Devastation Issue #4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    You all know the routine! This thread is for discussion of Devastation #4. Go pick up the issue, come back, and talk away!

Since this is a discussion on Devastation #4, people who have not read this issue yet should be aware that there are likely SPOILERS below. Read at your own risk.

2. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Wow.

Spoilers ahead....

Jimmy and Verity are DEAD?!? I so did not see that coming so quick, especially like that. For those that haven't read it, Nightbeat "orbital jumped" the Autobots out of the coastal area (Pensacola) to avoid the "Scorched Earth" bombing that was about to happen via the US Military. Apparently, the organic organisms can't handle an orbital jump and the last we see of that group....Ratchet is holding their dead bodies in his arms aboard another Ark right outside Earth's orbit. Seeing as how that part of the story left off there, we'll find out next issue if they really did die.

If so, I expect Hunter to follow. In this issue, Hunter goes into the machine that allows him to be programmed to access everything that's in Sunstreaker's mind. If the other two are dead, there's not much of a reason to keep Hunter around post-Devastation unless they really do intend for him to be Sunstreaker's permanent head.

Story didn't necessarily proceed too much, but I liked the issue yet again. Most of the issue dealt with the Autobots vs. Sixshot. Loved the action scenes and the arrogance on the part of Sixshot. Bumblebee was severely injured with one shot. Should be interesting to see how bad off he is.

Soundwave has taken control of Laserbeak and Ravage. Huzzah!

Reapers started to attack the Decepticon base in Oregon, with Starscream freed from the CR chamber at the end.

The slowest part of the story has to be the rescue of Ironhide. Find him already, yeesh! Loved the junk car yard name though..."Wreck N Rule".

3. Loscos

Loscos Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Didnt see soundwave showing up, im interested to see how his involvement will play out now.

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Did you notice the name on the lock?
    "Meister" :thumb 

I loved the issue.
    There were a lot of twists but Jimmy and Verity's fate was a complete surprise.

However, my favorite part of the issue was Prime ordering the troops off the planet while he stayed behind to fight Sixshot alone.

Excellent characterization. Excellent.

The artwork was fantastic, too.
    I love Starscream in that last panel.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ratchet's pet humans? Dead?

Too good to hope for. Shenanigans.

Taking the majority of the Earth Autobots off-planet seems to set up the new "All Hail Megatron" series just announced. Hot Rod, Wheeljack and Sunstreaker are the only ones left, correct?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  6. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Sixshot don't fear the reapers

Verity and Jimmy dieing was a bit of a shocker. Especially with how sudden it was.

Anyone notice the 08 Camaro poster on page 1, last panel? There's also a Journey poster.

7. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

(since it's already spoiled :rolleyes2 )

On the one hand it was a shock, but on the other hand it seemed to be almost an after thought.

Then again, I wonder if Rachet can fix them?

They were just starting to become interesting too.

8. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    It did seem kinda afterthoughtish didn't it? I mean these two have been major characters for a while and all they get is an off screen death and two panels?

9. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf dragon-bot

News Credits:
    i love the whole sixshot "selling" himself too the autobots like he is a complete unkown, or wanting them to flee in terror and not fight.

but i am disappointed in not seeing the knock down drag out between prime and sixshot like the cover shows.

10. GMfan101

GMfan101 The Smooth Operator

News Credits:
    $50 says that Jimmy and Verity aren't dead and will become Hardhead and Nightbeat's headmasters....

11. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

Haven't read the issue, but I'll put down money saying they ain't dead. Not like it's being described anyway, and not without some kind of shift to the story that would make it worth it.

Even if IDW were to think they were useless characters, they wouldn't pick them off like they were nothing unless they died in a way that made them seem important.

12. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Well, technically they are dead, no real guessing about that. Ratchet flatout says "life functions... terminated" as he's holding them. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean anything, really. He's a doctor, maybe he can bring them back... not as if it doesn't happen in real life. HOWEVER, this does finally (kind of) explain what happened to the clone that was transported aboard the Ark back in Escalation. *shrug*

The battle with Sixshot was pretty damn nice, I thought. Bumblebee was knocked out pretty early. Jazz gets his arm ripped off. Hardhead's heavy weaponry doesn't even make a dent. And Prime stays to fight alone... and would have easily gotten his ass whooped if not for the Reapers sudden appearance at Decepticon HQ. And (!!!)Starscream's healthy and ready to get involved again.

Can't wait to see how the whole Hunter/Sunstreaker thing turns out... and when/if the Machination is going to find out.

13. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Am I the only one who wanted to tell Ratchet "They're -blue-. Did you remember to turn the oxygen on?" :lol 

But yeah, sucks if that's how they're getting offed. But with the Headmaster stuff going on I very much suspect they'll be revived (with a possible Minerva homage hitting Nightbeat).

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    fleshies got killed?!

no effin way.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ooooh yeah. Hardhead and Nightbeat are right there. Too bad Sixshot didn't plug them in the skull to necessitate a binary bonding.

16. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    I loved the issue. I wonder why Prime waited until half way through the fight with Sixshot to give the order to fire with deadly force though.

17. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's no way they'd kill Verity and Jimmy off like that... could they? I actually love the human element in these stories, they really put the scale into perspective, and it's better than just a rehash of Spike or Kicker & Co. Still, we'll have to wait and see.

Absolutely loved this issue. Robby Musso did a better job of subbing for Su than Roche did, I can't think of a single bad page in all of it. The battle between the Autobots and Sixshot was very well done - watching that 'Con tear into the 'Bots (Poor Jazz), then Prime taking him on solo had me on the edge of my seat. Hope he survives his fight with the Reapers to go one-on-one with him again.

Rest of the story moved on pretty well... Hunter going through the Headmaster process was rushed, but I'll be expecting more once he's on the move. Hot Rod and Wheeljack's little road trip to save Ironhide looks to be getting more intense, and... Soundwave and Starscream! About time they got back in the game!

18. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Anyone notice the "Wreck n Rule" sign as they entered the car smashing/impound lot?

Also did anyone notice how hugely out of scale Sixshot is in that one page where he has the Autobots around him? He's easily 3x bigger than the others, with his foot alone being as big as 1 of the Autobots! There's also that one page with fleshies talking to the cop where the coloring was pretty rough...

Other than that, it was a good issue!

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I saw that. It's like they used the toy scale differences for the one panel. :lol 

20. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Uh, can we get EJ Su back PLEASE...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD? Musso cannot get proportions right. I seriously cringed at the way he drew Sixshot in the 1st page splash. Also if you are going to have multiple colorists, please try to get their styles similar for the issue, instead of Cell shading-like on one page then brushed on another. Nice to see Soundwave. So Verity and Jimmy died huh? Didn't see that coming. Yay Starscream is back online...