Heavy/Scratch: Defensor!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by megacyber, Sep 19, 2008.

1. megacyber

megacyber Wrecker

Inspired by the customs seen recently here, particularly Frenzy_Rumble's Menasor, I have decided to make my own combiner, and decided on doing Defensor. I plan to use Cyberton Optimus Prime as the body, Cybertron Red Alert as First Aid, Energon Bulkhead as Blades (maybe) Universe Sideswipe as Streetwise, and Cybertron Ransack as Groove. For the combiner parts, I'm going to use Primus's arms. One arm will keep the cannons, the other will have a circular device with 6 blue LEDS in it to represent his Forcefield. He will likely just use Prime's cannon/pistol thing. The top part of the legs will be Unicrons, the bottom part will be the blue parts that fit on Cybertron Prime's legs while in super mode, and the feet will be RID Optimus Prime's. I will probably use either Primus' or SSS' head. Any ideas or suggestions to get me started on this?

Attached Files:

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Have you worked out how the bots will look together in their combined form? I'm just concerned that you've got such a mismatched grouping size wise - you've picked out a Scout, two Deluxes and a Voyager (more or less) to plug onto a Leader-class fig. Are you sure you can make that look balanced?
    If you've got that worked out, fair enough, though in that case it might be an idea to give us a picture of what you've got in mind (lay them out on the floor and take a photo or something).

If not, you might want to consider maybe switching out Bulkhead for a smaller form, like one of the Energon Bruticus helicopters (Stormcloud or Blackout), so you can match him up with Ransack.

3. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I'd work from the Cybertron EVAC mold for Blades... especially with the upcoming repaint, which could save you some trouble.

There's already an Energon Bulkhead repaint in Blades-like colours (Quickstrike), but the problem with that figure is that he's very clearly an assault helicopter, not a rescue chopper.

The Evac mold is a bit smaller, so he'll fit in better with the others. Besides looking more like a rescue vehicle, IMHO Evac is also one of the nicest helicopter-bots to come along.

Also, have you considered working from Animated Prowl for Groove? He stretches out to a good height (could be useful for forming an arm) and looks a bit more like a real bike compared to the sci-fi looking Ransack.

Can't wait to see an extensive custom Defensor! Seems like Devastator and Menasor get all the love instead. :) 

zmog

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  5. megacyber

megacyber Wrecker

yeah, I saw the WIP page, that was part of what got me thinking about it. I did think about using blades as the helicopter, and as for the legs, I have plan... Those blue things with the cannons that attach to the back of Prime's legs in super mode will be the lower legs, and I'll simply attach Sideswipe and Ransack to them. I think that will give it more stability, since it would be difficult to get a motorcycle to attach as a leg freestanding. Idk, I still need to order the figures and piece it all together, I'm still just sort of planning it for now.

EDIT: If I can get my camera to work, I'll take pictures of what I have in mind. I might just do the Evac repaint if it's small enough to use as an arm. My wal-mart has those in stock, so I might just pick him up next pay day. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:

I already worked out an arm-mode for groove. ;)  barely gotta mod it too.

7. megacyber

megacyber Wrecker

Didn't the original Defensor use Groove as a leg though? I know it would probably be easier to use him as an arm, but I'm trying to be as accurate as possible. I layed it out last night (at least what I have) and I got sunstreaker to line up right with the blue Prime part, so I know that side is okay. I'll try to get a ransack soon to do the same.

Also, I have never owned the Evac mold, do the blades and hook come off? If not, I could mod them, probably with magnets. I'll probably go get him Thursday when I get payed.

8. SMOG

On the EVAC mold, the rotor blade hub itself will pop out, but the actual "motor", and the rescue winch are held in place by screws (if not rivets) on the forearms. You'd have to mod them to make it so you could pop them on or off as you please.

However, it is nice that he can wear the rotor blades on his forearm as a weapon, as that seems like it would suit G1 Blades' personality quite well. :) 

zmog

9. megacyber

megacyber Wrecker

That would be awesome, even better if I can get defensor to hold it. I'm also thinking about modifying the two cannons on prime's fire truck mode so that defensor can wield them.

10. SMOG

Not a bad idea, since G1 Defensor used Hotspot's twin fireball guns in combined mode. If you can find a way to have the propeller assembly pop off Blades' arm, then for sure Defensor could use it. Good call.

zmog

11. megacyber

megacyber Wrecker

Man, I'm really excited to get started on this now. Though I'm having a hard time figuring out the exact sizes of Ransack and Red Alert without Seibertron.com being completely back yet. Once that's back up and running and I can see some pictures of them next to figures I own, I can gauge how well they'll work as limbs.

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Traditionally, Defensor has most often been shown using Groove as a leg, but as with all the "Scramble City" style combiners, any limb could work as any other limb. Some limb-bots had more more commonly used positions than others, but they're all interchangable.

13. megacyber

megacyber Wrecker

That's true, maybe if I can't get a good motorcycle to use as an arm I'll switch him out with First Aid.

14. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    scale wise, you're going to find there aren't many motorcycles the same size as vans.

15. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    well i think Armada Sideways or Energon Repaint of Sideways would work:) 

16. megacyber

megacyber Wrecker

I thought about using the Sidways mold, but I tried to make him a leg and I just wasn't happy with the results. I'm going to find a cybertron Ransack somewhere and try him, then go from there.

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:

Exactly. There's no limit to who you can place where other than making it work, and nothing else. :) 

18. megacyber

megacyber Wrecker

we'll see soon. Thursday I'll pick up blades, crankcase to use as first aid, and get a ransack off eBay. Hopefully it all works out. If not, I might just end up switching first aid and groove.

19. megacyber

megacyber Wrecker

Okay, I got blades today, but they didn't have crankcase. I think I'll be able to use him as an arm, but it will take a little modding to get the tail fin to fold flush with the body. Other than that just a few paint apps, like painting most of the black white, and he should be great.

20. MoeSizzlac

MoeSizzlac Newb Customizer

I noticed that a Universe Voyager class Inferno is coming out soon. Wonder if that will make a better hot spot.