Desperate for a job, but not THAT desperate...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rattrap007, Sep 5, 2006.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well I answered an ad in the paper today for a job. It said they were hiring 15 management Trainees. Said something about appliance sales. Well other than that is was vauge. Sounds good I thought. I got my associates degree (1 last class to finish) in management. Well I call. They are doing interviews. Well I quickly eat, shower, shave, get dressed in shirt, tie, sports coat.. really nice and professional. Drive to the place. It is not the nicest place I've been in. The carpet looks well over 20 years old and needs a good cleaning. I fill out the application form and wait for an interview. Everyone else is in jeans and a T-Shirt. "How unprofessional" I think to myself. I get in and the guy tells me about the company.

Turns out it is for managing a team of 3-4 door to door vaccum cleaner salespeople... Called Kirbys. I'm kinda stunned. Here I thought it was for a Rent To Own type place. Base pay would be $1600 a month. WTF?? I'm a manager and that is all I make? Well i also get commision. Well sorta. If the commision sales exceed the payment for the week I get the commishion only. If not then I just get the base pay. Well they are having a orientation tommorow if I am interested. Uh hell no. No way I'm working my ass off like that for a crap job like that. I want a career. I want to do something like be a shift manager at a hotel and move my way up to head manager or regional. Something like that.

I may need a job, but I am not that desperate. When I told my mom she laughed. She said yeah I did not want to get a job like that ever.

oh well. Going out tommorow and pick up manilla envelopes and address labels to mail off some resumes to potential employers.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    good luck dude! working in hospitality definitely sounds better than the sales gig as you described.

3. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Yeah, that sounds pretty rotten. I'm on the hunt for work too (with two bachelor's degrees - not bragging, just saying) and all I can find is crap. The job market totally stinks.

Best of luck.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Would this be your first job as a manager?

I ask because although its shitty its also experience. You can always take it, knowing full well that you're actively looking for another job and will leave the moment a better opportunity arises.

Just a thought.

5. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I want a job as a condom tester, it would bring a whole new meaning to "I had a hard day at work."

6. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

:lol  :lol 

That made me choke on the water I was drinking

7. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Vague job advertisements are bad road Rattrap007

Did the ad say "Business opportunity" or "Job Opportunity"?Because if an ad says Business Opportunity it usually means commission.While job opportunity usually equals wage or salary.

I can TOTALLY empathize with you rattrap007.Good luck in your search:thumb 

8. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Kirby dealers are the devil. One hot girl and 2 chumps for the lifting.

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

I gotta admit, I was halfway expecting him to say stripper.

10. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

You won't get too far up the chain with just your associates. I hope you're planning for more school if that's seriously your aim.

11. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

There's a mass exodus going on in teaching right now, especially Math, Science, and Special Ed.

If you went back and finished your bachelors, you can get emergeny licensed to teach and you would have three years to get your actual license.

Just a suggestion. Teaching isn't for everyone.

The pay is ok, not great, (OK, for the amount of work I put in, it sucks). But I get to help people and I get my summers off.

12. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I HAD a position with my company, but lost it on August 15th. I'm still with the company and have benefits and all until November 15th. I really hope I can get back in with my company, even if it's another department, when I go back to work.

Now, if you want to talk about TRUE desperation, try working for UPS (or a company that contracts with them). That was, by far, the worst two years of my life (aside from my major medical problems this year).

13. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Kirby Vaccum cleaners can f*ckin rot in the deepest, darkest, shit filled cesspool of hell for all time! Never EVER invite them into your house! they wont leave! I finally picked the guys shit up put it out side and let him sit there for an hour till his douche bag manager came and got him. I was so pissed I was going to call the police........to come protect this guy from me strangling him. I hope that they get the most painful stds ever! GGGGAAAAHHHHHHHH I hate them with and anger that knows no bounds!

14. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Would you like to buy a vaccum?

15. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I will cut you. Cut you painfully. Cut you with the dullest, smallest butter knife. I swear to god I will.

;) 

16. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Among my sister's many previous job,s she actually used to work collections for Kirby. Yup, sucktacular.

As for teaching...I've been there, done that. Managing a movie theatre is a lot more fun, pays nearly as well, and has the benefit of free movies. Plus, promotion opportunities mean doing what I do on a grander scale, not school administration. Way better. My biggest problem with teaching is that the problems kept returning every day. At the theatre, we can fire the problems, and they don't come back.

-Tony!

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    *looks at sig*

HEY!

18. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

That's pretty funny because I'm also looking for a new job. I found the same ad in the newspaper with a vague job listing and promise of high pay. When I get there about a dozen teenagers are outside just hanging around. I immediately thought it was quite unprofessional because of the rowdy noise, not to mention the blarring sound system coming from the back of the complex.

After filling out an application I'm approached by their manager. We head into their office and quickly notice the KIRBY business cards....

...let's just say I quickly got out of there as fast as I could.

19. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I had never heard of them or been bothered by them. But as soon as the guy mentioned vaccum cleaner sales I knew I would not be back. I politely said I'd think about it. I laughed my ass off all the way home. Oh well. Tommorow I mail off a few resumes and hope for the best.

20. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I ask only two things of my students from life: 1. Get a job/career you enjoy. 2. Make enough money to support a family.

If you have both of those, I consider you successfull. Many times in life you have to sacrifice one of them (usually doing something you enjoy to support your family)

I have both and it sounds like you have both too, so I'm happy for you. Sorry the teaching thing didn't work out. As for fun, I have a blast being a teacher, I get to blow stuff up, I can get school pizza every day, dork out and talk about science stuff, etc...