Deluxe: the perfect size class?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Basketball Jones, May 1, 2008.

1. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones Decepticon

Personally, I find deluxes to be the best balance between size, price, and quality for Transformers figures- smaller figures may be less detailed or articulated, while larger figures often have gimmicks or balance problems.

The $10 price tag is very convenient as well- Voyagers are OK in terms of price, but $30 or $50 figures tend to be shelfwarmers, and spending $30 on a toy you may not enjoy is a disappointment.

Because of these factors, I welcomed Universe Galvatron's resizing to Deluxe- while the color scheme is a bit wonky, the figure's scale would fit in much better with the rest of the series.

2. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

seconded, for sure. it's like the size of the 84-85 cars as well.

3. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    MPs...

4. unicronhq

unicronhq Banned

News Credits:
    they are crap...leader, ultra or mega supreme taco size are the way to go....

Personally any of the deluxe or scout size or basic or what ever have all been junk...the larger ones....leader brawl, etc....no problems what so ever
    personally i just read about reviews or other folks writeups before i spend the $$$ on a TF anyway....

5. Nerdling

Nerdling Plastic Crack Addict

Ebay:
    Getting a Leader figure right is tough. But Movie Prime is pretty spectacular.

I own more Deluxes than any other kind of TF, and with the amounts there are it's more likely you'll find a good Deluxe than a good anything else.

6. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Get a simple character, a solid design, and a Deluxe toy can be extremely satisfying. Probably my favorite class, it is Hasbro's most popular.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i agree!

8. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    I'm all over Deluxes. A few good voyagers are okay too, like the classics Prime mold. Also, the Animated Leaders seem to do a very good job of representing their characters.

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I'd say either Deluxe or Voyager are my favorites. Deluxes are nice and compact, but a well-done Voyager has a nice heft to it. Bigger than that feels ungainly to me, and scouts are often too simple.

10. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Deluxes are great. But I, personally, welcome all sizes of TF's.

I'm actually pretty bummed we're not getting any scouts/basics this year.

Supreme sized toys have the biggest rate of dissapointment for me. Supreme Cheetor just sucked. Not looking forward to "roll out and command animated prime". Primus and Unicron were way out of scale (not that they could've done it any other way) and Energon Omega Supreme is cool but I'd prefer g1 colors.

I'd prefer city bots in that size.

Sorry, back on topic. Deluxes are my faves. Affordability, quantity and quality!

11. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    To be honest I think all the class sizes are generally even. Some lines have better toys in certain class sizes but overall I find I dont have a preference in this regard and all sizes have an even keel of pro's and con's.

As an aside to this though I find myself not liking any Animated deluxe's wile increasingly digging the larger class sizes.

12. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Deluxe is the size class for *CARS*. Jets & tanks & anything else that's bigger than a car in real life should stay out of the deluxe class. I'm lookin at you Classic Starscream!

Galvatron was a laser cannon. They can keep their stupid tank.

13. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    that's pretty much, imo, why deluxe is the best overall size class, for me anyway. lots of cars or car-like stuff for car lovers. (but i completely disagree with keeping other stuff out... classic and E starscream are perfect examples of awesome) regardless, it's pretty easy to be the best overall size class when you have sheer numbers on your side as well.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

On the whole, I definitely favour Deluxes; I think they have the best overall mix of size and value. They're big enough to be detailed, with interesting transformations and sculpting, but small and cheap enough to be a decent impulse buy. They also just feel a nice size in your hands.
    Voyagers would be a close second, especially for command-type figs.

I like Ultras for a handful of figs, and Supremes should be reserved really for base-bots, in my opinion. Leader class seems a little redundant, I think. Scouts are okay, but again seem kind of unnecessary, since they're only a couple of dollarpounds cheaper than the Deluxes.

I also really like the micro Minicon scale, because while the figures may be very small, it makes it more practical for larger-scale displays/play, since you can get several figs in a fairly cheap pack, and you can store/display more of them in the same area as a larger fig. I've got a big love-on for Micromasters.

15. DJCHARTERS

DJCHARTERS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i much prefer deluxes bar a few that i think should be voyagers, or ultras. while i love powerglide i wish he was at most a deluxe as displaying him now will look odd as i cant put him with the other minibots

16. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Yes, he WAS a laser cannon. But NOW he's a tank. Quite simple when you think about it.

Yeh, Deluxes and Voyagers rock. Scouts sometimes lack some points of articulation (like elbow/knee swivels). And Ultras and Leaders...okay, they rock, but a bit pricy.

I've never owned a Supreme, so I can't say much there.

17. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

The laser canon =fail TANK MODE FTW!

18. Necrophon

Necrophon Speaker of Death TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'd have to say that most of my favorite figures in the last few years have all been deluxe sized, however I also have a fondness for a few of the voyager figures. I think that if a TF is larger than a voyager it should be only to keep them in scale to the other figures because of their alt mode etc.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    This from a guy with a deluxe jet avatar.

20. BarBoBot

BarBoBot Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. I like when the figures are in scale with each other.