Deluxe vs. FAB

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ravenxl7, Oct 26, 2009.

?

Which one's?

1. Origional Deluxes

92.0%
  2. Repainted Deluxes

4.0%
  3. Origional FAB's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Repainted FAB's

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. None of them

4.0%
  1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Basically similar to my other thread, just this time dealing with Skids and Mudflap. I'm debating which version of them to get:

-Deluxes- Complex, yet a bit too complex. Backpacks, but nice gimmicks. Detailed. Maybe even Tuner Mudflap and the inevitable repaint of Sids.

-FAB's- Simplistic, maybe a little too simplistic. No backpacks, but simpler gimmicks. Not as detailed. Most likely the repaints we've seen. The Coloration seems to be nicer on them compared to the originals.

I might also get the Legends class figures (specifically the repaints), but I want a Skids and a Mudflap to display with the main Autobot figures I have (Leader Prime, Voyager Ironhide & Ratchet, Deluxe Bumblebee, etc...).

I put a none option for those who wouldn't want any version of them.

I would have put HA as an option, but I want a Skids and a Mudflap to look more in-scale compared to the Deluxe, Voyager, and Leader class figures I already have. I may get the HA's, but to display seperatly.

My mind is currently set on the repainted FAB's, but something said in this thread could change my mind (the other thread changed my mind about Leader Megs, so same could happen here). Something about their color schemes looks good to me, and I'll have time before I need to go out and look for them.

What do you guys think?

2. DJ Soundwave

DJ Soundwave Action Figure Master

I get them All.......But if I were to choose one... the actual first released deluxes.

3. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    The deluxes are complex, but they're worth it. Everything locks in place, and the more time I spend with them, the more I like them. The main issues I have with them are the loose knee joints, and the counter-intuitive roof transformation. Beyond that, they're very well thought out figures and they look fantastic.

I also like their gimmicks.

4. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    If you are after ones that are movie accurate colorwise and more scale accurate, you have no other choice than the original releases. FABs are generally less detailed and larger than deluxes (so kiddies can transform them easier) and basically just oversized legends figures with an added gimmick. Also, deluxes are far more poseable and cost less than FABs.

Here's Peaugh's reviews of FAB Skids (with comparison) YouTube - ROTF FAB Skids and FAB Mudflap (without comparison): YouTube - ROTF FAB Mudflap

5. Zress Tayasu

Zress Tayasu Axiom

cost less? I thought they cost the same. must be a matter of what store you go to.

for skids I'd suggest the deluxe, tho warn you to be careful with the roof 'cause it's a bit finicky and if you do it exactly wrong, *SNAP*. for mudflap, I'd like to say the deluxe, but honestly the FAB's grappling middlefinger gimmick has all too much "lol" written all over it. lot of character to that even for a simplistic thing.

but that doesn't mean you have to take my views or anything :B

6. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Deluxes have been on sale to about $10, but never FABs. So they usually cost $2 more.

I only have Ice Cream Skids and Mudflap, but from what I've seen, the deluxes are a better choice. FABs just don't do it for me.

(BTW, if you don't have the I.C. version of the Twins, you should get them too - they're just plain awesome, mostly in alt mode, but scale-wise more correct in bot mode)

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Movie accuracy isn't a concern of mine, both color and scale wise. I just think that the HA figures would be so blaringnly out of scale compared to the other figures on the shelf that they wouldn't fit in at all. Where as the FAB's, while still larger than the Deluxes, still fit in relatively well. As for the simplicity of the FAB's, it doesn't bother me that much. The cartoon-ishness of them sort of fits the characters, imo. As for their cost compared to Deluxes, they're only a dollar more.

There are a couple of things that bother me about the Deluxes, which is the reason I'm considering getting the FAB's instead. The Deluxe's heads just look tiny compared to their bodies, Skids has mismatched shades of green plastic, they actually appear to be overly complex, and parts of their limbs seem to be too thin when compared to their bodies. Still, I'm not counting them out entirely. I still might be able to find Deluxe Mudflap at Target, but I doubt I'll be able to find a Skids (never did see any of him anyways). I might get lucky the next time I go to K-mart, but their stock is even more unpredictable than Target's is.

Watched his reviews of these two a couple of times. It's too bad he wasn't able to do a comparison for the Mudflap one. Skids is bigger, but not as bigger as the HA version.

Edit: On a side note, if someone has both the Deluxes and the FAB's, or at least the FAB's and a movie Deluxe (Sideswipe, one of the many CC Bumblebee's, Landmine, etc...), could you post some comparison pics? Most importantly in bot-mode, but some alt-mode shots would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for anybody who can do that for me.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Original Deluxe, but I'd take a repaint Deluxe over a new FAB anyday.

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Original deluxes. A little overcomplicated, but become easy and fun real quick

10. Empir3

Empir3 Bedstructicon Empir3

Human Alliance :O

11. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Out of that list, I would have to say the original deluxes. Good transformation and awesome little figures.

I would HIGHLY recommend the HA versions, though, even if the scale is whack. They are just that good.

12. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
    Fixed the price, and the part about cartoonishness could apply to the deluxe's smaller heads and disproportionate limbs. You are correct that the deluxes are a little complicated, but I personally like a challenge and I find transforming the toy to be at least half the fun. If you are going to be playing with these figures or posing them, the deluxes are far superior still. However, it's up to you. I don't really like FABs so I'm biased, but I honestly think you'll be more satisfied with the deluxes in the end.

I would post pics, but I am at work. Also I don't have those FABs so all I could show would be their Deluxes, Ice Cream truck, Legends and HA Skids so I don't know if that would help.

As for their availability, my local Walmart is overflowing with Skids and Mudflap. If you want help getting them, I can maybe send one to you, but it shouldn't be a problem finding them around.

13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, I would go with the Deluxe all the way, for me the FABs just look goofy and are set more for kids. As others have said, the scale is pretty good with the figures that you have, and they are pretty well detailed.

If money doesn't really matter, I would also throw a vote for Human Alliance. Grant it they will be a little out of scale, but (atleast Skids) is pretty damn small for a HA figure, and not all that much bigger than the deluxe, especially if you give him a nice pose, and I am assuming that HA Mudflap will be similar.

14. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz Autobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Here's some size comparisons for you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's HA Skids behind them
    [​IMG]

I also have the legends and the ice cream truck, so if you want pics of them let me know.

I prefer the FABs over the Deluxes, mainly because they are easier to transform.

15. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I will answer the poll,even tho I like the deluxes better for their
    detail,the FAB's do look as good as the deluxes in alt mode. Oh and
    the major part that tips the scale in which I like more is the rolling
    feature,the deluxes just don't do that on 90% of them,but the FAB's
    with there bigger wheels and lack of alt mode kibble underneath make
    them a lot easier to roll.

So three out of four things I like most in the FAB's and these
    are it.
    1.Playability (play with mine all the time,deluxes I just display)
    2.accuracy (tho not as good as deluxes,still okay)
    3.durability (these things can withstand a 4 year old perfectly)
    4.transformation (the one problem,wish they were a little harder to transform)

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Might be different in your area, but FAB's are only a dollar more than Deluxe's at the Target I go to.

I honestly don't see that as being Cartonny. The FAB's on the other hand have a sort of chibiness to them. Basically their more simplistic look makes them appear more like hand drawn cartoon characters when compared to the Deluxes.

Comparisons of the Deluxes and HA Skids compared to a Movie Deluxe I already have (CC Bumblebee for instance) would be nice.

Depends, if you could get ahold of a gold-toothed Skids, a Mudflap with his name on the license plate (instead of saying Trax), and an Interrogator Barricade (I've been having a hard time finding him too), I might be interested. I'm going to try and find some pictures that show the FAB's next to other, regular, movie figures before deciding. If I decide to go with the Deluxe's, I'll pm you.

Thanks for the pics. I'm kind of surprised to see that HA Skids isn't as large as I thought he would be compared to the Deluxe and FAB versions of him. Any chance you could take some comparison pictures of them next to a CC Bumblebee? or pretty much any other movie Deluxe figure? (Landmine, Sideswipe, Rampage, for examples). Thanks in advance if that's possible. I'm curious to see how the size difference between the Deluxe's, FAB's, and HA Skids affects them when next to something I already have in my collection.

The one major thing that bothers me about Deluxe Skids, is the mismatched green used for him. The car parts that are green seem to be a movie accurate color, while the robot only parts appear to have a more turquoise-ish tinge to them.

17. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I voted for the Original Deluxes, they are pretty good figures. Much better then the FABs. I have never purchased any of those, I think they are kiddie toys(which they are). I would pass on the HA of Skidz, as it isn't that much better then the deluxe, like Bee is.

18. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like my deluxes. The back pack isn't too bad either IF you transform it properly. I see a lot of people leave them unfolded but the backpacks fold in on themselves pretty nicely. They are still there, but in a way that makes them look like short, muscular characters.

19. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz Autobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:

I'll get some more pics for you later today.

20. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    Deluxe class sounds like what you are looking for, But HA Skids is awesome.