Devastation Issue #2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    As it standad now, TFW2005 is posting a front page reminder about comics coming out on release day. The front page post will contain a link to this discussion thread.

This thread is for discussion of Devastation Issue #2. Go pick up the issue, come back, and talk away!

Since this is a discussion on Devastation Issue #2, people who have not read this issue yet should be aware that there are likely SPOILERS below. Read at your own risk.

2. Tim Formas

News Credits:
    #2 definately keeps up the momentum. And finally the Machination story moves forward! Not much in the way of Decepticons this issue and the Sixshot cover is more of a tease than anything, but this issue was survived without it. Great way to end it too.

Notes...
    - Starscream's awake. Yay!
    - Uh oh, the US military is aware of the ark! Media reports streaming in too.
    - Considering they almost hit the street, it's amazing they got 200 more miles beyond that point.
    - Did that woman's robe really need to be open?
    - Hah! Looks like Hunter fooled the Machination.
    - Machination reveals their Headmaster technology to Hot Rod and Wheeljack, stating that the Autobots are now old, surplus technology.
    - From his suit, you can definately tell Hunter is a Headmaster, which I think plenty assumed.
    - Ark destroyed, all Autobots (with the exception of escape pod inhabitants Verity, Jimmy, and Ratchet) presumed dead in Ark explosion. We know that's not going to last.
    - Again, final scene, wow. Sneaking around Machination HQ, Hunter finds the damaged and hacked-in head on Sunstreaker (this is apparently how the Headmaster Sunstreakers know how the Autobots think). Sunstreaker asking Hunter to "Kill me". Wow.
    - Add after comic for Devastation Issue #3 advertises it as Devastation: Phase 3. Has such a nice ring to it, as opposed to just "Issue #3".

3. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I can't say I'm shocked by the Headmaster concept being used. After the hints dropped previously, it was quick to come to mind and easy to figure out even if you didn't know just by the shape of Hunter's armor.

I'm happy with the timing in this series though. You don't hear about Sunstreaker at all, Hunter nearly nil, and it really gives that sense that, yeah they're still around and part of the story, but they are well and truly missing.

Sunstreaker asking Hunter to kill him was a bit cliche, but coming from Sunstreaker's mouth, it has more impact.

Looking forward to the rest of this "phase".

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "3 dozen casualties and no fatalities?" Uh isn't a casualty and a fatality basically the same damn thing? Couldn't they have said "3 dozen injured but no fatalities"?

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, IDW's mantra is "It'll be fixed in the trade."

Weak sauce in Hunter resisting his brainwashing by repeating useless trivia. But, Verity-free issue YAY

6. Tim Formas

News Credits:
    Agreed. Even though the definition of casualty can mean injured or killed, just saying "injured" would have been far more clear. I'm doubting they'll fix this in the TPB, as there is technically nothing wrong with the statement. But, you never know.

7. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    cas·u·al·ty /ˈkæʒuəlti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kazh-oo-uhl-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun, plural -ties.
    1. Military.
    a. a member of the armed forces lost to service through death, wounds, sickness, capture, or because his or her whereabouts or condition cannot be determined.
    b. casualties, loss in numerical strength through any cause, as death, wounds, sickness, capture, or desertion.
    2. one who is injured or killed in an accident: There were no casualties in the traffic accident.
    3. any person, group, thing, etc., that is harmed or destroyed as a result of some act or event: Their house was a casualty of the fire.
    4. a serious accident, esp. one involving bodily injury or death.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well that was a fast read. I did get a kick out of the Ark almost crashing near Robin's Air Force base, since I used to live in Warner Robins, GA. Nice twist to finally see some Headmasters, only they are integrated with the Sunstreaker clones.

9. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf dragon-bot

News Credits:
    it is what we say in any mass casualty incedent

a casualty is anyone involved, from walking wounded to dead

10. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So given Scorponok's dabbling with headmaster-ish tech (Ultra Magnus Spotlight), can we start thinking he's behind Machination?

11. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Based on the hints they dropped in the UM spotlight AND Escalation, I'd say that unless they do some huge twist, we've known that Scorponok is the head of it for a while.

12. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I noticed a little easter egg on the two page spread (don't have the comic with me right now), the Ark is passing overhead and a man and woman in bathrobes are scrambling for cover, the newspaper nearby reads "Project Iceman".

13. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also one of the cars flipping on the bottom looks like 09' Bumblebee.

14. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    They've pretty much all but said it's Scorponok. In one of the issues of Escalation we see the disembodied head that leads the Machination from behind and shadowed. The head has a similar design and the damaged part of the head is the part that was shot by Ultra Magnus.

Although how he was rendered a disembodied head when he was relatively undamaged at the end of the Ultra Magnus spotlight is anyone's guess.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The disembodied head on a tray has been done over and over since what, Marvel TF #6?

It's still creepy.

I'm hoping Hunter doesn't become the actual Sunstreaker's head. Sunstreaker already has too fat of a head to become a Headmaster. And god help Hasbro if Classics Sunstreaker is made as a Headmaster. Although the fanboy outrage would nourish me like a virgin's blood to Oprah.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  16. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Loved the issue!

Hot Rod & Wheeljack great team!
    Sinister Headmasters, interesting concept.
    The crashing Ark -19, very suspenseful, I could really hear Cullen as Prime in my head for that scene. Did anyone else think they were going to not quite reach the ocean and crash into the side of a moutnain a la the toon instead for a while?
    Poor Sunstreaker! I hope Sides arives soon to save him or put his poor bro out of his misery.
    And Mosaic was great too. I love Hound!

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I really like the addition of Mosaic.

18. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Last month I got mine before anybody, and now everybody gets theirs before me......

Stupid karmic retribution..........

Issue sunds great, I almost want to shake down the postman everyday. (Where's my comic at B**CH???????)

19. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Even though we saw this coming a mile away, I like the new spin on headmaster technology. It makes more sense in IDW continuity than anywhere else the concept was employed especially if we assume Scorponok is behind the machination (And the way things are going, it most definitely is, unless Furman decides to pull a fast one). By putting them in control of mindless Transformer bodies, rather than having them symbiotically bond to an existing sentient Transformer, Scorponok can recruit physically inferior alien races who are at least capable of thinking on their own into his own army by augmenting them with Headmaster tech, rather than having an army of uncreative drones. Of course the only problem might be if that alien race decides to turn their gifts on him, though I'm sure he would have countermeasures in place to ensure their continued loyalty.

I also like how the Headmaster transformation sequence is actually physically possible for a normal human being to do. It is still somewhat similar to the old headmaster Transfomation (Keeping arms to side, bring legs up to chest), but instead of having knees bend at impossible angles, IDW headmasters just have to curl their legs up and bring their calves to their chest rather than their shins.

20. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Furman and Su on -ation, dream team.

I loved this one. It was a tad short, too much stuff happening in one issue, but at elast the plot is actually moving forward. The cliffhanger WAS creepy, Hunter fighting brainwashing by reciting useless trivia was cool, and Hot Rod and Wheeljack are indeed a good team.

The art, I enjoyed a lot again. Su is great at drawing realistic vehicles and visual storytelling/sequentials. Quite a few artists could learn a lot from him in that regard. The car chase alone. Whoa! Or the panel on page 7 showing those two people looking up at the tumbling Ark-19. GREAT choice of perspective!

So's robots are also getting better and better. Only one I wasn't quite impressed with yet was Hot Rod's new robot mode. Everyoine else was slick.

Can't wait for #3. Who's drawing that? Roche or Musso?