Heavy/Scratch: Devastator 187 (w.i.p update)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by deaculpa, Jul 17, 2009.

1. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    just a brief update to let you know this isnt dead, and is moving into final phases. the two missing shoulder constructicons are currently being painted. other than that, just a little more work on mixmaster's cab for stability (which i had to kinda set in for this picture, its not attached);paneling to fill in holes, and ill be pretty much done with the devastator figure aside from painting.
    I was originally only planning on the combined mode, but i've somehow been able to retain transformation for all 6 individual bots, so why not customize them all?

original post here, inspiration from ptitvite, uuser. critcism welcome, this is my first kitbash. thanks!

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/240312-devastator-187-wip.html

Attached Files:

2. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Looks great but something that really bugs me about this kitbash with everyone that has done it is that there isn't a way to store the limbs(i.e. hands, hips etc) anywhere and it's almost like a partsformer. But since this is your first kitbash I wouldn't expect you to fix this problem and this still looks fantastic I sure as hell know I couldn't do it

3. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great...Seems like the arms are missing thier main components (transformers)
    Storing the arms and little extras on this is a real challenge because for it to look good the arms have to be nearly as big as one of the component transformers....

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Pretty cool!

5. fateastray

fateastray AnakRepublikMalukuSelatan

Looks great, hope you paintingskill matches the kitbashingskill.

Funny to see this only has 3 replies, while Sabria Ng's topic only shows a few parts and has like 3 pages of replies

6. alpharon

alpharon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This looks great. Would it be possible to post some detailed pics of your Mixmaster WIP? I'm having trouble conceptualizing that bot build.

Also, about the comment earlier on this being a parts former, don't forget that the original G1 Devestator was a partsformer also. Those extra limbs definitely didn't store anywhere. That's why I'm okay with this custom. It's just an update G1 Devestator.

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

All G1 combiners were parts formers to a certain extent, especially Devastator. All the extra Primus/Unicron parts are similar to the extra parts from the original set.

I think it's much more difficult to make a Devastator that doesn't parts form versus a Menasor/Superion/Defensor/Predaking where they only use 5 robots instead of 6. We've seen MALFUNCTION and REDLINE create Menasors with little to no combining additional parts. With G1 Devs, it's almost impossible (at the moment) to create one that's entirely self-contained.

It's a lot harder than people originally think.

8. uuser

uuser Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Very nice, looking forward to the final version

9. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    why so serious? :) 
    but i can see where youre coming from: when the bots are individual, where's all that other stuff being hidden? Answer: it hides in the same place that optimus's trailer goes when he's in robot form, which is also where that other two tons of slag disappear to when megatron transforms to a weapon small enough for starscream to hold. :)  its always been part of the transformers thing, you have to use your imagination a little.

theyre being painted, sorry i didnt have them handy when i took this photo :p  coming though.

Sabrina's an established radicon with a following anxious to see her next project, i can understand it. i'm just small time in the game. but thanks for YOUR post! :) 
    Fight the power.

sure, ill see if icant get some this weekend, but my only camera is my iphone :p . apparently thats not an issue for you guys.
    . but its pretty much the same as the original energon barricade, but with a ton of hinges attached to the cab so that it can be in all three positions and look okay: truck, foot, and hidden on the bot. i also attached special hinges so the mixer can so the same. but, yes, i would be happy to oblige
    I didnt expect any fanfare over this and im not at all protective about what i've done (i dont expect to mash all of the cool people in here for thousands of dollars to buy my stuff, i do it for the love.) so yeah, i'd love to post the final in detail and show you how i did it.

*bows down* thank you, kind sir.

ill leave for the moment by saying this: i wanted to buy one of these premade but i could never forgive myself for paying someone 2 grand to do it. so instead, im doing it myself and i have to say that the kitbashing experience is irreplaceable. i've really been looking for a creative outlet and this hit the spot (no major kitbashing injuries yet either).

you know where that two grand went instead? toward a new suzuki gsx-r 750 to go with my harley fatboy

one love and thanks to everyone for your support.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah they did - they became weapons for the vehicle modes.

Lame weapons for the most part, but weapons nonetheless. I'd like to see a custom combiner that goes that route; make all those extra parts good for something besides just lying around when not combined. Maybe weapons, or they combine into a base for the individuals, something along those lines.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  11. deaculpa

deaculpa Seven Star Fist

News Credits:
    really? where did the head and hands go?

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    The head folded down for a reason, and you attached guns to it and put it on one of them.

The hands - rocket punch, I guess. The drills kinda replaced them. I never said it was perfect, but they DID have another purpose.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  13. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    HAHA!!! There is no of getting around extra part!!! But for real, I am looking forward to seeing how good this turns out!!!

14. AE Overlord

AE Overlord AE Legend

Ebay:
    Here's an idea for the extra parts: Take a cue from ez legends dev and use and extra bot to make up the extra combiner peices. The forearms, thighs, and chestsheild could combine with the head to form another constructicon. maybe one of the micromasters got upgraded into a DEV2.0 Just a thought.
    Other than that, really like the look of this so far. good luck with it.

15. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Heya! Thos hands look freakin unique!!! Where the heck did you get those from?? Doesnt seem to be from Primus. But in anycase, you've gotten yourself a winner! And more pics please!!!!! :) 

16. sunnyboy

sunnyboy Member

looking good, cant wait to see more wip photo on how u kitbash them.