define the fine line: hoarding vs collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kajobaldisimo, Sep 23, 2010.

1. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    please direct me if there is already a thread about this.

i'd like to read about what the opinions are about this topic.

i myself can't define it properly but, i'll try:

i think a toy hoarder buys out of fear, and a collector buys out of love... eh, i think i just confused myself further...

anywayz, pls share opinions. thanks!

2. The touch79

The touch79 Sparticon

I feel a hoarder is someone who buys more than one of a toy for themselves. I feel a hoarder is a more experienced collector. They love the theme/toys so much that they are extremists. I feel since the average hoarder of other toy lines (legos, star wars, etc.) would be considered the average transformers collector because hasbro makes so many transformers products per years including all the remolds, that you are going to have a large amount in your collection if you regularily buy them that other collectors outside of transformers may feel is "hoard-worthy."

3. tchad

tchad Well-Known Member

I actually stopped collecting because I was buying and getting a rush - then done until the next buy. I was compulsive, but I do have some toys I love. MP 01 and 08 - those are toys I cherish and always display. Recently I have been letting myself buy again and I placed restrictions on myself. For me it isn't hoarding though, its because I'm poor and spending $30-40 on a frivolous toy makes me feel like I'm doing better financially.

Since I let myself buy again I'm only buying human alliance and leaders and no more than 1 purchase per month.

To answer your question though, as someone with compulsion disorders - I know when it's a compulsion when I'm doing it. I feel anxiety set in and I stop and buy something. My collection used to be $100's/month and they are now all in boxes that I keep meaning to sell. The REAL collection to me (and for me - i think the answer is relative) is what I can display modestly. I have MP-01 at work and MP-08 along with some HA in alt mode. In my head I keep thinking I should get a bunch of alt/binals to go with them and how cool would that look...that is compulsion though, I don't really care about having them.

4. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

I think there's a little hoarder in every collector. In my opinion, you have a hoarding issue if buying toys is interfering with your life (financial issues, space issues, etc) and causing problems.

5. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Hm, hoarding and collecting isn't as clear a line to me. I know there are various definitions as well. But isn't collecting in itself, hoarding? I mean, we are just, right now, talking about positive connotation (collecting) vs. negative connotation (hoarding) for the same action.

with that in mind. I would like to state that my opinion is that buying the figures you like, is collecting, while buying multiple same figures, or collect just to finish the line, is hoarding.

Mind you, members here can even be different within themselves. For example, someone can be a hoarder in terms of the animated line, but only a collector in the CHUG line. The line is not clear.

Finally, I would like to say that, spare those who admits that they are hoarding, I believe most people will say that anything "less than" their behavior is "collecting" (aka with a positive connotation), and anything that is "more than" their own is "hoarding" (aka negative connotations). Its sad, in a way, that despite being adults many of us (including me at times), still think the world is gauged by us.

To pull an example, a video gamer will almost always look at people who play a lot more than them, as addiction, and people who play much less, as n00b-ier.

6. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    though my collecting addiction isnt taking a toll on my finaces...too much. space is becoming an issue...i think i do have a little hoarding issue going on.but i like to thnk of it more like a pack rat than hoarding...makes me handle it better this way...all i can say is than goodness for tupperwar bins and the attic :) 

7. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I see myself as a selective collector, acquiring figures on their individual merits rather than their place in a line. I'm also a selective hoarder; of those figures I regard as the crème de la crème, I might double or even triple down as a way of insuring them. What good is monetary insurance if you can't actually buy a replacement in the future?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  8. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    See...hoarding is a very very different thing in my eyes. I am in no way a completionist, but I do buy my fair share of them. I fit my stuff in the best way possible, that way it doesn't prevent me movement in my room, which would be more of a hoarding. ATM, I am limited to space, however, once I have a few things worked out, I shall have rooms dedicated to collectables. Hoarding sounds more like a completionist, however, they care less about display and more about having. I have seen rooms filled with stuff just stacked up, no ordinance to it, and no real displaying purposes. Those cases, you know there is a hoarding issue.

Me, I am a collector, and a child at heart. That is what I purchase for, to display, and play on occasion.

9. vaders_child

vaders_child Member

A hoarder lies within us all as i would assume we all get a buzz when we purchase a new collection addition,i know i do.
    The difference between a collector and a hoarder is self control and having a focus.
    A focus is the best way to collect and to keep things managable for example i only collect misb G1 Transformers and vintage moc Lili Ledy Star Wars figures its expensive but that is what refrains me from becoming a hoarder even though i must admit i do visit TRU alot and i want to buy loads when im in there but i never let it get out of hand.
    If you save for the more expensive rarer items you get a greater satisfaction when you aquire it compared to buying loads of relatively cheap items which just give you a short lived buzz and leave you dissatisfied so you feel the need to go back and buy more and more and so begins the life of a hoarder.

10. OreoBuilder

OreoBuilder Well-Known Member

Good question!

I guess part of the answer is in the reason for purchasing. Collectors appreciate their collections, try to display them (according to the available space, etc) and try to complete them. Hoarders will buy for the sake of buying. They can rationalize their behaviour by saying they have plans to display, build dios or make customs, but they never quite get around to it.

However, the line is definitely pretty thin. Hoarding can be an extreme version of collecting. Certainly, buying multiples of the same figure for nothing more than storing them is hoarding. However, buying multiples of the same figure for customs or army building or doing the loose/MOC thing is collecting.

However we define these ideas, I think that it's a good thing, as collectors, to ask ourselves this question once in a while.

OB

11. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Collecting is organised hoarding really.

12. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Collecting is what I do and Hoarding is what that other guy who outbid me is doing!!!!!

But seriously, I think they are the same to some. I only get one of each while others get two to display in each mode or even more if they have multiple modes. Others get as many as they can because they like them. Still others buy multiples because they have this weird idea that they will become rich??? Do people hoard...yes, do people collect...yes. I know I did not answer your question but I am sure others will agree with me....unless your that HOARDER who keeps outbidding me!!!!!!!!

13. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hrmm every collector has a different way of collecting. some get multiples, one for display and one boxed and one as a back up or whatever.

i think hoarding would be buying multiples for no reason, just to buy it just to buy it and starts affecting the living situation of that person.

its tough because everyone collects different. this is a tough one. im trying to think of episodes on hoarders, and hoarding: buried alive and seeing how it would fit. seems most hoarders do because a tramatic experience has caused them to not be able to let go.

i could see it the same where someone may not want to let go of something in fear of price going up and never being able to buy it again, or one being broken and needing more as a back up.

kind of how i see it.

14. vaders_child

vaders_child Member

I think collecting can become an addiction and if there is no self control within the collector then he will hoard.
    I did used to become slightly depressed if i could not buy a collection addition i wanted due to bills etc,it really used to make me feel down.
    Im not that bad now but i do believe toy collecting can be as addictive as Drink and Drugs but in no way as destructive of course.

15. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    Whenever I think of a hoarder, I think of someone who creates an emotional attachment with almost every object that comes into their lives. To give up a scrap of paper or a piece of plastic is like asking us to burn a photo of a family member who has passed on. But, enough of that.

Hoarders always seem to be ashamed of what their environment has turned into. They don't talk about it, they are afraid to ask for help, etc. A collector, on the other hand, will seem proud of what he has accumulated and take every opportunity to show off or talk about. Most of the collectors I know are meticulous about caring for their collection as well.

So there's the line for me - care, upkeep, and pride in one's collection.

16. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    Deceptigtar kinda hit a point with me.....

I usually buy doubles of everything because I'm scared that something will happen to the ones I've opened, and will be costly to replace later on.

I was never like this before at all. This actually all started with me because of BW Transmetals. When some figures like TM Rattrap started to chip and flake with their chrome paint, they looked absolutely horrible. And it has become part of the reason why I hate chrome paint. Then there was an incident with Cicadacon of the Tripredecus combiner, with one of his wings breaking. From then on....it just began that way.

Over the years, I've pretty much done the doubles with most. Reissues are the only ones I've never done that with, with exception of E-Hobby Astrotrain (I got two of those when he was released, as Astrotrain was a personal fave from being a kid). Usually with those I take 'em out, mess with them for a bit and then pack then back up again.

I've had a lot...and I mean A LOT of stuff over these years, to the point it was ridiculous. Thankfully now, I've sold most of my stuff and will only concentrate on getting Classic Style figures, as those are the only ones that have my interest from all the stuff I've collected over the years.

I don't know if that makes me a hoarder, but that is my reason why.

17. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Collectors can stop at any time.

Hoarders can't.

I'm prone to think that hoarders have some kind of minute to major mental disorder depending on the situation.

18. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So is this considered hoarding? This is part of a guys collection.

[​IMG]

19. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My definition is closest to blunghole. Collecting and hoarding by nature have to overlap. You also reach the hoarding stage when you longer like certain figures but refuse to sell or get rid of it.

20. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Nice collection there.