Deluxe is too small for triple changers & gestaults

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by lee9, Feb 13, 2012.

1. lee9

lee9 Well-Known Member

I've seen alot of people hoping for deluxe Blitzwing. I feel the deluxe triplechangers so far have had potential, but were ultimately hampered by the need to fit into the simplicity of deluxe. A bump up in size class would have done WONDERS. I love triplechangers and hopefully Hasbro will allow them the complexity they need.

2. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    When have you ever seen a hope for Deluxe Blitzwing? I always hear the chant for Voyager or 3rd Party

3. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I would like Blitzy to be a Deluxe only because Astrotrain and Octane were. But, by the time we get one, Voyagers may be the size of deluxes, so Voyager may fit in.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    My G1 Blitzwing is pretty cool (and small), and the most famous combiner of all (Devastator) was made up of scout/basic sized figures back in the day too.

However, those were much more blocky, where newer shit isn't, so...

5. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Since toys are smaller now, I just say they bite the bullet and make Voyager Blitzwing. Of course, they should do it when they have a line more similar to "Universe" with it's varied size classes.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    As the engineering continues to improve, they'll become able to make smaller toys do more. A really great triple-changer at current Deluxe size won't always be impossible.

That said, I'll always prefer larger toys.

7. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I don't doubt that, but I think a triple changer at Voyager Scale right now would just feel a lot more hefty. I don't really like Deluxes anymore since they feel so fragile.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If it was up to me, nearly everything would be at least a Voyager or larger anyway. I thought the old Deluxe size was a little small for my tastes anyway, never mind the new, smaller Deluxe size.

9. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Deluxe is fine or FoC Bruticus' limbs. The body looks scrawny and i think Onslaught should be a voyager to fill it out.

10. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I'm trying to figure out exactly in what way Astrotrain was "hampered" by its need to be triple-changing.

Octane I understand complaints about, though I still love the figure.

And given that engineering and transformation complexity have risen in the years since both of those toys were designed, this thread's point is all but moot.

A Deluxe Triple-Changer is just as achievable now as it was in 2006. Maybe more-so.

11. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Meh, G1 Astrotrain and Blitzy disagree with you.

12. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I also hope we get voyager Triplechangers. :)  I think the gestalt/combiner pieces from deluxes are okay though, considering aside from the leader, most were always smaller figures (except for maybe Predaking) in previous releases.

13. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I certainly like the idea of doing combiners where each robot is bigger than a deluxe. That way, we get a super tall gestalt.

14. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

^
    Except modern Deluxe figures, even the smaller ones, are already much bigger than individual G1 gestalt bots. Did uber-expensive, huge, third-party Gestalt bots totally warp people's wants?

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

We got Astrotrain as a deluxe and the Generations line has down sized Prime and Megatron to the deluxe size so I don't have any problem with Blitzwing being deluxe size. Given how relatively simple the G1 Blitzwing toy was I don't think it's lack of skill with the deluxe size that is holding Hasbro back.

As to combiners, are you kidding deluxe size is great. You get the individual robots in the deluxe scale so they fit right in with your other Generations figures but then when you combine them together they are going to look big next to all those other deluxe sized figures. If you want small like someone else said look at the G1 Constructicons, that's tiny compared to modern figures.

16. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I think non-downsized Deluxe would be perfect for Blitzwing. It would match the other two, and I honestly don't think they were so crippled by the size. Astrotrain was phenomenal, his only flaws were the back of the train mode and the (logical) choice to make him a bullet train rather than a steam locomotive. Octane had his issues, but he had two great vehicle modes and a pretty solid robot mode. Most of people's problems are more problems with the design choices, rather than technical problems.

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Deluxe has become my favorite size class over time, and they have improved in complexity and engineering over time. If they really wanted to I've no doubt they could pull off a decent deluxe Blitzwing.

18. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I'd want a deluxe Blitzwing in order to be on par with the other two classic-style triple-changers. I know it can be done and still look good in all 3 modes (with maybe one or two of the modes looking better than the other(s)).

However I must point out that upgrading to a voyager does not necessarily make the difference in making a better figure. Just look at Animated Blitzwing, he had just as many issues as the deluxe triple-changers even with his larger size.

19. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I don't think the modern deluxe class is too small to engineer triple changers. Classics Astrotrain was very well done. And Classics Octane, despite some issues, was pretty decent. Also, it must be said that FP Springer is close to being a deluxe-sized figure. That's another example of a well-done deluxe triple changer.

20. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Good
    Voyager Animated Shockwave
    Deluxe Classics Astrotrain

The Bad
    Voyager Animated Blitzwing. . .could have been better
    Deluxe Classics Octane
    Ultra Energon Scorponok. . .could have used a little variety in jet mode

The Ugly
    Leader Cybertron Optimus Prime. . .his alt mode was horrible, flying mode even worse.
    Leader Cybetron Megatron
    Deluxe ROTF Soundwave
    Voyager ROTF Mixmaster

The biggest problem is that Hasbro tries to get cute. Voyager would make a good triple changer with simple transformations that hides everything but Hasbro wants voyagers to have a certain intermediate level of transformation (except for ultra Silverbolt, WTF). Leaders are worse because they have to work around the electronics gimmick.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012