Design concepts

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by jtscribe, May 12, 2012.

1. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

I was thinking about how Alternators manage to pull off a G1-esque aesthetic while having very detailed alt modes. Was there ever any consideration (or concept art shown) of different style of bots for the movies? I'm curious as to how they arrived at the Bayformers "metal origami" aesthetic as it really is quite unique compared to previous iterations.

2. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    While I do enjoy the Alternators aesthetic, I wouldn't call it "very detailed". Especially their alt modes. Their alt modes aren't really any more "detailed" than Bayformers. Or any other series.

It may have been considered, as the concept art seems to have covered a lot of different concepts and ideas. But I doubt we'll ever really know for sure if someone had the conscious idea to do that.

As to how they arrived at their current state, it was probably the same situation as any other visually-intensive movie: The director has an idea, they make concepts of his idea, he gives feedback, they make more concepts, he gives more feedback, and repeat. It's a spiral. They're working; getting finer and finer until they nail down the look that the director deems as complete. For Bay's case, he wanted "realistic, complex alien machines". He had in his mind a particular sense of style and design for the Transformers, and as the director, they went with it. Any director of the franchise would've done the same, but what exactly their aesthetic would've looked like is open for debate. There's no rule written anywhere that they have to choose a certain look. Director X may have gone with a more steampunk design for the characters, director Y may have chosen an Alternators-esque look, filmmaker B would've wanted even more organic, alien designs, filmmaker C might've just straight up done a 100% accurate G1 design. Who knows?

3. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BEN PROCTER // ONLINE PORTFOLIO

We really need an artbook with artist/ILM/film crew commentaries.
    Or at least a thread here or some webpage compiling all the odd snippits we get from time to time, giving us some idea of the thought process.

4. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    Starscream totally inspired the PCC Airialbot combiner core, didn't he?

5. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    I'm really glad we didn't get these! That Starscream looks so much worse than what we really got!

6. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    (I'm in no way calling you out, Bumblebee765, it's just that your post reminded me of something :)  )

It's times like these that I like to point something out to the fandom:

WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS AND TASTES ON DESIGNS. Some people love the Bayformers aesthetic, some people hate it, some people are indifferent. The above designs are much more solid and G1-esque and right here is someone who hates this aesthetic. Others will love it. Why? Because we're all entitled to our opinions and there's no one design aesthetic that is "better" or "worse" than another. There will always be someone out there who doesn't care for the chosen aesthetic.

7. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer the very detailed look we have now. It seems more alien and looks badass. I'm glad they never went with the G1-esque style

8. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Well-Known Member

As a fanatic of concepts and designs, I have to agree with Tyler Mirage on this one. It is largely a matter of personal taste and what the director believes will look good and make sense on camera. I think the 'metal origami' style cemented their alieness and fitted the style of this universe to a tee. However, if they went for steampunk stylings with rivets and pistons in the skeletal frame of the transformers, they could have changed the stylings and rules of the movie in such a way that their designs don't seem out of place. It isn't a matter of 'right and wrong', it's personal taste and perceptions that drive what character designers come up with.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Honestly They should bascially go with a more Prime/IDW esque look instead.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

With the number of parts they could have made the robots look just about any way they wanted to.

Take Iron Man. A ton of parts and up close they could show an amazing amount of detail. But once the camera pulled back it very much like the Iron Man from cartoons and comic books. So looking like a cartoon or comic book doesn't mean that you can't have complex and lots of parts.

Optimus Prime also seems to be a fairly good argument that they could have gone more G1 if they had really wanted to. Prime has loads of parts and tons of tiny details but most of the iconic details are still in the design. If you had a time machine and you could go back to the 80's with a picture of the design kids could still identify him as Optimus Prime.

I don't think it's so much that they weren't talented enough to come up with G1 inspired designs or that it's impossible to do a heavy G1 influence, it's seems like more of a choice to reject the past rather than embrace it.

11. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    I would be completely behind that idea. :D 

12. ThatCrazyGuy

ThatCrazyGuy Well-Known Member

Not feeling the Megatron here. Looks like a normal soldier kinda to me.

I think SS looks cool though. Better than the final movie one though. Damn, I hate the design of movie SS, haha.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    That's how it seems to me too. Look at what they originally were going to go with for Optimus' head before that one guy apparently came along and pushed for the more iconic design.

14. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    What was Optimus's head originally going to be?

15. TylerMirage

News Credits:
    There were literally dozens of variations (along with dozens for Bumblebee as well) and they spanned a whole field's worth of ideas. Some were more alien, some were more human, but it wasn't until later that a more finalized, iconic Optimus face was decided on.

I believe if you scroll through a thread in the movie forum called...shoot. Now I can't actually think of it. It was a massive, 50+ page thread that was stickied for a while, eagc and others had uploaded most of the concept art from the DVDs. If I find it, I'll post it here.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I knew someone would ask that. :p 

If memory serves it was a bit like a domed Bionicle mask with a grill for a mouth shaped sorta like Beast Wars Quickstrike's weird mouth snout thing. It was very un-Optimus-y.
    Then some guy stood up in the movie design meeting and said it was a disgrace to the name Optimus (or something similar) and Bay was so impressed by his emotional dedication (or whatever) he let the guy redo the head in a more traditional Optimus-style way and then it evolved from there until we got what we got.
    As for actual pictures of that earlier design, hopefully someone knows of a link because I don't have one and it would probably take forever to try tracking it down just random Googling.

17. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    ... With a giant dorito taped to his back.

18. MPrime10

MPrime10 Boomsticks.

I would be all for the movie bots in a Prime style. With less moing parts, wouldn't that make more time for making new models?

19. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    I'll take the one that doesn't look like he could be defeated by a strong breeze.

20. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Personally, I would choose the Starscream we did get in the movies. That's just my opinion though. :wink: