Minor/Repaint: Deluxe Dropkick -- Casual Touchups

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ShadowStitch, Nov 27, 2007.

1. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Because I can never seem to leave any of my figures untouched for long... I present to you the latest of my casual touch-ups, Dropkick!

Once again, everything here was done with just a few basic tools, as I outlined in this thread here. Anyone can get the same results (or better!) with just a handful of paint pens and permanent markers, some Q-tips, goo gone, paper towels and a screwdriver.

On with the pictures!

[​IMG]

I made only the most minor of additions to the alt mode...primarily a slightly darker grey wash in the door panel lines, a black wash in the gas-cap, door, and tailgate handles, and some black wash and highlight to the super-plain grey grille. I gave the fog lights and turn signals a silver and gold highlight respectively, but otherwise tried to leave his alt mode alone. He's got enough fantastic decoration going on already.

It's practically invisible here, but you can barely see (above the gas cap) where I replaced the rear truck fenders pivot joints with screws, because I got tired of them popping off all the time. I used to hate that joint, but it works great now! Rock solid! Although the first screw I used was too long, and caused the outer part of the plastic to pooch out slightly...I haven't completely fixed that yet, so you can still see it in the photo. Oops.

[​IMG]

A rear view, with the bed cover and spoiler on. Nothing particularly exciting here except the black wash under the tailgate and the license plate frame. The good ol' silver sharpie is great as always for filling in blank side mirrors.

[​IMG]

The tailgater's worst nightmare. I simply did a silver sharpie marker wash on the black prongs -- coated the whole thing with silver sharpie then rubbed it off with a paper towel. The resulting stain is grey on the highlights, and silver in the recessed grooves, which really makes it look a lot more like the brushed steel it was intended to be.

[​IMG]

And here he is in robot mode. I apologize for the "wet look" of some of the paint apps, as my camera brings out the worst in glossy paint. Outside of flash photography it's actually quite nice. (Mental note: Learn to take better photos)

Let's see here... First off, you can see I've changed his eye visor color from a dark red to a metallic purple using a Purple Roseart Colorsharp, and given his whole head a selective black wash so it matches the rest of the grey body panels. The chest and hips area is really intricately detailed, but you can't really see much of it unless you give it a good dark wash. Since he's a decepticon, a black wash suits him, and I highlighted a few techy bits with silver to make them stand out.

His upper arms also got a bit of silver marker wash to highlight some of the panel lines, and the forearms got a diluted black wash to bring out the shadows in the crevices and a few silver highlights here and there to accentuate panels and such.

[​IMG]

More of the same, just from a different angle. I drilled holes in his gun barrels as well, to give them a little more authenticity, and gave his fists a silver wash so they would stand out against the rest of his like-colored forearms. I also dusted all of the grey interior body panels with a swab of diluted black, then rubbed off the highlights to add some visual interest.

You can also see the metal panel wash I did on the roof underside, behind his head. It's almost just like what I did with Longarm, except on this figure the underlying color is purple, so when I finished wiping off the highlights, it appears to be a purple grid overlaying a metal base, which is a pretty neat effect.

[​IMG]

This picture is probably unnecessary, but here it is anyways. I like to draw on parts, like his cowl, with a metallic sharpie then rub it off with goo gone. Almost all of it comes off, but it leaves a slightly metallic sheen, which makes the black look like a really dark metal.

Also, barely visible on his left arm there, you can see how dusting the highlights of a solid colored part edge with silver makes it look like worn, bare metal.Sort of the opposite of a wash. You can see this on lots of pro models, and on many of Jin Saotome's customs. I don't do it often because it's no good having highlights rub off when you don't WANT them to, but it sure looks spiffy.

[​IMG]

Transformer money shot. What's cool is that with some highlighting, you can see how his crotchplate is supposed to be the upper and lower grille segments, all bent out of shape, with the same fog lights from the front of the car and what looks like the air intake of an engine there on his belly.

You can also see the silver highlights on the black upper legs, but it's too hard to see the detail on his leg pistons. Again, this is a magnificent sculpt, but you only really see some of the details once they've had a wash or highlight. Since the upper leg panels only RESEMBLE part of the alt mode, and aren't visible anywhere outside of bot mode, I decided to give them some panel line highlights, fill in the little vents there, and highlight any protruding cables.

[​IMG]

A sort of pointless top-down pose. I'm sad that you never see one of the coolest sculpted areas, the bit under the truck bed, where it folds up on his back. It has some really neat sculptural details that I went ahead and decorated anyways, even if you never see them in either mode. But I didn't take and photos of them either, so it appears they're forever doomed to remain hidden.

[​IMG]

And speaking of bits you'll never see, here's the underside of his pincer-grabber-claw thingy. Again, I went ahead and gave it a quickie wash and highlight because it was there, but you'll never really see it. It's kind of a shame, even if it is one of the most retarded action accessories I've ever seen outside of a Batman figure.

Anyways, that's it for Dropkick, one of my absolute favorite figures from the movie line, especially now that he's sporting his wicked new look. Fingers crossed for an Autobot remold!

2. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Nice! You always do excellent work. I like how the claw thingy turned out.

3. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    It is casual touches like yours that can turn an awesome figure, into a stellar one. NICE work, well done. Looks awesome.

4. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very nice work, I likey

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've really been enjoying your work here recently. Keep up the slick work man! :thumb 

6. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kick ass, I mean really kick ass. Love the bot mode details, they really flesh him out. For your camera try better lighting with no flash in macro mode, see how that goes or pm me for any questions. Don't worry about the Autobot version, mine will be done soon enough, painting him is taking way longer than expected so it might be a while. Again, great job.:thumb 

7. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice work. He is my favorite mold too.

8. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

wow, makes all the difference doesn't it? Makes me wonder if we would have half as much fun if Hasbro actually took the time to do decent paint works on the toys.

9. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

Hmm...yeah, I have a sort of plan for a better camera setup than what I have now...which is to say, a notebook propped under a directional lamp. :\ I've been using Macro mode, but the flash really kills the shading because it highlights the gloss, reversing the intended effect! Next batch of pics I take, I'll try some new stuff and your suggestions...(and maybe take pictures during the day instead for a change)

Yeah! It's much nicer than my pictures would indicate, as the photos show... I dunno how to say it exactly...TOO much detail. The figures are small, and a subtle shadowy wash shows up better in person when you're holding it in your hands.

Touching up figures is fun and all... but I can't say I'd complain if the factory paint apps were a little more thorough from the get go. They really do have some magnificently detailed sculpts on the movie line that are lost in ignominy thanks to the lack of paint highlights. It's only that I started doing these touch-ups that I've seen every inch of the figure molds and start to appreciate them more.

10. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    The metallic look really makes this toy awesome. Nice work.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, as much as more and more factory paint apps would be cool, let's just be grateful the sculpt is there for the detail. As many have noted, pulling out the details isn't that hard anyways (and it makes the toys look good a lot of times! :) )

Some of the guys who went on the Hasbro tour during Botcon could [please do] give an accurate account of how much additional paint apps would cost. Our $10 deluxes wouldn't be $10 anymore . . . .

. . . add to that fact people would still be complaining about the paint apps regardless. :lol 

12. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

Dropkick has the Autobot drone head, but the Decepticon insignias

Nice job, you're a master at the Sharpies!

13. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

dude that rules I love it

14. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

pretty slick

15. Tracks_25

Tracks_25 We rollin'

Looks killer! :thumb