Definitive G1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KAGE, Nov 1, 2009.

1. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    I'm trying to put together a "definitive" G1 timeline based on the cartoon series and was looking for "companion" material that expands on the universe.

I tried the Transformers: The Ultimate Guide but that seems to combine Marvel, DW and the cartoon into one which was a headache!

So now I'm reading about the More Than Meets The Eye Guides on the TFwiki and that seems like the best choice.

I'm looking for suggestions as to whats best and does the lest clashing/contradicting.

2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Prime Targets" is a book from circa 2001 which has story guides with background information for every episode (and every comic story, but don't worry, treated as two separate continuities). If it's your thang, it also covers Beast Wars/Machines.

A really good book!

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Technically, the series is continued in the Japanese series, but that might not be what you're looking for.

4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Dreamwave comics are their own continuity, so the More Than Meets The Eye books aren't really what you need either. The only English-language things that are explicitly in the same continuity as the cartoon are probably a mini-comic that came with the Australian DVD of the movie and a few stories in the "Legends" prose anthology.

There is, however, a LOT of material published in Japan which is in-continuity with the cartoon. For the mind-meltingly expanded version of the timeline that incorporates all these cartoons, mangas and other storylines, have a look here:

Japanese Generation 1 cartoon timeline

5. KAGE

News Credits:
    Out side of Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory I'm trying to stay away from the JP continuity. But I'll take a look at "Prime Targets".

But the More Than Meets The Eye guides has everything I'm looking for which is why I was considering them. They are published by DW but its not really in continuity or if it is its still true enough to the original series.

But thanks for the info just looking to see whats out there, I got a feeling its not much LOL!

6. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    "Prime Targets" is just an episode guidebook. And DW's "More Than Meets the Eye" really isn't true to the cartoon universe. It's a guide to the Dreamwave continuity, which has the Transformers never making contact with Cybertorn after awakening on Earth, Shockwave uniting the Autobots and Decepticons on the planet into one unified race, Scourge being created by Unicron millions of years ago, the Dinobots and combiners existing on Cybertron and Buster Witwicky *existing*, just off the top of my head. It sort of tries to take its basic CUE from the cartoon, in that it takes place in the undocumented Season 2/movie "intermezzo" of the cartoon and has Unicron moving towards Cybertron and the Autobots building Autobot City a few years before 2005, but the specifics don't even begin to line up.

7. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    There's a ton of differences in the characterization and the histories of the characters between DW and G1 continuity, as well. The very basics might be the same, but I don't think its sufficient for what you're trying to do.

8. KAGE

News Credits:
    Oh wow so I'm F'ed then -_-'

It's kind'a hard to explain what it is that I'm trying to do. My best example would be from the Beast Wars point of view.

Like there's the 3 seasons of Beast Wars

Then you have IDW's Beast Wars The Gathering & The Ascending to expand on the series and adds in the Beast Wars Neo and Second into the continuity "kind of". And then you have the Sourcebook which goes even further and ties everything together such as additional characters and technology.

So if some random was to come up to me and and say "Hey dog!? whats up with Beast Wars?" I can tell my story. But with G1 theres like 20 different versions I'm just trying to make since out of the randomness of the 80's cartoon something everyone recognizes, I guess to have something to compare to IDWs G1 comic series which seems to try to be the next "Definitive G1" much like DW was doing.

But the Wiki is very misleading on the "More Than Meets the Eye Guide" it comes off like its part of the over all G1 continuity although it part of DWs. DW series only went for like 12 or 20 issues then you have a book of like 100 + characters that never appeared. I'm just trying to understand the logic behind that LOL!

9. Chris McFeely

News Credits:
    It's just that a lot of the characters didn't get the chance to appear in the DW universe before it imploded. The individual character profiles stand alone fairly well, not relying overly on anything from the Dreamwave comics except in a few instances. It's the eighth and final issue, which is an encyclopedia of terms, places and concepts, that is really where the DW continuity steps in.

It's the funny thing about Beast Wars - with that franchise, the cartoon's sort of sacrosanct. BW has never been "reimagined" - where its the 3H BotCon Universe/Wreckers comics, or the IDW mini-series and sourcebook, or the Legends prose stories, or the Fun Publications "Dawn of Futures Past" fiction, new BW material always BUILDS on, in and around the cartoon, never rebooting the BW universe wholesale. So, that, in essence, is why you're able to say that about Beast Wars, whereas G1 is always being reinvented.

Except in Japan, where all they ever had was the cartoon, and so nearly every new piece of G1 media (up to but not including Henkei) is in-continuity with the cartoon.

10. Aernaroth

News Credits:

You're right, you're in a tight spot. There's the cartoon continuity, at least 3 separate comic continuities, and on top of that, there's a whole bunch of books and toy background info that doesn't necessarily fit in anywhere.

Your best bet? Go with the cartoon, because that's what most non-fans remember, and just say "But they did the story a bunch of different ways in the comics"

11. KAGE

News Credits:
    ok, i guess thats the end of it then, thanks again everyone :]

12. KAGE

News Credits:
    Well I finally got it done. this timeline is based on the U.S. cartoon series adding in the last 3 Japanese series along with Scramble City & TransFormers Zone. and lastly going into the Beast Wars stopping at Beast Wars: The Gathering. I still need to add in Beast Wars: The Ascending and some facts on the mulitverse but thats about it. I'm also trying to adding the last part of G1, Battlestars without it getting TOO silly so let me know what you think.

13. KAGE

News Credits:
    Generation 1 - timeline

- Millions of years ago
    "Near the beginning of the universe," an entity known as Primacron comes into existence and begins to create. Among the beings to which he gives life are the first mechanoids known as "Primitives," one of which he takes as his assistant in his continuing experiments. His creations steadily grow bigger and more complex until eventually, he creates the planet-sized transforming robot called Unicron. Primacron intends for Unicron to consume all life in the universe, leaving it a blank slate for him to do with as he wishes, but Unicron rebels. Seriously injuring Primacron, Unicron sets out into the universe on his own, and Primacron's assistant escapes to a world near the centre of the galaxy.

- 12 million years ago
    Before Cybertron was, Vector Sigma was.

- 12 million years ago
    The alien Quintessons establish themselves on the metallic planet of Cybertron. The planet's precise origins are never divulged, but it is known to have rocky sub-levels, indicating an organic beginning. However, whether or not the Quintessons colonised an existing metal world or terraformed an organic one is never revealed.

Seeking to create a race of slaves to serve them, the Quintessons use their technology to create bio-mechanical beasts known as Trans-Organics. The designs are a failure, and it is decided to mass-produce robots for slaves instead. Forging their bodies in the fires of the Plasma Energy Chamber The Rebirth, Part 1 and imbuing them with intelligence using the mega-computer Vector Sigma, the Quintessons create two classes of robot: consumer goods and military hardware. With these robot creations performing all their labour for them, Quintesson culture grows progressively more decadent. Violent gladiatorial matches are even staged amongst the robots, with the losers smelted and their raw materials used to create new robots.

At some point during this period, the consumer goods robots come into possession of the mysterious Matrix of Leadership. The origins of this talisman are unknown (there is some suggestion it may be connected to Primacron's assistant), but it was passed from robot to robot through the years. Known holders during this time include the "Ancient Robot", the "Powerful Robot" and the "Brooding Robot".

Eventually, the consumer goods robots develop true sentience and rise up in rebellion against their Quintesson creators. This is the beginning of the First Cybertron War.

- 11 million years ago
    A rebel cell of consumer goods robots led by A3, including Beta, turn the Quintesson slave brand into a symbol of freedom when they assault the Quintessons' Hive City. Although they meet resistance in the form of the Quintessons' gigantic Dark Guardian robots, A3 activates the Coda Remote device he has placed within his slave brand, deactivating the Dark Guardians and allowing the robots to take the city. From this victory, the Quintesson line of dominoes begin to fall, until the aliens are eventually defeated, and forced to flee the planet.

Peace settles on Cybertron for a time, with the robots building their own society, during which time, the Matrix is held by the "Pre-Transformer".

- 9 million years ago
    The violent military hardware robots, now known as the Decepticons, seek conquest and begin the Second Cybertronian War when they turn their aggression against the consumer goods, now called the Autobots, at the time led by the "New Narrator". A series of conflicts ensue, with both sides claiming victory at different points in time. Ultimately, never having been designed for combat, the Autobots realise the futility of attempting to match the Decepticons' strength and firepower, and, under the leadership of the "U-Haul Robot", they instead turn to stealth, reconstructing their bodies so that they can transform into vehicles and machinery. With this new skill, the Autobots are ultimately able to win the war, and they rule the planet for many centuries. With the peace policed by the Guardian Robots, reprogrammed version of the Quintesson's Dark Guardians, energy becomes plentiful and the planet shines with a healthy golden glow, denoting this period as the Golden Age of Cybertron.

- 9 million years ago
    Eventually, however, the Decepticons also develop transformation, and they couple the technology with robot-mode flight powers to renew their aims for conquest. Thus it is that Megatron is born.

Assembling a small group of like-minded individuals, including Shockwave and Soundwave, nd increasing his ranks by using his Robo-Smasher to reprogram Autobots, Megatron stages an attack on one of Iacon's outer cities and kills the "U-Haul Robot", who entrusts the Matrix to the aged A3, now known as Alpha Trion.

For whatever reason, Megatron's actions are not made full public knowledge, and the Decepticons' impressive flight powers make them objects of hero worship for the young Autobot dock worker, Orion Pax. However, Orion learns the folly of his ways when he is attacked by Megatron as part of an evil plan by the Decepticon to steal the energy in Orion's warehouses. Both Orion and his girlfriend Arial are fatally wounded by Megatron, but are rescued by the time-displaced Aerialbots and brought to Alpha Trion. The pair are the first subjects for Alpha Trion's new method of reconstructing Autobots into truly battle-hardy configuration, becoming Optimus Prime and Elita One. Given the Matrix by Alpha Trion, Optimus became Autobot leader for the newly-begun Third Cybertronian War.

Around this time, "shortly before" the war truly reignites, the scientists Starscream and Skyfire depart Cybertron to explore the prehistoric planet Earth. Skyfire is swept up in a polar windstorm and separated from Starscream. After failing to locate his friend, Starscream returns to Cybertron, eventually abandoning his scientific pursuits, enrolling in the Cybertron War Academy and joining Megatron's Decepticons.

- 4 million years ago
    After five million years of war, Cybertron's energy is drastically drained, necessitating an Autobot expedition to alien planets in search of new source of power. Optimus Prime and his best and brightest board a mighty spacecraft, but their plan is discovered by Megatron. A Decepticon assault on the Ark's launch bay leaves Prime and his crew believing Elita One and her team have been destroyed. The Autobots proceed to blast off, but they are followed and ambushed by the Decepticons aboard their own space cruiser. The ships are caught in the gravity of the nearby planet Earth and crash so violently that all the Transformers entered a long period of stasis lock due to the impact.

A trio of Decepticons bail out of the Decepticon space cruiser in an escape pod before it crashes, and they spend the next four million years quietly active in the Demon Swamp, adopting insectoid alternate forms that will eventually lead to their being dubbed "Insecticons".

- 543 A.D.
    Four Decepticons, two Autobots, and one human travel back in time from 1985 via the mystical Dragon Mound. They become involved in a dispute between two knights and then return to their own time.

A volcanic eruption reactivates Teletraan I, the internal computer of the Ark. The Autobots and the Decepticons awaken, and, now outfitted with new alternate modes that enable them to hide amongst the vehicles and machinery of Earth, restart the Great War. The Autobots befriend Spike Witwicky and his father, Sparkplug, but despite the humans' aid, they are unable to stop the Decepticons from building a new space cruiser and stealing the energy needed to power it. A final act of sabotage by Autobot Mirage brings the Decepticons' cruiser crashing back to Earth, where it lands in the ocean.

Although the Autobots intended to return to Cybertron, the revelation that the Decepticons have survived the crash forces them to stay and defend the planet. The Decepticons develop an intergalactic space bridge transportation system to send energy back to Cybertron, while the Autobots expand their ranks with the addition of the powerful Dinobots. The Decepticons unearth the frozen form of Skyfire, but he turns against his old friend Starscream and sides with the Autobots, helping to foil the Decepticons' plans to harness the power of the Earth's core.

The Decepticons ally themselves with the human scientist Doctor Arkeville, using his mind-controlling hypno-chips to amass an army of human slaves. Simultaneously, the villains construct a huge space bridge to transport Cybertron itself into Earth's orbit, causing massive worldwide chaos, and put the human slaves to work gathering energy. At the eleventh hour, the Autobots are able to break the Decepticons' mind control and blast Cybertron out of Earth's orbit.

The Insecticons resurface and form an uneasy alliance with Megatron's Decepticons.

- Late 1980s
    The Scramble City plan is activated through cooperation between Autobots and humans. The giant city robot Metroplex is completed. The Decepticons build Trypticon.

Approximate birth date of Daniel Witwicky.

The Decepticons successfully conquer Cybertron, forcing the Autobots to evacuate the planet for Earth.

The Battle of Autobot City. Optimus Prime is killed, and Ultra Magnus becomes the new Autobot Commander. Megatron is reformatted into Galvatron by Unicron, and he attempts to enslave Unicron with the Matrix. Unicron attacks Cybertron. Hot Rod opens the Matrix and destroys Unicron, allowing the Autobots to reclaim Cybertron. Hot Rod becomes Rodimus Prime, the new Autobot leader. The disappearance of Galvatron and the absence of other strong leaders such as Starscream and Shockwave causes the Decepticon Empire to disintegrate.

The Quintessons enter the Great War as a wild card opposed to both factions. Cyclonus recovers Galvatron, who becomes Decepticon leader again. Trypticon and the Predacons appear.

Optimus Prime is restored to life in an attempt to end the Hate Plague. The Matrix of Leadership is emptied.

The Headmasters, who have come from planet Master, join both armies.

The release of the Matrix's energy causes Vector Sigma to destabilize. Optimus Prime sacrifices his life to stop it.

Partially recharged by the energy of Earth, the Matrix is fully restored by the ghost of Alpha Trion, and Hot Rod becomes Rodimus Prime again.

The war worsens. Cybertron is destroyed. Rodimus Prime leaves to seek out a new homeworld, and Cerebros becomes the new Autobot commander. The planet Mars is destroyed in an explosion.

Ultra Magnus dies in battle. Galvatron disappears into a glacier.

Fortress Maximus stops Emperor of Terror Scorponok's plan to blow up the Earth and drives the Decepticons from the Earth. Afterwards, the Autobots leave Earth to rebuild space.

- Several years after 2011
    Devil Z, who had been asleep at the bottom of Earth's ocean, awakens and attempts to destroy all of humanity.

The Autobots in space cannot send assistance to Earth due to the worsening battle. Instead, they send the Masterforce System, allowing humans to fuse with Transtectors. However, the humans who have sided with Devil Z use this for evil.

The human Ginrai, who has fused with the body intended for Optimus Prime, eliminates Devil Z.

Under the leadership of Star Saber, the Autobots create the Galactic Peace Alliance and establish the Galactic Defense Force to fight the Decepticons. They use Planet V as their base.

The Decepticon Emperor of Destruction Deathsaurus reactivates his giant fortress and attacks Earth. Victory Saber stops him and destroys the fortress.

- After 2025
    Deathsaurus is reborn as the Dark Emperor. He leads all Decepticons in pursuit of the new energy form Energon Z.

In response, the Autobots follow Dai Atlas's Plan Z to terraform the planet Micro into Planet Z.

The new Emperor of Destruction, Violen Jiger, appears. His true identity is a fusion of the ghosts of Decepticons who died in battle. Taking control of the Decepticons, Violen Jiger schemed to harness the power of the Zodiac and merge it with the new super-fuel, Energon Z, which the Autobots had developed, in order to dominate the universe. Recruiting a team of Nine Great Demon Generals from throughout Decepticon history, Violen Jiger dispatched his new troops to steal the Energon Z from planet Zone, and to locate the Zodiac hidden on Earth.

Dai Atlas and Sonic Bomber were able to prevent the Zodiac from falling into Decepticon hands. After returning to Zone with the Zodiac, Victory Saber inaugurated Dai Atlas as the new Autobot Supreme Commander.

The Battlestars were organized by Autobot Supreme Commander Dai Atlas to counter the rise of new Decepticon threats. Dai Atlas inaugurated Sky Garry as temporary Supreme Commander.

Planet Cybertron is revived.

- Approximately 300 years later, the Beast era...

***The Universal Stream***
    The Transformers multiverse consists of at least 15,962,782 cataloged universal streams (1,176,325 of which have "come to termination"), according to the TransTech Cybertronians' exhaustive records. There are at least 59,927,225 realities that the TransTech Cybertronians have yet to catalog.

- TransTechs
    The Transcendent Technomorphs, shortened to TransTechs. Hailing from a Cybertron that has never known the scourge of war, this ancient sub-race of Transformers has watched over the multiverse for untold eons, welcoming travelers from other dimensions through their emissary city of Axiom Nexus. They have developed their bodies, technology, and civilization to a highly evolved state, far beyond that of the war-wracked Transformers who typically pass through Axiom Nexus's gates.

- Unicron Singularity
    Within the Aurex cluster (the Unicron Trilogy) of the Universal Stream, Vector Prime revealed that the singularity was created when Primus's plan to trap Unicron in an Energon Sun, giving off life rather than consuming it, spectacularly backfired. The sun instead collapsed into a black hole which consumed the infant universe it had once nurtured, and then expanded into space near Cybertron.

The black hole's pull was so strong that even Unicron's presence in alternate realities were drawn into it, throwing the entire universal balance out of whack. As the Unicron Singularity replicated itself across these worlds, its space-time distortions drew them together, histories overlapping in a somewhat messy faction. The continued expansion of the Unicron Singularity threatened to consume the entire Universe and, owing to its self-replicating nature, eventually the entire multiverse.

- The true origin of Unicron
    Before the dawn of time, there once was a universe full of god-like beings, until Unicron ate them all and the universe they inhabited. But remnants coalesced, forming a new universe, and this new universe created Primus to protect it.

14. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    So you went with the Japanese headmasters instead of rebirth? Ok, that's probably a good choice.

What you've got here looks pretty good. Its one of a few possible continuity combinations, but, frankly, I don't think you could have made any better choices. Great job!

15. KAGE

News Credits:

I made some revisions, I'm going to leave out the Beast era to make it's own timeline. But I added in the Battlestars without going into the madness of Japanese G1. I also added in TransTechs and their involvement with the multiverse which leads you to Unicron Singularity to flush out his "true origin" with Primus, they seem to get a lot of attention in the Beast era. Sort of a note that they may not have been created within the original G1 universe but have always existed.

I think it's important to have a straight forward timeline because a lot of crazy goes on in G1 thats not even necessary to the over all story.

So you have your direct timeline that hits on all major events.

The multiverse to expand

And Unicron Singularity to fix the bumps in the cartoon and to introduce the true Unicron and Primus into the Beast era.