Deluxe Animated Earth Mode Optimus Prime Family Mart exclusive review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Batman, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Deluxe Animated Earth mode Prime was originally released in the Animated Battle Begins two pack by Hasbro, and it was one of the first figures released in the Animated line, even before the voyager Earth mode Prime.

A lot of fans praised the actual mold, but had problems with the black battle damage Hasbro decided to apply to the figure. Everyone assumed that it would get a clean version released at some point, and after a couple of years it has finally happened, but not in the way fans had hoped.

Originally Hasbro was to release this mold with the Wingblade armor, but the cancellation of the show meant the cancellation of the toy line as well. Hasbro did manage to squeeze out the last few deluxes they could, but sadly the last few voyager molds never made it to retail.

Takara picked up the Animated line and like many others, I hoped they would release a clean version of this mold. At first many thought it would come with the Japanese battle begins two pack, but that came with the deluxe Cybertron mode Prime. Many thought it would come with the Japanese Wingblade armor but then it was announced that it would in fact come with a crystal version of the voyager mold. The 2010 sons of Cybertron set was announced and while the mold was present in the set, it was molded in clear plastic.

Finally after all of this time we finally see a release of the figure, but there is a catch to actually obtaining one. You have to visit a Family mart store in Japan and purchase tickets to draw for various prizes. A crystal version of ROTF Prime is the top Prize (A), and this Animated deluxe Prime is Prize B. While not as scarce as many originally thought, the going price for this guy is about $90-$100 shipped on the secondary market.

The actual figure itself comes packaged with several twisty ties in a ridiculously large box. I can't read Japanese, but from the look of it there is nothing terribly exciting on it. The contents of the box are the instructions, axe accessory, and the figure.

[​IMG]

Just for the fun of it I took a pic of voyager Prime in the box to show you how big it really is.

[​IMG]

Side Comparisons with Voyager

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vehicle back

[​IMG]

Vehicle front

[​IMG]

Robot mode

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With Rodimus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the power of Grayskull !

[​IMG]

Overall he is a really nice figure. Other than the deco there is no differences between this and the two pack release. All the joints on mine are nice and tight and the paint is applied evenly and cleanly.

While I love the figure, I wouldn't recommend him to the casual Animated fan. I would only recommend him if you really like the mold, Animated and Optimus Prime and are willing to drop a little bit more money than you are accustomed to on a figure this size (I paid less for my Encore Metroplex :lol ). I imagine Takara will give him the shiny paint treatment and I hope everyone who wants this guy can track him down for less than I did.

2. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review and images! I can still do without this figure, but your pics have managed to (1) confirm that I do, indeed, need to get the Family Mart SD figures and (2) make me want to track down a Castle Grayskull. :lol 

3. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Great review, really like this guy!

4. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best purchase I made this year was that 200x Castle Grayskull, I can't recommend it enough :) 

5. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

nice review/comparison, i have the takara voyager prime but this deluxe version is the one i really want....i really hope hasbro will release a non battle damage deluxe...

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I really want a non-battle damaged deluxe Optimus, but that price is just too much for it bottom line.

7. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got mine from Bodhar and I paid $90 shipped EMS from Japan. He also threw in the SD Prime for free. It is a lot more than I would have liked to pay, but I am happy I have this Prime in my collection now.

8. Vince

Vince Decepticon

News Credits:
    Man, what a great looking figure. I really want this, shame it's so difficult to pick up.....oh well, hopefully some will pop up at one of the conventions.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Why Hasbro didn't just release this mold like this in that WM two-pack a few years ago, it looks fantastic and probably has one less paint app or two.

But $90? I already own this mold in the original Battle Damage version, so I'll be content with my original Prime. Still, thanks for the review.

10. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Really would like all the animated Primes, but they really hit at a bad time with all the other toys I "need" out there. Black Prime, Wingblade, SOC Clear, Elite Guard, and now this. It looks fantastic, but man, I really don't have the cash for all these Takara Primes.

Great review and pics. Really a lot better than the US Battle Damage version.

11. Aberration

Aberration Templar Rodimus

News Credits:
    Gah, that's how the figure should've been released in the first place. Hasbro's been so good about so many things lately, I wish they'd learn that painted battle damage just doesn't work...

Batman, your pics are awesome but if you don't mind some gentle criticism, I think you should put the display stands aside when doing straight comparison shots of figures. The Voyager and Deluxe Primes look the same size, that threw me off for a bit :) 

12. Batman

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Yeah I noticed that too after I took all the pictures but I was too lazy to redo them. I will definitely ditch the stands the next time when comparing two figures and I appreciate the advice man :)