Destroying Transformer Displays

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Screamers, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Screamers

Screamers Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Destroying Transformer Displays

[​IMG]

Recently I've checked around a few local stores hoping to get one of the Transformer displays after they've stop selling them as heavily.. at least for the movie displays. Some places have taken my name..but the majority of those stores have said they have to destroy them.

Which is really sad :( 

Such beautiful displays being destroyed, but what really got me today.. I was at a local Target mentioning it to one of the store employees, when the Manger came along and said. "I'd rather destroy these displays then save them for any Transformer fan." Maybe it was my Transformer movie T-shirt that turned him off. But I think it's really sad when these stores feel it would be better to destroy these displays then to give them to a fan that would really enjoy having them.

2. Vengeance1701

Vengeance1701 Well-Known Member

Yeah, unless you know someone on the inside...I've found it hard to get ANY sorta display stand stuff or better yet, the movie theater displays.

In a kind of related story... it reminds me of UConn's policy not to give our TONS of leftover food each DAY to support the homeless and the hungry due to liability issues.

Obviously different in magnitude but the same stupid mentality.

3. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    part of it has to do with the marketing and sales contracts that toy makers have with stores and theaters...plus alot of them are aware of ebay being used to resell their POP(point of presentation) displays for profit and they are really not keen on seeing someone profit on their "property".....

4. Screamers

News Credits:
    I just think it's sad that they have to be destroyed. Fine if I'm not the fan to get them. But I'm sure there are those that would love having them just as much as I would.

5. Screamers

News Credits:
    I can understand that.. but I'm not looking for a profit, I'm looking for it as collectors item. I do have a friend that works at another Target, that maybe be able to get me the display.. but I'm not holding my breath.. just in case.

6. Nemesis_Dirge

Nemesis_Dirge Banned

News Credits:
    quite a few years ago...i tried to get a display from an abco grocery store that was there for LOTR video tapes/dvds....was told by the manager that she would hold it ...left my phone #...never got a call....checked back 2 weeks later and it was gone...asked why she did not call me...just got a shoulder shrug...

some folks are just damned apathetic....

and not giving a shit about helping one or two fans out with their displays...i personally if i was a manager of a theater or record/video store i would rather have someone take it away whole and not have to bust it down and throw it away ...

7. Screamers

News Credits:
    I did get a really nice K-Mart display a few years back when the classic toy line first came out, a really cool stand up of Optimus Prime. But that's the only time, not it's displayed in the bed room ^^

But I think for the most part they just don't care. I get so tired of others acting like us fans mean nothing.. but that could be a whole topic on it's own.

8. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    I've managed to pick up the last two Trasnformer DVD shippers from the Best Buy I work at, so having an 'in' at a retail store is the way to go... Whether it be yourself, a family member, or friend...

Although I've been pretty lucky elsewhere before working for the Big Blue Box, you just have to be sincere and persistant! Let them know that you *REALLY* want it, and they'll be more likely to remember that you wanted it when it's time to take it down... If you're given the option to write your name & telephone number on the back side of it, that's probably the best way to let the person taking it down that it's wanted! Be sure to check in Saturday night or VERY EARLY Sunday morning and see when you can come in and pick it up. It'll help as well...

Just remember though, the manager you talk to probably isn't going to be the one there when it's time for the lowly Sunday grunt to take it down, so they'll probably have no idea that someone wanted it...

9. Screamers

News Credits:
    Those are the days they usually take them down then, is on Sundays? I'll have to keep that in mind and on the name thing. I have given out my name a few times, but I'll for sure remind the stores again.

10. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That reminds me that I need to take home the TF standee from my theatre.

11. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Even then it's a crap shoot. You have to be there to call "dibs" before anyone else. For example, I have a four foot tall R2 soda display in my house only because I happened to be there when it came into my store prior to the release of Episode III. The Episode II one was claimed by someone from corporate before I ever saw it.

Movie theater displays are really hard to get. For any chance at all, you need to talk to one of the managers before the display or poster arrives in the theater.

12. Matterzero

Matterzero Well-Known Member

I'm sure you can get it if you talk to the manager, I got a Darth Vader display from a kroger I used to work at.

13. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    I like the transformers endcap header I got from my Target when we took down the endcap during the 2007 movie toyline, Screamers' friend got the other one since he worked for me.

I'm actually thinking of selling it. Anyone locally interested? PM me.

14. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    First off, obviously some compensating issues there, dude wanted to be the king of his castle. Secondly, to state that in front of a customer, even if you weren't going to offer money for it rude and inconsiderate. Even if it is a store policy/requirement, still, it's the principle of the thing. Not everyone is like that thankfully, but sometimes the service culture sucks.

I have seen the giant wall stickers for Optimus at Walmart (the same types as those sports ones), and those are pretty cool too, and a lot cheaper than being dissed by someone who just had a heaping bowl of Bitter Flakes.

15. OptimusSolo

OptimusSolo Tournament Master

News Credits:
    Not to make anyone jealous but i have a closet full of transformers and star wars displays from when i worked at target...

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I tried the same trick at my local movie cinema. I even offered to take if off their hands for money. I said I would eat the cost of transport so they wouldn't have to pay their staff to take it out somewhere and set fire to it. They refused, but they were nice about it. I think if they weren't so afraid of getting sued by what whatever paranoid lunatics run the legal departments of large corporate entities they'd have agreed to let me take it.

17. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For most places, it's a corporate decision as with what to do with the larger or 3D displays. I had asked a friend that works at a TrU about getting some of the first movie displays, and he was told there was a memo circulated through management that the displays were to either be sent back to HO or be destroyed, and that giving them away was out of the question.
    On the flip side, when the US Godzilla movie came out (Yes, I LIKED it), the TrU manager I was friends with just handed me an 8-foot vinyl banner that he 'forgot' to put out. I still have it to this day. Excellent picture of Godzilla destroying a bridge.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes not.

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The bottom line is people don't care and they think you are a weirdo for wanting it. Over the past 5 or so years I've managed to get about 5 different standees after asking about 50 different stores, and two of them were from people I knew.

19. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I never knew they were destroyed. I always figured some lucky bastard got them...

I got one from a friend that worked at Best Buy as a birthday present. I would love that ROTF display with the light up eyes.

20. anemis

anemis Well-Known Member

that really sucks...