Devastation #5

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Kaijumaster, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    A few months ago I was saying "IDW TF Is the best interpritation of the characters ever" Now....not so much, I think from now on Every issue should be #6 because apparently #6 is the only issue ANYTHING HAPPENS!!! seriously, Stop introducing new Characetrs and new plots if NOTHING is going to become of them,

what Is Megatron like before he started using "Ultra energon"? What is Nemesis Primes part in this? How is Thunderwing going to be used? What will Nightbeat do? What is the fate of Ironhide? Will more than 3 weeks ever pass in the IDW universe? SERIOUSLY these are all question left un answered....but do we get any answers? nope.

We get a set-up for Grimlock and...JHIAXUS?!?!? COME ON!!!!!!

2. twincast X99

twincast X99 Drag racing to the sky.

guess we have to wait and see in issue 6.

3. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Settle down son, some of us ain't seen #5 yet......

4. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Then....why would they come into a thread marked "Devastation #5" ?

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Apparently Hunter will finally transform in #6 as well. I hope to god he says "Head On!"

6. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    what comes after Devastation?

7. twincast X99

twincast X99 Drag racing to the sky.

i'm guessing revelation.

8. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Continuation.

9. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On the one hand, I like the fact that not everything is in a crammed 6 TPB only storyline. It reminds of the early Byrne/Claremont X-men days where plots where spreads across years. But, this series takes forever to come out. I mean there are so many plot threads out there right now:

1. Shockwave and the Dinobots
    2. The humans plus the Scorponok head(maybe)
    3. Lazerbeak and Ravage
    4. Galvatron

Others I'm sure I missed. I'd like something to get resolved by issue 6....

10. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf dragon-bot

News Credits:
    in my opinion it was a great issue, loved starscream pawning sixshot, and megs finally seeing whats going on.

hated primes choice to leave earth, since it is pivitol and no longer unimportant

also got the sourcebook 4 today but didnt see the thread for it?

11. RodimusMark

RodimusMark Infamous Fighter of Foo

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I posted on another board that I thought the Autobots leaving might happen to be a sort of clue that maybe "All Hail Megatron" is actually in this continuity. I could be jumping the gun, and I guess we'll find out pretty soon.

12. Ted Kord

Ted Kord Well-Known Member

I really wish they had just let Nick Roche finish off the last two issues. The switch back to EJ Su was a bit jarring. I still don't understand why the Headmasters are backwards. Aren't they supposed to be driving the cars in alt mode and acting as the heads in robot mode?

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Has issue 5 already come out?

14. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    ^^ Yes, came out yesterday. The Starscream and Sixshot fight was teh suck.

15. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yup and i'm still waiting on my back order of issue 4 to come through, i'll probably get it the same time as 5which will probably be the time 6 comes out :(  at least i'll have more to read

16. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Apply Directly to the forehead

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Damm portugese comic distribution!

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

With every science fiction/superhero/action series out there, it's always very tempting to turn a series into "People punching each other." For example, Maximum Carnage and New Avengers vs Transformers would be the best example of this trend. Each issue of such a series ends with a new player coming into the story, and the next issue has a group battle with one team having a new member.

Beast Wars: The Ascending is another great example of the sub-genre I call "people punching each other."

Infiltration, Escalation, and definitely the Spotlights are beyond "people punching each other." There was some mystery involved, interesting characters, and yes, there were people punching each other. Devastation has been too slowly paced, and even worse, despite the slow pacing the scenes don't have any room to shine. I think a total of 2 hours has passed during the time span of Devastation 1 through 5, and the worst offenders of slow paced story are Hunter's conversation with Sunstreaker and Hot Rod/Wheeljack's fight with the Headmasters. Things are moving too slowly. I far enjoyed Ratchet's fight with Sixshot a hell of a lot more than the Sixshot vs. All The Autobots fight in issue 4, because the Ratchet vs Sixshot fight lasted a whole issue and was more than "people punching each other."

Essentially, nothing happened in issue 4. Moreover, there were some obvious "WTF" moments that are no doubt advertisements into future books. For example, Optimus Prime leaves Earth. I'm aware a future Spotlight will come out that answers this question, but come on! Each issue should stand by itself, so that if any given issue of any series is the only issue you read, you (should) still have a worthwhile story. For Optimus Prime to leave Earth so haphazardly is not what I'd call good storytelling. Read the first five issues of G2, and the first five issues of Devastation, and you'll see a clear difference in how much stuff actually happens.

Also, can anyone explain to me Sixshot's sudden actions toward the end of this issue? His spotlight and all other issues of Devastation have portrayed him as an aloof but loyal Decepticon. He was quite insistent each time that he wouldn't join the Reapers, and with a one-liner about Starscream, his character turns an abrupt 180.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the IDW Transformer series, but with recent releases like New Avengers vs TF and the last few issues of Devastation, it's slowly becoming the standard "people punching each other" series that I despise.

19. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    whydoes tf vs avengers always get pinned on idw? they didn't make it. Marvel did.

20. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    They both did?

IDW Would have had to agree to the characters being used And someone must have the read scripts/plot to approve it.