Designing Figures, if only for fun

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Bumblemus Prime, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

I'm curious how to get started doing 3-D designs for figures. Not necessarily stuff for Shapeways, though that would be cool--it's just that I've hand-drawn some dream figures, including transformations and parts counts, that I would like to put into some visual form other than pencil scribbles.

2. King Glurch

King Glurch Star Seeker Enthusiast

YouTube:
    There's a bunch of 3D programs online that you can find for this. Tinkercad is one, but I don't know any others. I hope this helps.

3. Smitty.1981

Smitty.1981 Rusting...

News Credits:
    Yeah after drawing and engineering is done on paper the next step is computer aided drafting (CAD), or you could go old school and use wood or dense Styrofoam and carve your designs.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Moving to Creative General Discussion.

I've not done this in a while, but I love designing figures. I've never tackled a 3D program (wished I had taught myself before the 3rd party craze), but I've done nearly everything else from "scribbles", to more finished designs, to kitbashed "prototypes", to fully realized pieces.

5. Soul1138

Soul1138 New Member

I've been slowly learning Fusion 360 making very basic looking weapons for my transformers, i'm curious also if anyone would have any suggestion on how to get started better, so far i've only done things free hand minus my first model which was an energon axe that was too small for my PoTP optimus but just right for my deluxes, used a pic of a FoC version.

6. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

Is Fusion a good place to learn to draw 3-D models?

7. Soul1138

Soul1138 New Member

So far I'm gonna say yes, hasbro uses a program called solidworks which looks very similar to Fusion from the videos i've watched. I recently had a toy fair were I lived and picked up an Armada Megatron and all he was missing was his main cannon missile and rear missiles but I managed to model and print them this weekend and they fully function. I'm gonna stick to Fusion 360, make sure to look at their tutorial videos on Fusion's website so its easier to learn the program. Theres alot of videos on ball joints and general toy making on youtube aswell.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SonimagePrime

SonimagePrime Insignificant byproduct

Oh, man! I detailed my own Optimus' transformation and everything! Too bad I don't have a 3D printer...
    R.I.P Sonimage's Third Party Optimus