1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

de·fin·i·tive   /dɪˈfɪnɪtɪv/ [dih-fin-i-tiv]

–adjective

1. most reliable or complete, as of a text, author, criticism, study, or the like: the definitive biography of Andrew Jackson.
    2. serving to define, fix, or specify definitely: to clarify with a definitive statement.
    3. having its fixed and final form; providing a solution or final answer; satisfying all criteria: the definitive treatment for an infection; a definitive answer to a dilemma.
    4. Biology . fully developed or formed; complete.

Definitive. One word, simple, concise, and so far, it seems to describe Transformers: Prime.

Within TFP, we have elements that harken quite necessarily to the most important iterations of the Transformers brand, bringing them all together in a high quality, slickly produced package that serves fans young and old, new and seasoned, alike.

This series has cherry picked the ideas that have really worked for the Transformers brand, and showcased them in one tour de force. The philosophy, the humor, the sense of childlike wonder, the archetypal storytelling, the sci-fi savvy - all aptly represented in what we have seen so far.

Bringing back the aesthetics to its roots was important - reuniting Peter Cullen and Frank Welker as the voices of the truly pivotal characters was a gesture long overdue and highly effective. These two men had more to do with the original series success than anyone can ever give them due credit for, purely on the strength of their talents.

Also returning are the essential traits of each character. Optimus Prime does not execute fallen enemies; he does not shoot first and ask questions later. He appeals to their sense of compassion and pragmatism, in the interest of the least violent solution possible. When left no alternatives, he unleashes the prowess of the warrior within himself. This is the Optimus Prime we loved as children. Megatron seeks power at any cost, believing that conquest is the path to peace, and that the strongest is by right, the true ruler. And of course, that he is the strongest. Two characters opposed in a struggle that defines the most basic, opposing principles on which society itself is founded. Civility vs. power.

As for our peripherals, we also have elements of Beast Wars, Animated, and Movieverse as deemed necessary by their own merits - who could ask for more? I would say that without a doubt, this series combines the best of the history of this intellectual property that we all know and love. I applaud those involved with the making of this series, a true effort, truly appreciated.

2. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

I couldn't agree with you more. Really, I have nothing to add of any significant value other than that I mirror your sentiments. Though the juxtaposition of a nicely written review with your sig is somewhat humerus.

It also has Jeffrey Frigging Combs.

3. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Not that I want to seem like a killjoy, but as much as I am enjoying TFP and want to agree, I kinda feel like calling it the "definitive" TF series seems somewhat premature.
    I think maybe after at least a season into the show, one could make this judgment. Right now, it's still kind of a young series. It could still do something wrong that would render this kind of praise completely moot.

And I really do enjoy this show. I am really looking forward to future episodes,(And toys, for that matter.) but calling it "definitive" seems like jumping the gun a bit.

4. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

When, and if, that event actually happens, I'll gladly retract my sentiments. But right now, aside from G1, I haven't enjoyed a TF series so thoroughly and so soon as Prime. Until then, for now, this show has me spellbound, and is everything I want in Transformers. The character design, lore and so far everything else, is perfect for me. So, again for now, it's definitive for me.

5. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

I think if you take only the series into consideration you are right. But if you take Exodus and WFC into consideration it fleshes out the continuity to the point where I would consider it definitive.

I will always love my G1 and Beast Wars, but Hasbro really paid attention to the last 27 years when they invented Prime. And while the Show, game, and book already have continuity clashes, they are all SOOOO good...in my opinion anyway.

6. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    The series is good, but I hope it gets better.

I want this to rival Beast Wars and Machines as my favorite Tf toon.
    Something I felt Animated failed in doing so.

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I've got to disagree. Darkness Rising is meh at best and like it or not we've got 3 kids this time around and a really nebulous setup. Most of the advantage of Prime is that it's supposed to be the shared history with WFC/Exodus.

Perhaps with time it may be seen as such, but right now it's little more then a footnote. Hell the toys aren't even out.

Personally Animated is the definitive show. With 2 Almanacs, 3 very strong season and one of the best toy lines ever, it's the only show I could feel comfortable saying was definitive. Even then I know lots of people would disagree.

8. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

Having 3 kids around this time isn't automatically a bad thing. I mean, there are thousands of TV shows with children on it, and it never occurs to us to be a problem. I think it's funny how humans on Transformers are automatically considered to be a bad move. It depends on how it's handled! And so far, in the last two episodes, it's been handled very, very well.

I'd say animated really had more like 2 great seasons. Season 1 was meh in my mind.

9. Rob

Rob IDW FOREVER

News Credits:
    Could not agree with you more, 25 years in the making.

10. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not ready to call TFP the definitive version of Transformers, but there's some points I have to disagree with here.

1. 3 kids.
    - With a few execptions, the 3 kids rule is the norm.

G1 = Spike, Chip, Carly (2 guys, 1 girl)
    Masterforce: Cab, Shuta, Minerva (2 guys, 1 girl)
    Victory = Jean, Illumina (1 guy, 1 girl)
    RiD = Koji, Junko (1 guy, 1 girl)
    Armada = Rad, Carlos, Alexis (2 guys, 1 girl)
    Energon = Kicker, Misha, Sally (1 guy, 2 girls)
    Cybertron = Coby, Bud, Lori (2 guys, 1 girl)
    Animated = Sari

2. Nebulous setup
    - I'm not sure what you mean by a nebulous setup. It's established early on that the Autobots and Decepticons have been on Earth for a while, citing their last major battle before the pilot movie being 3 years ago. The Autobots have a human liaison to the U.S. government. They're operating out of a mountain and have land bridge tech that allows them to warp around the planet. Prime and Megatron have a whole history together. What's so nebulous?

3. Shared history with WFC & Exodus
    - Speaking as someone who has neither read Exodus nor played WFC, I still find the world-building in Prime to be satisfying. Every episode adds a new layer to the developing history of the Prime universe. From what I've read, there are a lot of conflicting points between the continuity of WFC, Exodus and Prime anyway, so I prefer to think of Prime as separate from those other 2. I hardly think Prime is at a disadvantage from jettisoning the baggage from Exodus and WFC. In fact, it's probably better off for it.

Animated is exceptionally cool. :D 

11. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I´d say Anmated was pretty "meh" until they got Megatron back and got rid of the retarded human villains.

12. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Animated's only good season was 2 to be honest. Season 1 had alot of embarassing shit (clearly aimed at REALLY young kids) and Season 3 was a mix of ultra awesome with major freaking downers, the Transwarped mini film was much better than anything the season had to offer and the last episode in special was the weakest freaking thing in history.

Endgame part I was a great and emotional episode that made it look like Part II was going to be THE BEE'S KNEES, we ended up getting:
    Lame as hell Lugnut Supremes (made human villains look strong)
    Terrible deaths for Starscream and Prowl, two of the best characters
    NINJA MAGIC MCGUFFIN savin' the day, freaking NINJA MAGIC
    Shockwave and Lugnut getting defeated in completely senseless weak ways (ONE PUNCH death and falling to show up arrested later outta nowhere?)
    Megatron vs. Optimus fight with really bad coreography and animation
    Bad animation overall during the whole episode (EVACUATE THE CITY is telling 14 dudes to runaway? oh wow)

It was a super weak episode for a season end, for a series' end and it was a shame for me to see a series with so much love screw so up at the final hour.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    This show is awesome.

Except for 2. things. 1. BB and 2. The killing of charecter becoming too constant.

To me, This is the New G1, But i said that about Animated too.

14. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    Animated is overrated. :confused2 

15. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There have been some good arguments posted here, both pro and con.

For TFP to become the most beloved canon in the TF lineage..they still have their work cut out for them..they've made a great start, given us shocking and dramatic action sequences and humorous ones too. I would agree it's a little early to make a decision as to the overall impact of this series. Perhaps we may have to wait a season or two--or even when it ends-- before we designate TFP the "Definitive" series of all time...just mho.

16. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

To clarify my opinion, I say "definitive" in that so far this seasons designs and the direction it seems to be going in has so far nailed everything I could want in a Transformers show. We'll see if it continues to hold up to the standard I'm enjoying right now, but so far I'm thoroughly impressed.

17. Drunk-Wheeljack

Drunk-Wheeljack MrTomo

So far Prime has been off to a good start but we'll have too see more before we can form a good opinion on whether or not it will define the transformers series

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    While I agree with Leadfoot on all his points, and TFP has already become my favorite TF show to date, I don't think I'm ready to call it the definitive TF show just yet. If the show continues down the path that it's currently on (which I imagine it probably will), then I can see it earning that title after season 1 is over (only 24 more episodes to go, lol). We'll just have to wait and see.

Honestly, as much as I liked Animated before seeing TFP, I'm now finding it hard to believe that I ever liked it. It introduced three of the best new TF characters of recent years (Bulkhead, Lockdown, and Lugnut), but that's about all that's worth mentioning anymore, tbh. TFP has already taken Bulkhead and made him infinitely better than he was in Animated. I hope the same happens for Lockdown and Lugnut in the future.

19. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I like TFA and TFP equally. I don't need to be putting down one to praise the other.

20. Joalro

Joalro Well-Known Member

I'm kind of shocked there is all this talk about animated. Animated is good, I like it. But Beast Wars IS the definitive Transformers show to date. In my eyes, the real question Prime needs to answer is: Will it be better than Beast Wars? I think it is a decent contender so far. But it's Beast Wars it needs to beat. Not animated.