Minor/Repaint: Deluxe Dark of the Moon Bumblebee *WIP*

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Will Trans, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Will Trans

Will Trans Well-Known Member

The Bumblebee toy in it's original paint job doesn't do the figure justice so I decided to try to paint it on my own and make it as movie accurate as I possibly can. I'm using testor's enamel paints, notably these with a mix of other metallic paints and a few lacquers to go over both the yellow plastic and the painted flat yellow portions.

This is also my first custom paint job but there's still a lot more work to be done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one thing that continues to bug me is the racing stripes looking so rough on the back end of the car. I had used a combination of masking tape and regular tape but I ended up using regular tape more since masking tape was too porous so the paint would seep into other if not properly sealed.

I might have to sand it down with a sanding sponge and redo it but I used metallic gloss black since it's extremely hard for me to try to replicate that carbon fiber look that the mirrors/racing stripes/black parts go for in the movie. I've also found that the helmet is pretty tricky to get right since there's supposed to be a more recessed area in where the silver nodules and the "ears/antennae" go but I've seen other customizers basically leave that area alone but we'll see how it works out once I apply a darker color in between the antennae and the nodules.

The back spoiler has been removed due to detailing and in order to paint the racing stripes but are movie accurate since they have the yellow tipped sides.

I just have to:

• Add the black metallic parts to the shoulder/arm area as well as underneath
    • Use paint thinner to clean up the overpaint
    • Use more coats of flat yellow on various parts of the legs with an overlay of turn signal yellow
    • Fill in other details like licence plate number and other little metallic parts
    • Finish going over the toy's natural yellow with the Turn Signal Yellow Amber color, for those wondering, this type of yellow is more of a gloss with an added bit of a gold/metallic look which I've used on mostly the exterior car parts.