DEMON SOULS, Am I The only one playing this!?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by *Deathblade, Oct 15, 2009.

1. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

I dont see any topics on this. This game is pure hard, and 100% awesome! The online help system, and being able to see how others died is cool. Did anyone else pick this up?

2. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, but not because I didn't want to. This game came out at a hellova time, but I hear nothing but great things about it and how it doesn't hold your hand. Like games should be :) 

3. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never heard of this game until it got release, what is the gameplay like? What games would you use to describe it?

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oblivion, Zelda, with a merciless difficulty. But not one that cheats, just one that requires you to play carefully. It's online 4 players, and it's also online in another way. While' you are exploring, you might see a dead body on the ground. that's not a game prop, that's another player's corpse. You can explore it and see how he died... helps from making the same mistake :D 

This game deserves some serious attention, but it's never a good idea to release a potentially great game along side some killer apps that have been getting more attention, despite the difference in theme. Because gaming whores like me can't afford them all.

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Only reason I don't have this game yet is because TRU doesn't stock it. I'll eventually pick it up, probably off of Amazon or something, but not until after I finish with Brutal Legend and Uncharted 2. Way too many kick ass games coming out right about now and it plays havoc on any free time I may have once had.

6. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So you have to play online is it like WOW? I don't like those type of games where you have to rely on someone else to succeed.

7. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

It's a single player dungeon crawl, but you can choose to co-op dungeons with the dead souls of others who've died on the same level from my understanding. It's nothing like WoW, where it's a persistent and constant world where you need to form parties and groups to do stuff. Instead you're in your own world but can summon the aid of other players who have died, or be summoned yourself if you no longer have a mortal body, to work your way through a level. And as mentioned before, you can actually leave messages of sorts where you die for others to read and gain insight onto what killed you as to aid them on their quests.

There's also something about having others be able to invade your game and attack you, but I'm not too sure how that works exactly.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, definitely not WOW MMOR. Just Coop as an option.

9. ZeroEdge

ZeroEdge Geass'd

News Credits:
    I have an intrest in getting this game, but Fallout 3 GOY takes priotey for me...might ask someone to get it for me for Christmas

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You may, yes.

11. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

OK, I'll expand on the gameplay.

Its alot like a rogue-like and Baldurs gate mixed together

You are meant to die, ALOT. Its never really feels unfair, though. Most times when you die, its because you rushed into a situation unprepared. Some enemies can kill you in one or two hits, but you learn to use your souls (currency) to level up your attributes, and your equipment.

Eventually you get further and further, and learn to observe the enemy attack strategies. When you die, you leave a bloodstain. Other people can touch the bloodstain and see the last few seconds of your demise while still playing in real-time. Your game is essentially offline, but you can see other players playing their game. They show up as white siluoettes in your game, you can see them briefly for a few seconds.

The deaths and brief glimpses can often times clue you in to ambushes and strong enemies, as strong enemies often times have numerous bloodstains in the area.

Other players can join your game for good or ill, but they have to have the items to do it. Its not something they can actively abuse, unless they farm the items.

You can also leave hints at any point, see a hidden treasure, leave a hint, strong enemy ahead, leave a hint...if others find your hint useful, they can recommend it, and you get a small real-time life restoration. You can gauge how useful a hint is by looking at how many times its been recommended. You can also simply ask for help, and people can recommend you, and get a life boost that way.

This game is like nothing I have played!

12. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

This game sounds really interesting, but it's one of those games i'd like to play a demo first before I go out and buy it. As said, it's too big of a season to go out and buy every game, I wish I could try little bits of them all and decide from there.

That and for RPGs this season it's this VS Dragon Age pretty much, and that's not a fair battle.

13. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Man...I feel like if I get this game, I'll get frustrated and never finish it...but it sounds like so much fun!

Decisions...

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I got to try this game the other day and it was absolutely incredible. I didn't get too far into it, but hot dayum I loved every moment. I love everything about this game, from the highly active combat, to the interesting online element (those blood stains and messages are highly useful) to the sheer, frustrating difficulty of the game. It's certainly worth a full price purchase and I look forward to grabbing it next time I see it.

15. Nez Pierce

Nez Pierce @evildanish

News Credits:
    a little late to the party, but I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.

16. machinegeist

machinegeist Victory not Vengeance

I'm also a bit late to the party and man I adore this game. I never feel cheated in my deaths, and getting further in levels is so satisfying.

17. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Oh I hate level 5-2, the first place where dying actually feels cheap. Combine a poisonous swamp which kills your ability to roll with giant goblins that knock you down and kill you in two hits and you have some very frustrating gaming.

....it's still a great game though, but it can be such an ass to you at times :lol 

18. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im thinking of getting this game, just have some quick questions: Are the levels/dungeons set up like Diablo? Are the dungeons randomly generated?

19. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The dungeons and mob spawn points are static and always the same. But if they weren't no one would ever be able to beat them because these places are brutal. Plus, since you have to start over from the beginning if you die, having the entire layout shift around would just be too mean to players.

Either way, you should get this game. It will not disappoint. One of the best games of this gen yet one that has received absolutely no advertising. Which is a shame because this is one hell of an experience.

20. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got it this morning!!! yay me!!!

You are right; brutally hard, but not cheap. I've been playing the same stupid level over and over but im enjoying it! It got easier once i learned how to parry properly.

Looks like this one is going to take a while to beat.