Delayed Loathing?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by UnicronFTW, May 20, 2011.

1. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    NomanSkies made a thread like this, but for a different subject.
    While he brought up the point that you sometimes discover or buy something, and you're not that hot for it at first, but later, it's the best damn thing.
    I could only think of the opposite... a figure that I bought, a show that I watched, that I loved at first, then picked it up again, and couldn't stand it.

An example for me is probably Human Alliance Barricade. I bought him, loved him, put him down for a few months, came back, and I can't stand the sight of him. Below the waist at least...

2. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

Most everything that ends up in my sales thread goes through that process. It seemed really cool when I first bought it, but that just died when I picked it up down the road.

3. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well see, I've been pretty lucky when it comes to toys & other figures, but not so much with clothes & shoes, and definitely not when it comes to Yugioh cards. Like, I've got half a closet full of clothes that're borderline unwearable at this point, the same goes for a couple pairs of shoes, and the amount of money that I've wasted on cards (only to have them become worthless a month later) is almost too painful to think about.

Getting into Transformers related stuff however, I guess the 86 movie has to be mentioned here, as it wasn't anywhere near as omgamazing as it was to me when I was a kid. Now, I still thought it was awesome for obvious reasons, but it just didn't carry the same spark as it did when I was 10. If anything, it was the music & memories that held it together.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Had a bit of a delay in loathing the way Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime was characterized in the third season of G1.

Thing is, though... as a kid, my brother had a few episodes from the first season on VHS and a recorded copy of the 1986 movie. Back then, I thought Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime was cool. But then, after I finally got the entire G1 series onto DVD and watched it... I was like, "WTF? What happened to the cool Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime from the movie?"

5. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

You mean how he ran around whining that he's not Optimus? Yeah, that was annoying.

For me I guess it would have to be the movie toys. At the time I got them I thought they were pretty cool but when it came time to raise money for a house I was just underwhelmed and was happy to sell them.

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Yep, pretty much his whining that he's not Optimus. Though, I did liked him in the episode "The Burden Hardest to Bear."

7. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

That was pretty awesome. Gotta love Scourge in that episode as well.

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    CHUG Galvatron. I know, I know, everyone else hated him from the beginning, but i gave it a chance. After a month, I wanted it out of my house, so I sold it.

9. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    I used to love the G1 cartoon and the Unicron trilogy, but after being exposed to Marvel UK G1 and Beast Wars I had a "WTF is this shit" moment.

My dislike of the G1 cartoon has only grown over the years because of how it's managed to be the prominent G1, despite the fact most other G1 continuities are written better and superior in just about every way. All the stupid arguments started by the cartoon's errors don't help, either.

10. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There is a reason I never want to see another episode of Mighty Morphin Power Ranger or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles again. I like viewing them through rose glasses but I KNOW that if I see them again I will bleed from every orifice on my head from pain.

11. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Japanese Beast Wars.

The only reason it was delayed was because I took so long to check them out.

WHAT HAVE I LEARNED?

13. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Watch something tonight because it may be removed via copyright violations tomorrow?

14. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Movie deluxe Jazz. I thought it was a great toy until I got the HA, then I was all "WTF is this shit?"

15. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Barricade was one I was really impressed with at first. It can look pretty good, and the materials feel high-quality. But too much about it got on my nerves from trying to get good poses out of it. That and the fact that they didn't try to crunch in the chest bothers me.

Animated Soundwave is another. At the time I liked the transformation and how good an homage it was. I look at it now, and it doesn't compare so well with later figures like Rodimus. But what really kills it is the headsculpt.

TF1 Stockade. This one hugely impressed me at the time, and I still think it's one of their best figures. But I was comparing it to DOTM Crankcase the other day, and to be honest, I thought the altmode could've been better. Just looks a bit plain with the detail sculpting. I also noticed that there's a big difference between the kind of thing that gets used in the actual movie designs and Hasbro's attempts at replicating that style.

16. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

pretty much all of 80s action cartoons; the toys are still pretty cool but the show themselves are just so inane.

17. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is slightly off-topic, but incredibly true. I got RotF Brawn, Dirge, and Gears meaning for them to be, well, movieverse versions of those characters, and they just don't look right.

Rare exceptions to this are Wreckage (cause he was based on ILM work) and Hailstorm (because...I have no idea, he just works for me).

18. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    The new toys look cool but some really are just awful. I want ones that you say, wow that's a neat bit in the transforming of the toy.

19. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

Bought almost the entire movie 07 line, and loved it. Now I hate it and wish I spent my money for wisely.

20. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    ... and on the other side of things, I actually regret not buying some of the toys that I've wanted since the were available in stores, as many of them are even more expensive & harder to find right now than they were back in the day. To be fair though, it's not like I had much of an interest anymore (or that they were still around) once I started working, but the loathing still applies.