Defender: Get him or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MrSoundwaveGuy, Jun 16, 2010.

?

Should I get Defender?

1. Yes

50 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Get him some other time

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    I've finally got the cash for FP Defender but I kinda have a hard time deciding to get him. I'm more of a bang-for-your-buck kinda guy so I REALLY don't like spending so much on such a figure. But I would also really like to have him, and he's probably the best we'll have for Classics Springer for a while. So should I get him or save my money? (I could get WFC and the first wave of Generations with the cash)

2. Slimaximus

Slimaximus Headmaster

News Credits:
    I would say get him, it is a 3rd party company, don't know the exact number made and may shoot up in price in the future

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, if it's all about the bang for your buck, then probably skip him. As you say, you can buy a lot more with your money.

However, if you've got any interest in him at all, I suggest you make your decision quickly. I think BBTS and TFSource are starting to bottom-out on their stocks, and Toy Arena can't be that far behind. With low stocks like that, you're only going to see the prices climb.

4. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    BBTS sold out a week ago. Act soon, if you think you'll regret passing on him.

5. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Get it. Now. Better than anything on shelves right now.

6. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    now now NOW!!!!!!!

7. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Worth every penny. This guy is going to be hard (and/or expensive) to find in about a year, just like most of the other fansproject stuff.

8. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Get him. He's a great toy, and I think he's 100% worth the money.

Wow, seriously? I got mine from BBTS about a week ago, looks like I was one of the last people to get one from there.

9. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Even if you don't want to buy him now, but plan to still get him later. Then get him now, otherwise you will be paying more, once hes gone from online retail.

10. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    100% truth, i sat back and watched the same thing happen with city commander, not letting it happen to me

11. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Get him!

12. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Gotta echo what everyone else has said. It's an amazing toy, and you won't regret it.

13. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Definitely won't regret getting it man..... a FANTASTIC edition to your Classic/Universe/Henkei/Generations collection.

- Gregg

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personally, I didn't get much 'bang for the buck', though I don't regret buying, as FP stuff is limited-time-only, at least in terms of getting the version you want.

Good robot mode with good Springer homage with mild standing problems, two mediocre vehicle modes, design and build quality comparable to a 'real' Transformer toy, and a transformation that seemed more like busy work than fun (for me)

It's a fine item, if more than a tiny bit overrated and overhyped (IMO :)  )

15. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    If you think you're gonna want him down the road at all, get him. But I myself did not like him and ended up selling him right away. I'm also pretty damn picky though so... Yeah, I just found a few little nitpicky things that added up to me not liking him. Mostly his legs. I didn't like the way they looked.

16. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    Get 'em now while there is some left!

I love mine! Put some reprolabels on him and put him in your Classics collection!

Or you could wait for the probable "Nemesis Warbot" repaint.

17. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

$80 was a little hard to swallow, but I've always liked the character, and I've got some nostalgia since I once had the original toy.

Objectively speaking, it's a steep price for a toy, but not too bad for a collector's item. Subjectively, though, it's something that I REALLY enjoy having. It fills a spot in my collection that I really care about, and I'm very happy to have it. It's a fun (albeit somewhat fiddly) toy, a character I like, and (as I just said), fills a spot in my collection, so it was $80 well spent for something that adds to my collection - which is something that brings me a lot of happiness.

This is a principal that I learned from my Grandmother. Someone once asked her what she did for fun. She said "gardening." When they said "Well, that's more like work, isn't it?" she told them that it was something that made her happy. Even though she's frail now, and has a hard time with physical activities, her garden brings her joy. I find this to be a great analogy to my collection - I can't always afford everything I want, but when I have money for something like this, it's not just spending $80 on a toy. It's spending $80 on something that brings me a great deal of happiness. That's what's important.

18. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Good man. Thats the spirit.

19. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Thanks. I thought so. :)  On a personal note, she's my last living grandparent, and I want to tell her about that particular quote - I think it would make her very happy to know she taught something like that to her first grandchild.

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    You're not going to be upset if you decide to buy Defender. There's only a handful of guys of TFW who have not enjoyed him; the odds are in your favor my friend.