Deefuzz + Snowboarding = Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deefuzz, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First a little background:

I had been wanting to learn to snowboard for quite a while and just recently got my opportunity. I had first went skiing about 2 years ago with a few people who had gone regularly for a while. One of them gave me some pointers and after picking up some rental equipment, I was off down the slopes. By the end of the weekend I was able to make it down a couple of blue (moderate) runs without falling, which I found to be a great accomplishment.

Last winter season, my girlfriend began to learn how to snowboard at this local park in a women's beginnger class. She had bought her own equipment because she knew it was something she would like, and was definitely sold on it and had a good grasp of it by the end of her class term.

Recently I had found out her brother (a good friend of mine) and one of our other friends were wanting to learn how to snowboard too, so this past Sunday we just decided to go give it a shot. [/END background]

We get there, pick up some rental equipment, and sign up for a beginners class while my girlfriend got her gear out of the car and went to hit the slopes. Our class started off with basics: getting into the board, skating around when on relatively flat ground, turning, getting up from a fall, etc.

It was much more difficult starting off with learning to snowboard then it was learning to ski. Much of what you need to do is so counter-intuitive or against what you feel, it is just so unnatural, yet at the same time exhilirating. One noticible difference for me: when I am falling in skiing it felt more of a gradual process, and I could somewhat control my fall to slowly skid while sitting down and maybe even spin-out. But in snowboarding when trying to turn and the board catches I just straight up fall. All this momentum and then forward movement stops and sends me crashing to the ground hard, so I was continuously breaking my fall with my hands and really doing some damage to my wrists.

So here I sit, two days later after my first snowboarding experience and my entire body is in so much pain and I am insanely sore. I remember in skiing feeling a bit sore when I was done, because you use alot of muscles you wouldn't think that you use and you get a hell of a workout doing it. After snowboarding however, I think I almost feel worse and I was out there for maybe half the time than my first time skiing.

Yet I look forward to going back again and again and again. I want to be able to master those turns. I want to be able to have control on the board and be able to make it down green runs without falling, and then blue runs, and then maybe even head off to a ski resort somewhere for a nice weekend snowboarding trip.

The pain in my body just reminded me of all of this so I decided to share my long story with you guys, for those that skipped to the end without reading my overly long drawn out stoy above, here are the cliff notes: went snowboarding for the first time, in loads of pain but loved it. Will go back again. The few pictures that were taken are forthcoming.

Thanks for reading! Anyone else been boarding and have stories to share?

2. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Have fun man! I always wanted to try snowboarding. If I ever go back to Colorado or anywhere else where I can, I'm definitely trying.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I taught myself how to snowboard. Granted my previous skateboarding experience helped a lot. They say if you have experience skateboarding of surfing, it's much easier.

But yes, the following day after a session of snowboard is killer on my body. I always make it a point to stretch after a session so that the next day won't be so hard on my body. It usually works to tone down the pain.

My one bad experience with snowboarding was when I caught an edge of the board and slammed the back of my head into some hard pack. I sat there afterwards for like half an hour trying to get my bearings back. Just sat there staring out into space.

From that day on, I wore a helmet.

Oh yeah, before snowboarding I was skiing for many many many years.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  4. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Did you go out to Hidden Valley? I haven't been to that place in about 10 years.

I learned how to ski about 2 or 3 years ago. Started in Winter Park, CO. It was a blast. Snowboarding looks extremely difficult and kudos for trying it. Once you're good at it, it will be something that you and the little lady can enjoy together.

5. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    I used to live in Dillon, CO. When friends would come up for weekend trips, I hated teaching them how to snowboard. Most people want to try it their last day and it sucks to watch them catch an edge. Everything that Deefuzz mentioned about skiiing and snowbaording is dead on. When you are about to fall skiing, you can prepare for it. With snowboarding, you don't know until you already hit the ground. There is no way to get around the sore wrists, arms or tailbones. The good thing is that the learning curve for snowboarding is steeper than skiing. That means while it may take a little longer to stay up at first, you can become a better snowboarder faster than you can a better skier.

Only 2 friends were able to pick it up extremely fast. Both of them used to skateboard and at the time were regular wakeboarders. One of the funniest memories we have from CO is waiting for them halfway down the run on their first descent. The first guy comes down screaming down the mountain so fast he doesn't even hear me scream his name. I see him do perfect s turns as he makes his way to the lift chair. I turn my head just time to see the 2nd guy coming down, fast but not as fast as the 1st guy. He dips slightly off the run into a clearly visible mogul field, hits a mogul and throws down a 180 back onto the main run and take off the towards the lift chair.

6. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

I used to skate a lot and my brother in law thought that because of that id pick up boarding really quickly but it was a train wreck. I fell while just walking in the line to get on the lift. I hated having that board strapped to one of my feet the whole time. Getting off the lift I really tried to get up but I ended up just falling off and then crawling out of the way so others can get off the lift. Then i got up, strapped my other foot in and spent the next hour or so trying to not fall down, falling down, crawling out of peoples way, getting up, repeat process. I ended up getting down the green run a little bit but i fell and twisted my ankle and got a ride down on a snow mobile... Would I try again? I dont know... I love to ski and have picked that up quickly. Maybe I should have spent some time on the bunny hill on that snow board instead of going right up to a green run.. Kudos to you for looking forward to trying again because that boarding experience was almost 4 years ago and I am not interested in trapping on another board for a while

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oh to add another note.

Snowboard chicks are hot. :D 

8. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

very very true.. i go to park city and i dont know what it is but every girl ive seen on a board had me looking twice..

9. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very cool deefuzz. I always wanted to try skiing, hope to soon.

Glad to know you are determined! No Pain, No Gain!

10. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

That's pretty awesome to hear, Deefuzz.

Congrats to you for learning to snowboard.

11. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    Everyone I have ever met who has snowboard has warned me of what a pain in the butt it is (literally) :lol 

But they look forward to it every single time

I look forward to learning .. even if it's painful

12. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ouch! I had a chance to try snowboarding about 8 years ago during a trip to Switzerland - unfortunately my insurance didn't cover skiing or snowboarding, and I didn't want to risk it as I knew I'd end up hospitalising myself! :( 

13. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Nice adventured DF, I tried snowboarding and skiiing in Indiana, and I think I almost visited Sonny a few times.

Dont have any pics and glad, or there would be more FAIL material to go around :lol 

Downhill sloping is FAAAAAASSST and scary as hell. Even stopping is hard for me, felt like I was going to snap my ankles. I thought all the skateboarding in my days prepared me for it, wrong.
    Im like the Fall guy

14. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I spent 3 months here snowboarding in 2001.
    I managed to go to Whistler for a day as well, and spent a day in Vancouver.

Oh yeah, I didn't work that entire time :D 

Every year I feel the pull of the slopes, but alas can't make it due to other commitments.
    I really want to go back :( 

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

With the name boardwise, seems like you'd make a wise boarder

16. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Another snowboarder! Sweet! I actually boarded in Niseko, Japan this season. I love to travel and snowboard cause east coast snow sucks ass. Here's me in Aspen: [​IMG]

17. TrickyDisco

TrickyDisco <b><font color=blue>Voted TFW2005's Sexiest Female

News Credits:
    Aww poor Deefuzz! :( 

I've never strapped on a board in my life, but used to ski like the wind.
    I hear a lot of people say that skiing and boarding are two totally separate universes, so a good skier will most likely suck at snowboarding. :lol 

I may find out one of these days, I used to skateboard a bit back in the early 90's :p  But I haven't really skied at all since an accident some years back.

18. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Me + Snowboarding = Instant Faceplant

I only tried it once...and I fell so fast on my face I didn't get a chance to break the fall. I thought I broke my nose it hurt so bad.

And skateboarding didn't help me at all :( 

19. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I know a guy who snapped his shin bone in half in a snowboarding accident, the bone was sticking out of his leg!!!

He had to get one of those metal cages on his leg that was bolted to the bone on the inside and everything, if was freaky.

20. Devastator001

Devastator001 Prepare for Devastation TFW2005 Supporter

I have dreamt of snowboarding for a long time, but couldn't find the time from my busy schedule to do it. Being 35 going on 36 this year, I wonder if I am too old to consider taking it up since I never skiied or skateboard in my life.