required very little modding. Basically threw some connectors on him and he's done. I decided to stick with RiD Wedge instead of bashing from a different mold, as is being seen by Defstar and Redline, for two reasons:

A) His alt mode is very comparable in size to RiD Grimlocks, which make them great matches for the upper arms.

and B) I actually kind of like that he's small, cause I imagine things like this happening:

"Awww, isn't that one cute? Yeah, you're not as big and scary as those oth..."
    (pound, pound, pound, pound)
    "OH SWEET HOSANNA, WHAT HAPPENED TO MY BONES?"
    "Well Arthur, it appears they've been crushed"

Anyways, I painted him up with Model Master Sublime Green, Citadel Foundation Hormagaunt Purple, Pure Black, and Testors Enamel Steel. Let me say, I was skeptical of enamels, but now I cant speak highly enough of them.

I'm not quite done with him yet. He still needs a big ol' Con symbol on his chest, still have to paint his side windows, needs a shot of dull coat, some dirty wash, and especially need to touch up basically all of his joints.

Special thanks to Frenzyrumble for his tutorial on enamel drybrushing. I think the results vs. acrylic speak for themselves.

Edit: More pics... still havent touched him up though. Been working on... other things

Attached Files:

2. thyvipera

thyvipera ThyVipera

nice paint job. looking forward to seeing more

3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Beautiful paint work, especially on the plows!! Reminds me of SpurtReynolds' blending style!! Big thumbs up!!:thumbs2:  Can't wait to see the rest of 'em!

Oh, I like that he's kinda small and scrappy!:D 

4. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

thanks guys. I really like the purple i used, but i'm a little concerned that its too subdued compared with the bright green.

Thoughts?

5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:

It's tad gray for my taste but is works well nonetheless. It makes him look oily and grimy, just like you would expect a construction vehicle to look like! I'd leave it!:thumbs2: 

**EDIT**Maybe it just needs a bit more purple on the thighs!

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    only one photo???? :( 

7. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Same here...those plows look fantastic...!!!

8. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Unfortunately yes for now. I want to finish painting his windows and such before showing him in vehicle mode, though i may take a few more in robot.

Edit: Also, I know I'm not the first to use this head on him, but what do you guys think? I like the frown, looks proper for such a raging force of destruction. I was thinking about using Wedges original head on Mixmaster since he's typically shown without a visor or faceplate, but i'm a little worried it'll look too small on Barricade. Though if possible, i might try to add his head guns, which would beef it up a little.

9. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think you made some very good choices on this piece, bud. Everything you've done to it really looks well done. I can't wait to see more work from ya!

. . . and be sure to take just a whole slew of photos to show your work off! :thumb 

10. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    Did you airbrush the green on or was it in a spray can?

11. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

it was spray can. Got it at hobby lobby

12. Mirage775

Mirage775 Autobot

Ebay:
    Sweet! How about the other colors? I assume the purple was brushed on or did you mask everything up and spray it too? Thanks again

13. whiskeytango

whiskeytango Combaticon

Well, I took his arms off and sprayed them, dozer blades and all, with Krylon Camo Ultra Flat Black. Everything else is brushed on.

Added new pics, with some close ups of the plows, and the start of Scrapper. Sadly, my camera wouldnt focus on his head, just his chest.

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    nice work. he really needs the con symbol on his chest. Shoot me a PM and I will tell you where to get black on clear con' stickers.

nice work.