Del Ray Press Release on Transformers: Exodus Origins Novel

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Tim Formas, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    DEL REY ANNOUNCES TRANSFORMERS ORIGINS STORY NOVEL

NEW YORK, NY – April 27, 2010 – Del Rey, an imprint of Ballantine Books at the Random House Publishing Group, announced today that Del Rey Books will publish TRANSFORMERS: EXODUS. Telling one of the most important stories in the TRANSFORMERS canon, this novel explores and expands upon the origins of the supervillain MEGATRON, leader of the evil DECEPTICONS, and the rise of OPTIMUS PRIME to leadership of the heroic AUTOBOTS. TRANSFORMERS: EXODUS will be written by Alex Irvine and will release in Summer 2010.

In an exciting year for the telling of this important origins moment in the TRANSFORMERS story, TRANSFORMERS: EXODUS takes fans deep into the secret lore of the TRANSFORMERS universe, charting the creation of the DECEPTICONS and the AUTOBOTS—and chronicling the civil war that divided them. At the center of this thrilling history are OPTIMUS PRIME and MEGATRON, the ultimate hero and the ultimate villain, whose destinies are entwined with that of their home planet, CYBERTRON. Developed in close partnership with Hasbro, this is a canonical TRANSFORMERS tale that also relates to, and expands on, the story being told in the upcoming video game, TRANSFORMERS: War for Cybertron, from Activision. Fans will not want to miss all of the details, that can only be told in novel form, the moment OPTIMUS gains “PRIME” status, MEGATRON becomes his arch enemy and leader of the DECEPTICONS and their great civil war begins.

About the Author:
    Alex Irvine’s first novel, A Scattering of Jades (Tor 7/02), won the Crawford Award for best new writer, which is given by The International Association for Fantastic in the Arts. He also won awards for best new novel from Locus Magazine and The International Horror Guild, and he was a finalist for the Campbell Award for best new writer. His short fiction has appeared in the Vestal Review, Fantasy & Science Fiction Magazine, Alchemy, and Year's Best Science Fiction, among others. He has been nominated for a Pushcart Award for his short story "Snapdragons." The Narrows, his third novel, was an Amazon.com Best Top 10 selection for Science Fiction and Fantasy.

About Del Rey:
    Del Rey Books (Del Rey Online) was founded in 1977 as an imprint of Ballantine Books, a division of the Random House Publishing Group, under the guidance of the renowned Judy-Lynn del Rey and her husband, Lester del Rey. Del Rey publishes the best of modern fantasy, science fiction, and alternate history. In 2004 it expanded by launching Del Rey Manga, which has grown to be a major force in the U.S. graphic-novel field.

About Hasbro:
    Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS) is a worldwide leader in children’s and family leisure time products and services with a rich portfolio of brands and entertainment properties that provides some of the highest quality and most recognizable play and recreational experiences in the world. As a brand-driven, consumer-focused global company, Hasbro brings to market a range of toys, games and licensed products, from traditional to high-tech and digital, under such powerful brand names as TRANSFORMERS, PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, CRANIUM and WIZARDS OF THE COAST. Come see how we inspire play through our brands at Hasbro Toys, Games, Action Figures and More... <http://www.hasbro.com> <Hasbro Toys, Games, Action Figures and More... <http://www.hasbro.com/> > . © 2010 Hasbro, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So now we have to discard Megatron: Origin AND The War Within? Not sure why Hasbro's decided to retcon everything, I thought we had a fairly solid history for Transformers, seems like everythings getting upset. Unless they want a new backstory for the next 25 years, in which case I can somewhat understand this.

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    This isn't even remotely near that continuity family.

4. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

this book will be cool it sounds like it will be a good back story

5. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This isn't G1. I'm not sure how many times this has been said, but it hasn't been said enough if we still have people thinking this. War Within and the Cartoon verse is a different continuity.

Can we please get a giant splash page that reads "THIS IS NOT G1, PLEASE STOP TRYING TO THINK IT IS" when you click on the WFC discussion forums? I think it would help. :3

6. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I can't wait for this book and game. I like story reboots.

7. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Lovely Cover. Gives the book a Video Gamish feeling :) 

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Actually, it is G1. It's just not "Sunbow G1" "Marvel G1" "Dreamwave G1" or "IDW G1"

9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is for the video game continuity? I'll definitely pass on it, then; I just can't get interested at all in War for Cybertron.

10. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome. I never really cared much for the comics myself (no disrespect for those that enjoyed/wrote them). I like the fact that Hasbro has injected themselves into the process of the story, guiding the writer to produce what they want, a canonical tale.

Comics in general have all sorts of continuity issues all the time with their handful of writers doing their own thing not knowing or minding the stories of the writers that came before them, so I like the idea of Hasbro putting themselves in the center of things, making a definitive story that will (re)define G1. Sweet:D  I gotta pre-order this book!

11. Emperor Zarak

Emperor Zarak Decepticon Emperor

News Credits:
    sweet cover

12. Rorza

Rorza Rocket-cycle Racer

So, WFC is it's OWN continuity? Not a prequel to an existing one? I'm not sure if that makes me more interested in it or less. but I'm still getting it...

13. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm confused, the write up says we see he become Prime, but he doesn't become Prime until the end of the game.

14. n10zguy

n10zguy Da Hawt Gay Geek

YAY! Yet ONE MORE new Transformers origin story. Set in YET ANOTHER universe... This is just starting to feel lazy.

15. blackout501st

blackout501st ultimate enforcing hound

sweet! sounds like a good read. im looking forward to it.

16. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

I'm soooo glad this is coming out. It's good to hear it's not canceled after all.

17. silverbolt00

silverbolt00 Autobot

News Credits:
    I thought that exact same thing also .... Either way this is a definite buy for me, just waiting to see if the Hard back is released over here (UK) As it's on Amazon-uk, but under "Currently Unavailable".
    Thank for the info, will be watching for this.

18. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

I will definitely pick it up!

19. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Will this be the first TF novel I can actually read without losing the will to live?

20. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At this point, we're just plain really not sure. Some things have indicated it's the prequel to the "Prime" cartoon that's coming up later this year, but.. game sure look G1, yo.