Deluxe Insecticons? Who the Hell?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I was going through my little G1 collectors booklet, and noticed that there were several "Deluxe Insecticons". There were about 5-6 of them I think, maybe 4-5 in what looks like transparent colors, orange and something else I believe. Well, whatever colors they were, who the hell were they?
    The Deluxe Insecticons were never mentioned in any episode or comic book that I'm aware of. They weren't in any movie that I know of. Their ugly as heck, and I haven't seen any of them anywhere anyway!

So what were they? Were they trying to increase the Insecticon line up and it didn't work or something? Puzzled..........................

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Deluxe_Insecticon

only mentions toy.

2. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Taken directly from the TFwiki, Venom's entry:

Basically, similar situation to why Jetfire appeared as "Skyfire" in the cartoon: Bandai owns the molds, and Takara didn't want them featured in Transformers. So far, the only time the Deluxe Insecticons have been featured in fiction is with Marvel UK and Dreamwave.

3. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Yes they were only in the toy line. The description explains why they werent in the fiction (cartoon or comics).

4. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I've got those....

[​IMG]

As far as I know they were never a part of the fiction. They came out in series two right along side of the regular Insecticons we all know and love. The only transparent parts to these figures were the wings on Venom and Ransack.

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The simplest explanation for all the unusual stuff that hit in 1985 was the explosive success of the first wave of TFs... Hasbro basically tried to license every transforming robot toy they could get their hands on and bring it into the Transformers line; hence Shockwave, Jetfire, the Deluxe Insecticons, Whirl & Roadbuster, Omega, Sky Lynx, plus a number of the previously untapped Microman and Diaclone molds.

The explanation in the wiki quoted a few posts up is the reason why there wasn't inclusion in the fiction for some of those guys.

6. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had Ransack as a kid. Didn't specifically want him, but got him as a gift. Except that his arms couldn't move forward (not that G1 is known for great articulation, but this was exceptionally bad)- he was actually a really cool toy. I liked him just as much as my regular insecticons (possibly more, but unsure on this). I definitely liked him better than Kickback (the only normal insecticon I never bothered to get- my brother did have him though).

Rnasack is worth a look (and Chopshop MIGHT be as well). The rest do seem a bit sketchy to me (although not nearly as sketchy a number of Transformers produced from wave 4 of G1 on until sometime later).

7. AMG

AMG Old School

I always wanted those as a kid, especially Barrage.

8. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I have a complete Barrage and I thinhk he's great. As a kid I also had Chop Shop, and I like the idea of havimg all of the Insecticons together swarming on some helpless Autobot. (Wheelie seems like the best victim for a mass swarming) :) 
    I plan on getting the rest of these deluxe Insecticons to complete my '85 collection. They are all pretty cool, IMO.

9. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I had a Venom and I loved it as a kid. A jerkass neighbor broke his wings when I borrowed it to him for a second (said it was not on purpose). I smashed his AT-ST in retaliation.

10. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    The deluxe insecticons were childhood holy grails of mine from seeing them in the '85 catalog, and the first grail-type figures I tracked when playing turned into collecting. I definitely recommend them!

11. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have both the deluxe and regular insecticons, and although the regular ones are better defined in fiction, the deluxe insecticons are better figures. They're more complex than the regular ones by a long shot.

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Try clicking on the names of the Insecticons in the link you, yourself, provided to see the entries on what mediums they've been included in.