Decos, parents, collectors, kids, and you.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by KnightHawkke, Jul 6, 2014.

1. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

So I know it's been an ongoing debate in the fandom on whether source accurate decos on Trasnformers matter to anyone other than "hard core" collectors. I have seen opinions range from the average kid or parent doesn't care, to the average kid or parent isn't intelligent enough to know the difference, both of which I find shallow and lazy.

So lacking empirical evidence on the subject because I don't feel comfortable walking up to random people in a toy aisle asking how they feel about it, I just shrugged it off and went along with my collecting, and doing my bit of little customizing to fix the sometimes heinous inaccuracies of these decos. Until a few days ago..

My Mother, who knows a little bit about the franchise, but isn't a big time "collector" caught AOE with me in the theater and I picked up a voyager Hound that night on the way home because I liked the character and she took one look at him, still in the box and said "Isn't it the wrong color? Isn't he supposed to be more rusty and brownish?" I said "Yeap, that he was. but Hasbro doesn't put correct colors on things anymore with out it being the second or third release of the mold and usually overcharging for it." She said, in short "Well that's just wrong!" Why yes it is!

So I pose these questions to anyone willing to give it a civil discussion..

1. Have you had any experience with a friend or a family member or just overhead someone in a market who recognized that something was wrong with a Deco on a figure.

2. Do you feel the average consumer and or child is not intelligent enough to recognize when they look wrong.

3. Do you feel if Hasbro did a better of job of keeping things source accurate*, not necessarily to a premium deco level, keeping them as they appear in the show, that sales would be higher or lower in general?

For example, sticking out most glaringly in the most recent few lines. AOE leader Prime's windows and sword inexplicably being piss yellow for absolutely NO logical or defensible reason. Beast Hunters Voyager Prime's green windows and weapons, which with a stretch could be passed off as SynthEn, but a Damn far stretch.

4. Have you passed on buying Transformers product because of source inaccuracies in the last 12 months?

2. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

1. No. No one around me cares or knows the difference.

2. For the most part, yes. Children would be willing to get multiple but it depends on the kid. I recognized the difference and didn't care whether it was onscreen or offscreen as a character but for on-screens I never liked inaccurate decos.

3. Neutral. Movieverse Dinobot sales would probably be lower. But then things like BH Prime or Leader Prime may well be higher. The better question is why doesn't Hasbro enforce certain colors on certain onscreen characters to match things? For example, they easily could have forced fruity pebbles colors on the Dinobots and I doubt anyone would have cared. It would have livened them up, aesthetically, and we've seen outrageously neon color schemes on construction vehicles in a prior movie (the overexposure on ROTF Rampage makes his red look so intense it's insane).

4. Yes. Depends on the product, though. I bought Voyager Grimlock, but skipped Leader Grimlock. I am intending to get the movie-accurate Leader version at some point.

3. Krommdor

Krommdor The Penance Stare

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. I have discussed toys in the aisle with people occasional and it has never come up. My wife has chimed in once or twice to ask questions about details on a transformer, but not about colors. More like questions about transformation (kibble and backpack type stuff)

2. There are minor differences and then major. I think most minor details will likely go unnoticed but major will not. I think a kid knows that Green windows on an Optimus is wrong. Now whether they care.. thats different, but I do think they know.

3. If you really want a character you will buy it anyway, this goes for kids to adults to collectors. They will sell just as many purple and red dinosaurs as they would if they happen to have been grey and red. Now in the respect of the green window color on say BH prime... well when I saw the blue windows on Takaras it made me want to buy another one, even though I had the green one. If anything, the variant colors causes more purchases anyway. But that is my opinion not accurate data.

4. Sometimes, but it is more a matter of aesthetics. I think the new AOE Deluxe Drift looks nice overall, but he is just very squat and bulky. I'll be more annoyed by that before I care if the tires are on his shoulders instead of his legs where they belong. I pass on things when they have oddball proportions or at quick glance just look off. That upcoming "IDW" voyager Optimus being a "Prime" example of something that looks off int he proportion department. but if you stretched him out he would look fine. Inaccuracies are nitpick baby crap. I just dislike ugly toys. Another example would be Rhinox's unpainted guns. Yeah, its lame, but it wouldn't stop me from buying him. Now if his arms were an inch longer.. umm.. yeah maybe skip.

4. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    1. Nope none that I can recall anyways. Most conversation if any pertain more towards the actual look of the character design in comparison to the G1 iteration.

2. Kids I'd say yes they do notice these things. It might bother some, but I would like to say the vast majority don't really care so long as the figure itself is cool enough. Parents I really don't know. It really would vary from situation to situation I guess. Parents who collect obviously would be able to recognize the differences. Bottom line is as long as it doesn't look like some dollar store knock off and is a reasonable price they'll make the purchase so long as their child shows interest in the toy.

3. It might help sales and can hinder it to some degree, but overall it really depends on the figure itself. If it's like those Titan figures or even FOC Jazz they'll rot on shelves until the plastic degrades.

4. Nope can't say that I have. I might get a little irked by the missing paint app here or there but it doesn't really effect my purchase anyway. I may pass up Hasbro's in favor of Takara's if I think the paint deco is better, but I won't just outright skip a figure because they forgot to paint the eyes red or something. It's all about the figure itself. If there are enough bits and bobbles that annoy me enough to the point where it's detrimental to my enjoyment of the figure than it's an easy pass. Heck I'm going for Ecto Cooler Snarl when he pops up at retail even though there's that SDCC G1 accurate version. Okay not quite the same but you get the point.

5. Nope

Nope Conehead

News Credits:
    1. My friend once asked me why the hell Prime Cyberverse Starscream wasn't in G1 colors, but this doesn't really count, lol.

2. If someone's just buying it for their kid or something, then yes, but if a kid or consumer or whoever knows what they're actually buying, then they'll probably know. Probably.

For example, minor discrepancies on a G1 Dirge toy will be hugely glaring to me (only red eyes/gray face or yellow eyes/black face are acceptable, for example). At the same time, I had no idea that the Hound you mentioned was colored incorrectly. It just depends on how much you know about the specific character.

3. It depends how big of a difference it makes, but I'm sure that it wouldn't affect sales much, if it all (unless, like, the entire figure is off, not just some missing paint apps).

4. No. At least none that I planned on buying, anyway. If I like a character or toy enough to get it, then I'll probably get it, even if the paint is off. Universe Dinobot is a good example. Granted, I really like his amber and purple color scheme, but I would have definitely preferred show accurate colors.

6. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    I personally dislike the releasing of a mold in "more accurate screen colors". Not because of disliking the original retail colors or liking the new version more expensive version, it's just annoying that there simply isn't a version that is "exactly screen accurate colors".

Like with Leader Grimlock, so far Hasbro and Takara have shown off at least four versions of the guy, but each is just a little inch closer to screen accurate. Just make a retail color version and make one that looks exactly like he did on screen.

Leader Prime is the same way. Hasbro makes a retail version, Takara releases one with better paint apps and chrome but still has weird yellow windows, and then Hasbro releases another Platinum one with better blue and gets rid of the yellow windows, but then it doesn't have the flames painted on the front...just one of these companies make a version that does everything 100% right already!

7. hup2thepenguin

hup2thepenguin Beagle.in.red

I actually like redecoed figures that are different that on-screen, but if it's supposed to look like the on-screen one, then it should be as accurate as possible. AKA stop pasting insignas all over the place.

8. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    No, BUT, I do feel kids/parents are FAR more forgiving in that area than collectors/fans tend to be.

When I was a kid, most movie toylines took EXTREME liberties with the source material, and it really didn't appear to impact sales or my desire for them. Batman Returns stands out to me: the Penguin figure was completely inaccurate, Robin never ended up in the final film, and ALL the Batman figures lacked the "body armor" look of the actual film. But I still got TONS of tie in toys related to it.

Nope, I don't feel it would impact sales to any meaningful degree. Again, I think most kids/parents are VERY apt to settle on "close enough" in a LOT of situations. That or see stuff that looks interesting (why we didn't get a rust colored Evasion Prime: the red and blue is more dynamic on retail shelves and is more distinctively "Optimus Prime", or the Dinobots, which are FAR more visually interesting than in the film) before accurate.

And I CAN defend those choices: Hasbro didn't want to make multiple molds for translucent parts (fewer molds reduces costs), so they put everything on one mold. So to get the glowey green swords or piss yellow swords, the windshields ended up getting the same color, and Hasbro didn't feel them worth painting over.
    But there WAS a reason more than "Hasbro was being stupid" for those things happening.

9. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    I think what this thread needs is someone claiming there child/nephew/niece/neighbour/whatever hates non show accurate decos and refuses to play with this Hasblow crap they're putting out nowadays. The mother story was the poor man's version of it, give me the meat!

Weren't BH Prime's windshields dark green in the actual show?

10. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Nope. Never.
    2. Yes, a good majority of kids don't care about the deco being accurate.
    3. Maybe. Maybe not.
    4. Nein!

11. Vaikyuko

Vaikyuko Transmetal

No, they're quite dark blue, almost blackish blue in some shots with less light. Not even a hint of green.

12. SuperGiantThing

SuperGiantThing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember when I was a kid I wanted dinobot, from beast wars. I could never find him but I did find the grimlock repaint. I was satisfied with a white dinobot because it was that or nada o_o now I'm like heck no, I want screen accuracy ha

13. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

So I pose these questions to anyone willing to give it a civil discussion..

1. Have you had any experience with a friend or a family member or just overhead someone in a market who recognized that something was wrong with a Deco on a figure.

Not just the deco but also differences in plastic quality. The wife can tell the difference. Also knows which ones are fake, ie third party.

2. Do you feel the average consumer and or child is not intelligent enough to recognize when they look wrong.

No, I was a child once and even back then I saw inaccuracies.

3. Do you feel if Hasbro did a better of job of keeping things source accurate*, not necessarily to a premium deco level, keeping them as they appear in the show, that sales would be higher or lower in general?

For example, sticking out most glaringly in the most recent few lines. AOE leader Prime's windows and sword inexplicably being piss yellow for absolutely NO logical or defensible reason. Beast Hunters Voyager Prime's green windows and weapons, which with a stretch could be passed off as SynthEn, but a Damn far stretch.

It won't make any difference unless you have both scheduled for release.

4. Have you passed on buying Transformers product because of source inaccuracies in the last 12 months?

Not really.

14. BidoofdudeofOz

BidoofdudeofOz The Stench of Discovery

Way off colours bother me. Slight differences don't. FOC Shockwave is a darker purple than his model suggests, but it's purple. Close enough.

15. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    1) Not really. I tend to be the most picky person I know when it comes to deco. And even then my objection tends be more if the deco is character-inappropriate than non-show accurate. I'm more of a toy-accuracy stickler.

2) I don't think it has to do with intelligence - it's more of a case of "this is close enough" for most people.

3) My stance has always been that the toys are - or at least should be - the source material. Everything else - cartoons, comics, video games, movies - should be promotional materials for the toys. So if the BH Prime toy has green windows and the show character has dark blue, then IMO it's the show that's wrong. And I was very annoyed that he had some made-up minigun rather than the thruster/crossbow weapons the voyager figure actually came with.

Now we know unequivocally that the movie designs come before the toys (unfortunately). But if the toys can be decoed to make them more visually interesting - so you can actually tell the characters apart - then why not? I haven't seen AOE yet, but I know I'm going to be disappointed by the Dinobots after seeing the cool colorful toy versions.

4) Nope.

16. Shockblaster

Shockblaster likes Kate Upton

1. No. I'm the only TF collector in my family.

2. No. I think consumers today generally are much more savvy regarding the products that they buy (which includes Transformers) because of the relative ease of access to information regarding most consumer products.

3. I can't say. We might see a minor increase in sales because having more accurate details in said products (paint, accessories, etc.) in respect to the corresponding source material might make those products a better value in the eyes of the consumers since the toys are "just like in TV."

4. Nope. Source inconsistencies, however uncool or glaringly obvious at times, have been a part of Transformers since time immemorial, and is somewhat unavoidable.

17. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

When I was a kid in the '80's growing up on G1 it always bothered me when the toys didn't look like their counterparts on TV. Passed on a lot of figures then for that reason (Ironhide/Ratchet, Bumblebee, Optimus Prime, Wheeljack, among others). Of course, like every other kid of that time, I had no idea of the history of the franchise, how it came to be, the design process, marketing, etc.

I only collect MPs now and one of the many great things about it is it's primarily geared towards adult collectors, guys my age who have an insane amount of nostalgia for G1. There are no sacrifices or compromises made to these figures for the sake of appealing to 8 year olds or their parents.

18. Nutimus Prime

Nutimus Prime aka Nutty

My daughter always notices the fine details in life. And in our toys, particularly colors/ screen accuracy. We don't pass on things because of it but there have been plenty of times she makes sure I know. :lol  Sometimes she excited, sometimes she's sassy. I love it. :thumb