Deluxe Class price to rise after New Financial Year?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by griffin-of-oz, May 13, 2012.

1. griffin-of-oz

griffin-of-oz Ozformers site-owner

News Credits:
    While doing up my annual BotCon coverage (check it out here) I noticed that all the Deluxe Class Labels in the Hasbro Display with a release date of July onwards, had a $2 price rise over the figures released before that month.
    (or someone at Hasbro misprinted the labels, because the Generations labels were misprinted with $24.99 instead of $14.99)

Deluxe Class had an increase about 3 years ago from US$9.99 to US$12.99 (recommended price, plus tax... most stores were selling them at US$12 though).
    Then the size-class has had a size/volume/weight shrinkage in the last year.
    And now this year there looks to be an increase of another US$2, taking it up to US$14.99 (recommended price, plus tax).

None of the other size classes shown at BotCon appear to have a price rise, probably because the Deluxe Class is the one with the highest sales volume... so adjusting costs/size & price of that size class would have the most significant impact on the total profitability of the Brand.

So sometime after the middle of the year, as restocks in America occur, retail prices could go up an extra $2 (from whatever each store-chain currently prices them at).

A couple of photos from BotCon showing the price rise:
    BEFORE NFY
    http://www.toycollectors.com.au/bc12/h79.jpg

AFTER NFY
    http://www.toycollectors.com.au/bc12/h76.jpg

Has anyone heard anything official about this yet? Hasbro issued a press release last time, but I haven't seen anything this time.

Maybe someone in America could ask Hasbro (America) if we are looking at another price rise in the Deluxe Class after the new financial year? Because a price rise in America will mean a price rise for the rest of us around the world. And usually double the increase in America too. :( 

I'm not in America, so can't ask (all emails are bounced back to Australia, who won't say).

2. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    A price increase isn't usually the be-all and end-all. I don't think I've paid full-price for a figure in the last few years. Not everywhere charges full-whack, even on new stuff, so it always pays to look around.

Everytime a new TF line is due to start there's someone flagging up a mention somewhere of a price increase, which often never happens when the time comes. Each time someone that's in the retail 'know' will tell us that Dexluxes here in England will be £15 for the next line and then they're not. Occasionally a store here will push their luck with £14, but when the other stores are still £13 or lower they have to drop their prices to compete, unless they know they have harder to find figures and they'll probably still sell at that higher price.
    When you think about it that $3 increase you mention (and across all the Class sizes at that time) from a few years ago has really been the only one to stick. Although stuff like Cyberverse Commanders have kinda snuck an increase in through the backdoor through a new Class size with smaller figures but Scout-size prices.

I suppose at the very least a price raise would mean the baseline of any discounts or sales would be raised too though so a few pounds or dollars off RRP would mean it's then only the same price as it was before the increase, which people were waiting on sales for to avoid previously.

Just have to accept the price of our hobby is going to increase more over the next few years (along with shrinking figure size) and do the best we can to soften the blow. Sure that may mean not grabbing everything straight away at full retail and waiting for sales, or buying online (perhaps in groups with other fans to get a bulk discount), or even skipping some figures entirely and just picking up what you might really really want.

Personally I've bought far less figures over the last year. It helped that the DotM line wasn't that interesting to me. With the TFP line I'll just wait and see how it comes as stuff is so poorly case-assorted I can't be arsed to put much effort into searching things out anymore.
    But that's just me.

Hopefully though someone will have the info you asked for. I don't want a rise of course, but I suppose some things can't stay static forever, as much as we'd like them too.

3. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    Generations at $25 each?! What, are they TFP FE figures again? TRU only?

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    When you mentioned this to me before I didn't realise there were different pricings on the different waves. Disappointing :( 

I still expect the bigger retailers like Walmart to swallow some or all of the price increase, so the real bad news will be for the smaller retailers who don't have capacity to do that.

Overseas is definitely going to see a hit off of this though, which I think is going to be the bigger issue for guys like you and me, although for the UK we don't have sales tax as such (our VAT is included on the price on the pegs rather than added at the tills) which at least helps.

I can see Canada getting the raw deal of this especially given the parity in the currencies right now.

5. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    I find it unlikely that the Prime line will get a sudden price increase halfway (or less) through its run.

HOWEVER, I can easily see $14.99 being MSRP for the next round of Generations (while it didn't officially "end", from the indications I've seen, the next wave, FoC wave 1, is all but "restarting/refreshing" the line at retail). Hasbro's done "collector premium" on innumerous Star Wars lines through the years, I don't see it as inconceivable that we might see such a thing on Generations, especially if retailers are going to eat any price increases on the mainline toys.

6. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    An acceptable blow to our cause. I suppirt the notion that, though smaller, today's toys hae a corresponding increase in complexity.

7. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You think that's bad? The TRU nearest me sells Deluxes at $16.99, and Voyagers at a $26.99. Hows that?

8. mirarage

mirarage Agent of Primus

News Credits:
    I saw a $2 jump tonight on prime figs at a target i passed through.
    Not sure about any other local target, though.

9. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Price of oil increase and factory price increase means you have to pay more...its not a hard equation.
    They tried making them smaller, but it just costs more to make now.

When you're paying $22 for a deluxe (like the UK does) then you can complain.

Until then, shush.

10. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, not to mention Cyberverse upscaled from DOTM for some reason. Seriously, the Commanders are a good third bigger.

11. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    Deluxes seem to have not changed much at all in my experience here in Canada. I remember paying about $14 for deluxe Beast Wars stuff and now you can find deluxes in the $13-15 range. So, not too shabby. It's still bull that Canadians pay so much more than in the US given the dollar has been at par for so long. Voyagers have been $30 as long as I can remember. I think that one hurts the most as I hear they used to cost only about $20US.

As an adult collector, I really wish they wouldn't also cut down size and paint, I don't mind paying higher prices. But at the end of the day, I concede that Hasbro needs to sell to kids primarily, so I don't mind a compromise.

12. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    TRU will add another $2-$5 to it.

13. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

I don't get why people even shop there except for exclusive TRU stuff. It's always cheaper to go elsewhere and they usually have newer stuff.

14. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well in Canada, the only stuff that's cheaper in places other than TRU are when London Drugs/Superstore/Wal-Mart/whatever has the odd old product on clearance. Other than that, things are pretty stream lined (17 before taxes for deluxes, 30 for voyagers, 60 for leaders), and TRU's often the only place even worth checking because nobody else has current product for the most part. Plus, they also have sales on a regular basis, so if you're willing to wait &/or hide shit, you don't even need to pay full retail all the time.

... so yeah, that's why we tend to shop there.

15. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Only thing clearanced in TRU near me is Robot Heroes for $2. They used to put KreOs on clearance but seems to not only reversed it but also added another $3-$10 to KreOs. Classic TRU move.

16. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TF toys in future will be more & more expensive,we can bet on it

17. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    Hike on Prime SRP midline?

My first instinct is that they're simply padding the SRP to justify what TRU are charging these days, and that it won't necessarily mean a hike elsewhere.

And if the $2 hike is actual, i suspect it outstrips increases in costs, labour, materials, exchange rates. DXs are the meat and potatoes of the line, and it may well just be Hasbro hiking the price because they believe they can.

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Takara's price is inching closer to being a better value when you consider the addition of microns and stickers(unpopular as they are). If it wasn't for shipping, it would be no question.

19. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering recent monetary policy, this doesn't surprise me in the least.

Yay, for weak dollar policy in stealth inflation to combat obscene debt levels.

20. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    Actually, TRU is pretty good with prices and sales in my area. The Transformers are currently 30% off at the TRU Express down the street. Unfortunately, the only stuff we seem to have are Bumblebee(both FE & PRID), Cliffjumper(PRID), those gross Cyberverse figures (DOTM & TFP), and the DOTM rejects(mostly Bumblebees). Although, we've also got the TFP sets, a neat looking helicopter voyager, and a ginormous Unicron figure. I really love that little store though, I got two FE Primes there for 20 bucks each in late January/early February. (Before I get any PMs; No. One is mine, and I gave the other one to Dran0n.)