Defensor - WIP (80%)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, May 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    As my Devastator hits the paint phase, it's time to plan my next large-scale project. I've decided to go to the autobot side...and roll with Defensor!

I'd like to open this thread to any suggestions for components to this project.
    I'd like to go deluxe or voyager size on all choices, and I'm sure most of you know the TFs out there better than me.

[att]8713[/att]

Streetwise (Police car) - Energon Hotshot
    First Aid (Ambulance) - Energon Tow Line
    Blades (Helicopter) - Cybertron Buzzsaw <---still undecided on this one
    Groove (Motorcycle) - RID Axer
    Hot Spot (Fire Truck) - RID prime

Please let me know if you have better choices than this, or if my current picks are not-to-scale with one another.

Thanks!

** Update: 11/28/08

This project is back alive, well, it has been for a while, but finally got around to a structure, VERY strong this time, worthy of a few pics. This bitch is much taller than my other combiners.

Once complete, I think there will be only 3 extra parts needed for a structurally sound and proportionately correct gestalt mode.

There's still a TON of work to do, and I've only been able to work on this guy between other hotter priority projects.

Since the beginning, I've swapped many of the mold ideas. No more Axer or Buzzsaw...using heavily modded Sideways (thanks JAF for the ideas) and blades as himself. In the blades pic, you can see how I modded the back/tail of the copter so that the forearm can be there instead.

Still need to build the chest piece/stomach plates....hoping to have those updates soon...

** December 3rd Update

Some new pics. I am waiting on a set of the original G1 chest plates which I will use to create the chest piece for mine. Arms were a PITA to get on good so they retain articulation. This is one huge and heavy gestalt. About 80% as I take a break to write this...

[att]18383[/att]

[att]18384[/att]

[att]18385[/att]

Attached Files:

2. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Total Randomness Personified

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I dunno if it would work maybe the Spider-Man Crossovers cycle, it depends of how big the other things are. But still I think it would be a good choice as far as Streetwise I dont have a clue.

3. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    This is just my idea but maybe for Groove maybe TF Animated Prowl or maybe you could try TF Armada Sideways or even TF Cybertron Lugnut, these are just ideas of coures the final choice is your =)

4. Sentinel Pax

Sentinel Pax Well-Known Member

For Groove, one of the G2 lasercycles would be cool, though I'm not sure if the scale would work out. Probably not. Streetwise could really be any car-former and then just painted in police deco. I'm curious to see what mods you'll make to FAB Rathcet, because it doesn't seem like it would fit in without some serious modding.

5. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, if I were to do a Defensor kitbash, these are the molds I would probably choose (depending on the size differences).

Streetwise (Police car) - Classics Prowl
    First Aid (Ambulance) - Classics Ironhide (Ratchet repaint if we do indeed get it)
    Blades (Helicopter) - Cybertron Buzzsaw
    Groove (Motorcycle) - Crossovers Spiderman
    Hot Spot (Fire Truck) - Classics Optimus Prime (yeah yeah, not a fire-truck, but it would look cool in his deco, imo, and a fire-rescue trailer would help with the alt-mode, and could hold the extra parts and weapons when not in use).

6. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I've been fiddlin' around with Blackout for a Bruticus arm forever. I just don't like the way it works(for me). Plus the whole snap off section bothers me. I ended up working with Incinerator instead, but he won't work in your case. What about the Cybertron Evac mold? It looks more like what I think of when I think Blades, and may mesh better with some of your other choices.

Barricade with new hands and head would be a nice Streetwise, even if it is a bit obvious.

For a scaled bike, I don't know. I like the idea of TFA Prowl with a new head.

Good luck, I know it be a great bash!!:thumb 

**...wanders off to work on Bruticus........

7. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    OOPS!!....Totally forgot about Classics Prowl!!:sly2: :rolleyes2 

8. chlokai

chlokai Well-Known Member

i've been thinking about doing this myself, my choices would be,

hot spot, cyb mudflap with the crane replace with ladder
    streetwise, cyb downshift with added sirens and lose the engine
    blades, cyb buzzsaw or arm cyclonus
    groove, arm sideways
    first aid, cyb red alert

9. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    Are you trying to maintain aesthetic, or does any line work for you? I ask because I noticed you had listed Blackout for Blades, and RID Prime for Hotspot. Movie figures look very different than any other line out there. You, of course, are aware of this. Just throwing it out there.

To maintain an aesthetic I think is important, especially when we're discussing gestalt teams. Like with my Predaking 2.0, I wanted all the components to be very machine-like, and as far from an organic look as possible. In keeping with that idea, here's what I'd suggest:

- Streetwise : Classics/Universe 2.0 Prowl (yea... I'm waiting too. ;)  )
    - Blades : Cybertron Evac/Springer....and a Blades, too! How convenient! :) 
    - First Aid : Cybertron Red Alert or Classics Ironhide, depending on your size requirements (Cyb RA may be a bit too bulky... but you may need that for a leg-bot)
    - Groove : Depeding on which one is larger, either Crossover Spider-Man or Movie Arcee (with Arcee, it's not extremely movie-like, like Blackout; you could mod this one with sculpey or putty to fill in some unnecessary mold details, smoothing it out to make it more traditional, along with a head swap, which I know you are more than capable of -*|*- all of this goes for Spider-Man, also. Some putty and sanding and you won't be able to see those etched in web lines anymore)
    - Hotspot : RID Prime. So sexay, why Hasbro never released it baffles me...

- Alty

10. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Hot Spot: Cyb Mudflap (no painting required, just a new head and a ladder! :p )
    Groove: G2 Road Pig/RID Axer/Robot Masters Double Face. Essentially the only one who ressembles a police motorcycle.
    Streetwise: Cybertron Hot Shot or Energon Downshift
    First Aid: Towline or Cyb Red Alert
    Blades: Dunno. He has to be a rescue copter and the only recent one of those is Evac... And that's a bit too big.

11. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hot Spot: RiD Prime
    Blades: don't know of any deluxe sized heli, Blackout would work with a new head I suppose
    First Aid: most likely Classics Ironhide
    Groove: no idea
    Streetwise: he was a Datsun police car originally, so a slight Classics Prowl repaint would be fitting... especially if you can flip down his hood a bit but I don't think you can.

12. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    maybe a classics sunstreaker/sideswipe repaint with a lightbar ontop. Not realistic I know but it would work to some extent

13. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    thanks for the suggestions radicons, keep them coming please!

I've searched all over ebay, and the web at some of the suggestions.
    Here's my breakdown now...

(the ones in italic are locked and bid on or purchased.)

Streetwise (Police car) - Classics Prowl sounds like a great idea, but is it available yet?

First Aid (Ambulance) - Same with this one, is classics Ironhide even available yet? if so, who's selling it?

Blades (Helicopter) - Still undecided, I like CYB buzzsaw, but I think he's too tiny for an arm, or at least comparable to first aid (which most likely will be other amr)

Groove (Motorcycle) - I'm liking the spiderman X-over idea, but is this figure on shelves yet? I see them on ebay, but $40.00+$20 s/h ...is rediculous. The bike needs to be bulky, like this one is, and also become a leg, to hold up a lot of weight...I', liking this idea.

Hot Spot (Fire Truck) - RID prime

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

STREETWISE:
    I wouldn't go with Prowl for Streetwise... frankly there just wouldn't enough of a difference between them, especially in the deco. Prowl is the orginal Autobot police car, so I would at least go for a different mold for Streetwise. Even RID Prowl might work.

FIRST AID:

The FAB Ratchet mold is kind of crappy. We don't really get ambulances much anymore in Transformers... seems like it's always "rescue vehicles" instead, often a form of SUV. However, because First Aid always seemed a bit blocky (like most Scramble City characters), I'd probably go with a repainted Cybertron Red Alert with a new head.

GROOVE:

This one is always going to be an obvious scale issue. Crossover Spidey A) Doesn't look like a police bike, B) is going to take a lot more work to make the robot mode work, and C) might be hard to make into a limb (especially a leg).

But if you wanted a good, load-bearing bike-bot, I'd go with the Armada Sideways mold. Yeah, yeah... I know that mold sucks, but it can actually be greatly improved with only a bit of work... I recently saw one in someone's gallery and it had been given a new head and remarkable poseability upgrades. Plus it would keep that sort of boxy aesthetic that defines Groove.

BLADES:

Blackout seems like he'd be much too big and bulky to function as a good limb. If size was not an issue, Cybertron Evac (or even the upcoming Blades repaint of that mold!) would work best as a light rescue chopper. However FAB Blackout would also be a good middle ground. It's a surprisingly good figure. Just swap in a smaller head, and add some articulated arms in place of his stiff ones, and you've got a great deluxe-scale chopper TF.

HOTSPOT:

RID Prime is actually a pretty great choice for Hotspot. The core robot is a dead ringer for Hotspot (who always looked a bit like Prime anyway). However, you do have all that extra power-up kibble that may sort of get in the way... though it could be invaluable for your combined Defensor mode, it would have sit on the side when your Protectobots were in their robot modes.

zmog

15. spoonman

spoonman I make bots.

I would try to come up with an entirely new vehicle to replace grooves as a limb due to the scaling problem. Perhaps use a RM Doubleface to use as a scout/targetmaster-ish weapon? Keep the motorcycle around as a tip of the hat to the original.

16. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Crossovers Spiderman, I should point out, will be bigger than a Deluxe, because he'll be made in the same scale as the SWTFs currently on shelves.

17. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    thansk for the additional replies. I think the only ones I am confident with at this point are RID prime for hot spot, and Classics or RID Prowl as Streetwise.

On a sidenote, if you have these figures available, please PM me with costs!

18. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

Bet your going to beat me to the finished product. I'm still trying to track down the right color for my Hot Spot. I look forward to seeing you combine yours. I am using the following:

Hot Spot: RID OP
    Streetwise: RID Prowl
    Groove: RID Sideburn
    First Aid: Movie Rescue Ratchet
    Blades: Movie Evac

19. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    sounds good, but sideburn's a car, isn't he? and ratchet and evac are HUGE compared to prowl and groove...does he look like a gorilla?

20. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Groove: Energon Deluxe Highwire

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.