Defining the Classics Aesthetic

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Quixote_Prime, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    I'm curious -- many folk look at borderline figures like ROTF/NEST Bludegon or Hftd Sea Spray or RtS Lugnut and say: nope, not classics.

Let's put one's sense to words! What makes a classics fig a classics fig?

Of course, it's perfectly legit to say what is by what it's not -- so, for instance, "no chicken legs!" or "bug faces on non-bug modes!" since it usually seems that the competing aesthetics are movieverse/bayformers vs. classicsverse.

I'm thinking of this in general -- of course you can bring up examples.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, this is part of why I don't like to be fussy.

For example, Seaspray & Bludgeon seem to embody more of a throwback design than the new Mixmaster or Bumblebee, so that's usually what matters to me. In other words, I could care less what's printed on the box because to me anyway, they're all forms of art that should be appreciated by the people who collect & observe them.

3. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't go by what the package calls them, but I have found that, for the most part, Movie figures just don't work very well with Classics figures in my collection. Earlier, I just had one big collection, but in the last year, I've decided to have neo-G1 collection and a Movie collection. The only Movie figures in my Classics collection right now are ROTF Lockdown, ROTF Bludgeon, and DOTM Skyhammer (as Whirl).

4. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seaspray was made as a Classics but they wanted a bigger size so they put him in HFTD so he could be that size. So he basically is Classics.

Bludgeon had a maybe for being put in the Universe or ROTF but for some reason they went with the later. Maybe to sell him more. So he also basically can be in Classics unless they ever make a new one which they probably wont.

5. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

for me

- any distinguishing features on the bot which the G1 character did not have previously: like previous mentioned or chicken legs. or 3rd party not-insections' ninja look the symbols are ok but the ninja designs... sketchy. we all know that that design is protect that particular company.
    - any character that does not belong to the cartoon continuity no matter how nice it looks. ie RTS lugnut its there cause i don't know where else to put it. lol
    - any customs made by someone, including myself of course or any 3rd party products. if it ain't official its not suppose to be there. these are just only stand-ins. they are there temporarily. nothing more nothing less.

the above defines what not goes with classics. i think its easier to define it this way.

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the Classics style tends to be boxier and smoother, while the movie style goes for more open exposed areas so you can see the mechanical guts of the robots.

That's why I don't think I'll be getting the Cyberverse Powerglide for my collection. He'd fit fine except that he has a fair bit of mechanical detailing.

7. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

I think this is it - generally, the classics designs are simpler. The movie designs are done to mimick the complex designs in the film (which are, to a point, just ILM showing off with "look how complex we can make them!"); the classics designs, on the other hand, wouldn't look out of place in a comic book or a traditional cel-animated cartoon. Although I've read and enjoyed the movieverse comics, the designs don't seem to fit the medium as well as the simpler designs of G1 or classics.

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Somewhere in between movie and Unicron trilogy.

9. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    The classics tend to be simpler and have recognisable silhouettes, which to my mind makes them more iconic. They also have universally "human" proportions (cassettes notwithstanding), whereas the movie figures are more varied and "alien".

Tends to be that those figures that could cross the line are the simpler, boxier toys like Seaspray.

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Figures that have sort of that Gundam look of a humanoid shape and being armored up for battle generally fit the bill for me as having a Classics look. Yes there are exceptions like Ravage, if the robot was meant to have a human shape then they don't have really strange proportions like gorilla arms and stubby legs.

If a figure has weird proportions, parts just to have extra parts, bug faces, or makes me think of robotics skeletons or zombies then I generally lump that figure as a movie figure.

I'm thinking some of my figures that seem to be a cross between movie features and Classics figures will get moved over to a Transformers Prime collection once those figures start coming out. Figures like Seaspray, Bludgeon or Lockdown just kind of feel like they would fit into Transformers Prime better than either the Classics or movie lines. Plus if I pick up Lugnut then it's Lugnut vs Bulkhead all over again.

11. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    For me,

- if they have a robot looking face, as oppose the alien movie faces
    - the arms and legs are fairly boxy looking, as oppose to the movie style skinny arms and legs on some figures
    - the color resemblance to a G1 figure,
    - fairly simple transformation, nothing too complex
    - size fits the character

That's it for now i guess

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There's a lot of variation in the official "classics" lines, from the '06 line, which were essentially G1-based Cybertron toys style-wise, to some of the more movie-influenced detail and transformations of Universe or Generations. The only 'universal criteria' I'd have for a "troo classix" toy would be humanoid robot layout and proportion (assuming the original character being homaged has them to start)

I'm not sure about Seaspray personally, though I do count Bludgeon among 'classics'. He has a lot of Movie-esque detailing, but as that particular character is best known as a samurai skeleton monster anyway, it works for me.

13. Nope

Nope Conehead

News Credits:
    To me, it's just a toy and it doesn't matter where anyone puts it in a collection or shelf.

Regardless, I consider a "Classics" figure to be anything that isn't part of a show or movie and is made as a homage to an older character/toy.

14. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    Is it that Sea Spray, Bludgeon, and Dotm Powerglide (and others?) come so close to both aesthetics that they are so "controversial"?

15. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

took me awhile to accept HFTD sea spray, almost missed out on him. ROTF bludgeon was a no brainer, he belongs in my classics shelf. DOTM powerglide was an iffy as well, i bought it' with the goal of kitbashing it.

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    more armored, humanoid. no backwards knees, actual faces, normal hands on most

17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most of the stuff that has more complicated and mechanical looking limbs are less classics-like. (Like stated earlier, almost all classics figures just have boxy looking limbs) Also, normal looking faces is also a sign of classics aesthetic, especially if it's not something like Shockwave.

18. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    To me, blocky bot modes are what make it classics. The only exceptions being bots who were not blocky in G1 ( like Bludgeon ). If it's all spindly robot with the alt mode shattered all over it's body, that's not classics aesthetic. If the alt mode is in big chunks either on the body or actually making up the body, then it's classics.

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    They look basically like G1, only modern. That's a classic figure.

20. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think they're controversial because they differ from the movie design, but instead of taking on a pure classics design they go for some weird hybrid design.

To me a classic would be a toy that has an alt mode that closely resembles their g1 alt modes as portrayed in the cartoon/comic, most important part is an accurate headsculpt and color scheme. Scale also factors into it.

Following those criterias, seaspray is not a classic in my eyes:

[​IMG]

the toy gets it wrong in that:

1. The headsculpt is nothing like g1 seaspray
    2. The head is blue, in the cartoon it was yellow
    3. The feet are white, in the cartoon they were blue
    4. The legs are blue, in the cartoon they were yellow
    5. The arms are white and yellow, in the cartoon they were blue
    6. The size difference is too great to be ignored

those are too many strikes for me to view it as Seaspray...how to explain it...

It's kind of like this picture:

[​IMG]

It's an homage to Michael Jackson, but it sure isn't Michael Jackson.

I view the toy the same way - it's an homage to Seaspray, but it sure isn't Seaspray