Definitive Movieverse Autobot Versions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kurttkrueger, Jul 17, 2011.

1. kurttkrueger

kurttkrueger Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

I recently picked up the Sainsbury's exclusive DOTM Sideswipe (Walmart in the US), which is my first proper Movieverse figure (for me, anyway).

I was totally blown away by this figure, from looks to transformation. Up until now, I've only collected Classics and Animated stuff, as frankly, Bayformers did not appeal to me.

However, now I'm looking into picking up at least one of each of the main Autobots, and possibly Decepticons.

If I were to buy only one of each of the Autobots that have appeared in the movies, which versions of that character would you recommend I buy, trying to keep each figure in scale?

Heres the list I'm thinking of:

Optimus Prime
    Ratchet
    Ironhide
    Jazz
    Bumblebee
    Sideswipe

Which version of the above characters would you say is the epitome for that bot? I don't care about what gimmicks are included, just the merrits of the figure itself.

Your feedback would be appreciated :) 

Cheers,

Dan

2. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you're trying to keep the scale right:

Optimus Prime: Takara Buster Optimus Prime (it's like the ROTF one, but with chrome, a different head, a more complex paint job, and a gun)
    [​IMG]

Ratchet: Voyager (which one depends on which deco you like best: Best Buy Premium from Movie 1 (first picture) is best if you want one accurate to Ratchet from the first and second movies, and the DOTM Target exclusive (second picture) is best if you want one
    accurate to DOTM)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ironhide: Movie 1 Premium
    [​IMG]

Jazz: Movie 1 Premium with the gun from the Final Battle version
    [​IMG]

Bumblebee: HFTD Battle Blade; it's the most accurate, as well as the most fun, with a built-in gun and axe and a fold down battle mask
    [​IMG]

Sideswipe: Either DOTM (first picture) or ROTF Deluxe (second picture) if you want swords, (The DOTM one has very little paint, so only get it if you really like the mold better or don't care about the dull colors) or the Takara version of Sidearm(third picture) if you want guns
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you don't care about scale:

Optimus: Same

Ratchet: I don't have it, but I've heard that the DOTM Deluxe is the best figure of him
    [​IMG]

Ironhide: I don't have it, but the DOTM Leader one looks good, and people have been saying that it's really good
    [​IMG]

Jazz: Human Alliance, definitely
    [​IMG]

Bumblebee: Either HFTD Battle Blade or Human Alliance (shown below) (I don't have the HA one, but it seems popular)
    [​IMG]

Sideswipe: Same

3. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The way I work it is:

Buster Prime.
    HA Bumblebee
    HA Sideswipe
    HA Jazz
    Premium Ratchet (little too small but only viable option)
    Leader Ironhide
    Leader Sentinel

Makes for a pretty kick ass Autobot display. Everything is pretty much in scale in bot mode. Except Ratchet....

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    These are what I use for my definitive versions of these characters:

[​IMG]

Ironhide and Optimus are deluxe and voyager from HFTD, Ratchet is deluxe from ROTF.

That's the Sidearm Sideswipe mold from HFTD, right? Unfortunately not all movie toys are that amazing. That's simply one of the best figures Hasbro's ever done. It's just incredibly well put together.

5. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Actually, if you DO care about scale I'd say Leader Ironhide is the way to go, particularly with his truck mode.

6. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is the way I have main Autobots.

Leader ROFT Prime
    Leader Ironhide
    Human Alliance Bumblebee
    Human Alliace Sideswipe
    Human Alliance Jazz

I have not purchased a Rachet for my movie autobot display. I am waiting for a good leader class Rachet. But the scale is just about proportional in their alt. modes.

7. M3T4L V1KING

M3T4L V1KING I live as few men dream.

Ebay:
    I'd say HFTD or ROTF Leader Optimus Prime. Voyager Ironhide (Any line except DOTM because it's quite short). Voyager Ratchet (I'd say the Target DOTM one because it's a bit shorter than the Ironhide I mentioned). Human Alliance Bumblebee. Human Alliance Jazz. Human Alliance Sideswipe.

If I was only going to get these characters, these are the ones I would prefer. A bit pricey though, but I'd say it's worth it.

Attached Files:

8. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

I'm trying to make a collection myself, but I'm not settled on the scale/accuracy issues. If you go big, you have problems with Leader Ironhide and HA Sideswipe being sub par in the accuracy dept, while Voyager Ratchet and and Optimus are a tad too small for the group.

Then, on the smaller group route, you have all the Voyager Ironhide figures either being a little too big or a little too small; ideally, I'd like it to be sized between the DOTM and the original. But then Voyager Ratchet is too big. Still, so far the middle route is my prefered, since I like the look of BB Bumblebee, Sidearm Sideswipe and DOTM Voyager Ironhide (god I am hoping somebody can give him accurate cannons.) If I can score a decent Leader Optimus and a new Ratchet comes down the line..I am set as far as I care.*

Now you could go slightly smaller - DOTM Deluxe Ratchet and HFTD Deluxe Ironhide go great together with the BB Optimus mold. But even DOTM Deluxe Bumblebee and Sideswipe end up being to big for group.

Ugh scale...

*I'd love to find a AA Sidearm Sideswipe withiout having to pay an arm and a leg for it...but HFTD will do in a pinch.

9. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

For me, my definitive versions are my HA cars (Jazz, Sideswipe, Bee, etc...) with Leader Prime and Leader Ironhide. I love the way they all look together, but with the Wreckers coming, I'm going to have to clear another shelf for my HA line.

Which leaves a definitive Ratchet missing, since the Voyager is too small and there is no HA or Leader version out. That's why I wouldn't mind seeing a Leader version of Ratchet.

10. Prime_Directive

Prime_Directive less than meets the eye

News Credits:
    I would say:

Optimus- RotF Leader (Buster if possible, but he's EXTREMELY pricey now).
    Jazz- Eh. Take your pick. The deluxe isn't a great mold, but the HA isn't anywhere near scale-accurate.
    Ironhide- Either the movie 1 premium, the DotM Voyager or the DotM Leader.
    Ratchet- If you want scale, go with either the Premium movie 1 Voyager or the new Target-exclusive voyager. Otherwise, get the new deluxe. It's pretty.
    Bumblebee- either the HftD Battle Blade figure or the DotM regular Bumblebee. They're both really accurate, but the DotM deluxe unfortunately has no weapons other than his MechTech BFG.
    Sideswipe- I'd say RotF deluxe, unless you're not picky on paint apps, then go with the DotM deluxe. Sidearm is a good mold, too.

Also, I very highly recommend the DotM Jolt mold. Even though the character isn't really a "core" character, it's amazingly accurate and fun. Only thing is, as with Sideswipe, the paint is kinda blah.

If you're gonna go with some Decepticons, you NEED NEED NEED the HftD Leader Starscream. It's amazing. The new Shockwave is pretty nice, too.

But if you just want some nice movieverse figures, go with these as well:
    RotF Breakaway (or the Thrust repaint)
    RotF Mindwipe
    RotF Bludgeon
    RotF Lockdown
    TF07 Scorponok (boring robot mode, but very nice sculpting and detail)
    TF07 Arcee (leagues better than the RotF dreck)
    HftD Seaspray

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

I use:

RotF Buster Prime (leader)
    Movie 1 Premium/Metallic Ratchet (voyager)
    Movie 1 Premium Ironhide (voyager)
    Movie 1 Premium Bumblebee (deluxe)
    Movie 1 Premium Jazz (deluxe)
    RotF Sideswipe (deluxe) - I would hapily accept Takara Autobot Alliance Sidearm Sideswipe instead but the RotF one will do just fine.

and the others:

RotF Mudflap (deluxe)
    RotF Skids (deluxe)
    RotF Jetfire (leader) - would much rather have the Takara version from the 2 pack with Buster Prime but can't find/afford one.
    RotF Wheelie (legends)
    RotF Arcee (deluxe)
    RotF Chromia (deluxe)
    RotF Takara Autobot Alliance elita-1 (deluxe)
    RotF Jolt (deluxe)

12. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    If you're not on a budget:
    Leader Prime
    Premium Ironhide if you want how he looks from TF1-ROTf or DOTM VOY Ironhide for how he looked 10 minutes before rusting away
    DOTM DLX Bumblebee ,but unless you want his his TF1 - ROTF look Battleblades, although it is annoyingly tall
    Any Sideswipe that is all grey/silver
    Either DOTM DLX Ratchet or tattoo Ratchet for his DOTM look or Premium Ratchet for his TF1 look

If your on a budget:
    Still get a Leader Prime or Butterfly Prime
    DOTM VOY Ironhide
    DOTM DLX BB
    DOTM DLX SS
    DOTM DLX or Cybertron Tattoo Ratchet

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  13. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Explosions?

News Credits:
    If you're not concerned about cost, go with:

RotF Leader Prime
    Dotm Leader Ironhide
    Premium Voyager Ratchet
    HA Bumblebee
    HA Jazz
    HA Sideswipe

If you are concerned about cost, another option is:

HftD Battle Blades Prime
    HftD Deluxe Ironhide
    DotM Deluxe Ratchet

This is what I'm using right now. It's a pretty limited set-up because there are no good options for Bumblebee or Sideswipe. Still, the three of them look great together and are perfectly in scale.

By the way, I highly recommend Leader Starscream. He's one of the best movie figures.

14. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime-Buster or HFTD BBOP
    Ratchet-DotM Deluxe, even though there is a scale issue
    Ironhide-Premium movie 1
    Jazz-HA
    Bumblebee-BBBB or HA. Both a excellent!
    Sideswipe-Takara Sidearm all the way

15. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I can't say too much about Ratchet, Ironhide, Bumblebee, or Jazz, because I don't really like their designs and haven't put much thought or investment into owning them. Actually, I -do- like Ironhide's design, but I don't feel his toys have lived up to it. The deluxe one probably had the best proportions (imo), but is too small to properly represent the character. The leader might be the next best bet, but if you get him, you have to make everything else HA to fit in with the scale. Unless of course you dont care about scale.

Prime is in a similar boat. If you care about scale, and you buy Leader Prime, then you have to get Leader Ironhide and the HA bots to go with him. Anything else is just way too small. In this case, that's not a bad thing, because Leader Prime -is- the best version of the character. And in fact, HA BB and Jazz are probably their best versions, too. However, HA Sideswipe is rather crappy.

If you buy the deluxe versions of BB, Sideswipe, and Jazz, then you wouldn't want the Leader Prime, you'd want the Battle Blades Prime. Battle Blades actually looks very similar, transforms similarly, and has most of the same gimmicks as the Leader, so that's not a bad idea, either.

Sideswipe is a bit harder to decide. I think that, in terms of transformation and gimmickry, the DOTM one is the best. He's sleeker and slightly better articulated than the original Sideswipe. I think his blades look better, being slimmer than the original, and the fact that he comes with a really cool rifle is icing on the cake. But, his colors are nowhere neeear as pretty as every other version of Sideswipe. Strike Mission, Hunter's Rumble, Sidearm, and the Wal-mart exclusive are all very visually pleasing, while DOTM is a bit lackluster. But, I think he's a much funner toy. In fact, I really don't like the original Sideswipe, regardless of how pretty every version of him is. I also don't have the Sidearm version to judge, but he's lacking the blades so he's automatically less accurate.

16. MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness Autobot Engineer

After consulting a few scale charts, here's what I've determined.

My math is based on two things: Optimus is the largest Autobot, and his ROTF Leader figure is the most screen accurate.

The chart lists the heights for the following Transformers:

Optimus Prime: 28ft.
    Ironhide: 22ft.
    Ratchet: 20ft.
    Bumblebee: 16ft.
    Sideswipe: 15ft.
    Jazz: 14ft.

So, that would establish a 1:336 ratio from toy to robot.

Based on that, Optimus would be 10", Ironhide would be 7-13/16", Ratchet would be 7-1/4", Bumblebee would be 5-7/16", Sideswipe would be 5-5/16", and Jazz would be 5".

Based on measurements of the toys, none of them are "scale-accurate". Human Alliance, in particular, is WAY out of scale.

Ironhide's TFTM and ROTF Voyager toys are close. His DOTM Voyager is too short. His DOTM Leader is WAY off.
    Ratchet's TFTM, ROTF, and DOTM Voyager toys are close, but still off.
    Bumblebee's HFTD is too tall, and DOTM is too short.
    Sideswipe's HFTD figure is dead on. His DOTM figure is too short.
    Jazz's TFTM figure is too tall.

So, if you want to go by scale: Leader Prime, TFTM/ROTF Ironhide, TFTM/ROTF/DOTM Ratchet, HFTD Bumblebee, HFTD Sideswipe, and TFTM Jazz.

In terms of sculpts, that's a totally different story.

Leader Prime is the gold standard.
    Ironhide's Leader figure is awesome.
    Ratchet's DOTM figure is also awesome.
    HFTD Bumblebee can, with a few mods, be the most screen accurate next to Optimus.
    All of Sideswipe's figures are top notch. Unless you really want to paint him, stick with ROTF or HFTD.
    Jazz only has one mold that isn't particularly screen accurate.

Long story short, don't worry about scale, because it varies from really accurate to not even close.

17. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Here is my line up:-

DOTM Jetwing Prime
    DOTM Voyager Ironhide
    DOTM Voyager Ratchet
    DOTM Deluxe BB
    DOTM Deluxe Sideswipe
    TFTM07 Premium Jazz.

I am in the office at the moment, but this is how Prime and Ironhide scales like in my setup.
    [​IMG]
    Might not be the most accurate, but I like the aesthetics...

18. kurttkrueger

kurttkrueger Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses guys, looks like RotF Leader Optimus Prime is a must have. After watching Peaugh's review, I'm inclined to agree!

19. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    well i dunno about some people but i go by the scale charts used in the movies production to determine my "definitive versions"
    i like scale and since the Autobots are the only ones who can reasonably pull it off, thats the way I've gone!

screen accuracy in the movie itself is wishy-washy. sometimes they scale bots up or scale 'em down for dramatic effect but these are the guidelines here

[​IMG]

so ROTF Leader Prime is *obviously* the "prime" choice for Optimus and as such I use him as my anchor in judging the sizes of all my other autobots

Ironhide should come up to Optimus' mid-chest, Ratchet is *supposed* to be slightly smaller than Ironhide but still bigger than Bumblebee. And Bumblebee comes to about Optimus' crotch [and those are the basis for my divvying them out as far as leader>voyager>deluxe class offerings go. Large, medium, and small]

so with all of that, this here is MY line up

[​IMG]

-ROTF Leader Optimus
    -DOTM Leader Sentinel Prime [not exactly sure if he's taller or shorter than Optimus but leader class is the obvious choice as he's the closest you'll get!]
    -ROTF Recon Ironhide [ive modded mine slightly to be more "black" and awesome but virtually any version of this mold will do]
    -07 Voyager Ratchet [even though he's actually slightly bigger than Ironhide, i still say voyager ratchet is the way to go. the deluxe versions are just TOO small for my liking. of course, if you wanna be up to speed with his current look, the new DOTM repaint will do :D ]
    -Deluxe Bumblebee [now that DOTM is out i'm going through and updating my characters where I see fit, so i'm using DOTM Bumblebee. Despite the flack people give him about being shorter than the other versions of bumblebee, his size is probably the most accurate. ]
    -07 Deluxe Jazz [if only he was just a TINY bit shorter lol]
    -ROTF Deluxe Sideswipe [works well! by far my favorite version of the mold. i'm not a fan of the guns nor the DOTM dull grey so]
    -ROTF Deluxe Skids & Mudflap [they work well, they're supposed to be a little shorter than bumblebee so thankfully these guys' bot modes were on the short side! i wont be "updating" these guys, tho, cuz the DOTM toys just look like...crap. lol]
    -DOTM Wreckers [deluxe sized. they're not big enough for me to bump them up to anything bigger. they're just cars afterall, too]

as far as Leader Ironhide goes, the people who think he's more in scale with Optimus are just crazy and jaded about how "awesome" ironhide is. people make him too big in their minds cuz they like him and his relationship to Optimus

the vehicle mode is NOT as big as Optimus' and he only goes to Optimus' mid-chest in bot mode [both illustrated in the scale chart. i copied ironhides alt mode and put it underneath Prime's for easy comparison]

not that he isnt a great toy tho :p 

and i dont like mixing in Human Alliance. they're just too darn big

i'm impressed the core cast of Autobots are all represented so closely in scale with eachother as they are! bravo hasbro!

if you're going with scale, id say these are probably around your best choices

if you're looking for the BEST of the best of those characters no matter the size class, im sure some of the other posts in here can help ya out there :p 

20. Sideswipe91

Sideswipe91 Autobot warrior

Ebay:
    Leader DOTM striker optimus (when its out, any ROTF leader version is awesome)

Leader Ironhide (voyagers are just too small)

07 voyager metallic Ratchet (best so far, heres hoping for a new mold though)

HFTD battle blades Bumblebee (bit tall, but the best so far)

Takara Sidearm Sideswipe (or repaint the hasbro, blades are easily made for him)

07 premium Jazz (best jazz, just a little tall though)

ROTF deluxe skids & mudflap (perfect twins)

Cant wait for deluxe mirage & wheeljack, legends wheelie and brains