Design Liberties?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Hyperion, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Hyperion

Hyperion Well-Known Member

So, with the upcoming MP Starscream and all the controversy surrounding his general design and coloring, many people have mentioned that it's justified because Prime/MP-01 had plenty of liberties taken to his own design.

So I submit to you, what exactly were the changes made to Prime/MP-01 that make him not show accurate?

Thanks.

2. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Well, the whole transforming scheme really, in the cartoon things just simply retract and merge magically, the designers went to lengths to make the most of it

3. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

1: His waist didn't rotate in the show
    2: In the show, the headlights retracted to a magical "somewhere", and then his hands came out.
    3: His cab grill WAS his robot mode grill.
    Those are just off the top of my head, anyone else care to try?

4. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Those are my biggest complaints. I'd like to have seen him without the twisting waiste, the headlights somehow fold into/behind the arm, and only have on grill serving both puposes. If that'd been the case, he'd be the best Prime ever. Will, he is the best so far, but they could do better ( especially with these improvments ).

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    cartoon prime didnt have wheels, and the head was a bit different as well. it really bugs me that so far not a single prime toy has had a cartoon accurate head.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There are several small detail differences, though I think the biggest notable, in that it had nothing to do with either the original G1 toy or cartoon appeararnces, nor was it necessary for transformation design, was the "sun shade" ridge above the truck windows. I don't mind it personally, but it is one of the stronger departures from the original design visually.

A toy not transforming the exact same way as a cartoon version (or vice versa) means little to me, since only later CGI shows like Energon and Cybertron come close to true toy-accurate transformations in animation

7. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Not like the G1 shows ever had consistently animated transformations either.

If you looked briefly at a picture of Cartoon Prime next to MP Prime, I'd say 99% of the population wouldn't spot any difference, and could easily identify one as being the other.

If you compared MP Starscream with images of Cartoon Starscream, the differences would be immediately obvious. Moreover, if you tossed Skywarp and Thundercracker in the mix, I'm not sure they'd be able to tell which one the toy is supposed to represent.

8. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Prime's chest was flatter and smaller up top in the cartoon than in MP Prime as well.

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well maybe MP Convoy/20th Prime aren't exactly show accurate but they cannot be confused with anyone else. MP Starscream reminds me of the Armada animation error. I would have bought him in a heartbeat if he looked like G1 Screamer.

10. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

Personallly I think that taking liberties in something like the transformation is fine. Especially since to make a toy show accurate is very difficult otherwise.
    I think that MP Prime looks very close to his cartoon counterpart.

From what I can tell of Starscream, he strays much farther from the show. I think this is intentional, mainly because non-transformable parts (like his head) are off model. Of course his paint job is very different as well. Has/Tak was probably going for something different. They should probably not call SS a Masterpiece toy. Maybe an extension of Binaltech?

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Strictly speaking, it is a Masterpiece in the sense that it is a more realistic, upsized version of the original toy by the man who designed the original. It's Masterpiece in a different sense.
    Though I'm going to lump him in with my Alts anyway so I agree with you on that point, and honestly I think Hasbro will bring him over as a higher priced Alt.