Deck finally done!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I started powerwashing my deck way back when in June. I believe around the 21st.

The deck was in bad bad shape. I should have taken a before image, but I didn't think of it at the time. I was able to find a pic of the deck from this year, but it is crappy.

So here is the before:
    [​IMG]

After powerwashing the deck, I realized it need to be sanded. Too many years of wear and tear with no TLC left it in bad shape. Luckily there was no rot.

So the fun began. I first had to take about 6 hours or so to drive the nails all the way into the boards. Fun, it was not. I actually have decided to use that as punishment for my child when he gets older.

I then rented a belt sander to try to sand the deck. that was a big no go, as it was taking forever. However the belt sander was good for the rails and made light work of them.

I then got a stand up vibrating sander to do the main deck area. That worked great.

I then used a finishing sander to get the banisters and anything else. Just to smooth it out a bit.

After sanding, I realized I needed new hand rails. The old ones were just too splintered. So I bought new ones and replaced them. Then I sanded again.

All in all, I think I spent close to 15 hours or so sanding! These were my results after sanding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I was done, I read that I should wash and brighten the deck. So after looking, I did have some spots that needed help. So I washed and brightened the deck.

I was all ready to put on the sealer, when the wife said, "maybe we should add some tint to give it some extra life." Famous last words. So I call up my stain place to place an order for Natural Pine color. 3 days the guy says. 2 weeks later, boom, stain finally comes in.

It was about 1 month since I washed and brightened, so I did it again to be safe. Was about to seal again, and then the weather set in. Rain for 3 days. 2 days to dry off, and I am about to go to town and finish the bad boy.

Of course, the weather forecasters predict rain. Day 1, no rain. Day 2, no rain. Day 3, fuck it, I am doing it rain or no rain.

I used a paint brush to do the whole deck. It took me 8 hours to do all the outside boards and all of the latice and so on. That was over 2 days. Then rain came, and I let it stand.

Yesterday was actually an awesome day. Slightly over cast, in the 70s. Perfect weather for staining. Took me 6 hours and I did all the boards minus 4 so that I could get back into the house. This morning, I finished it all up! Thank god.

Here is the final. I painted the trim to the door way as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is how well it beads after the rain. This Defy Extreme Stain: Natural Pine is great stuff for a water based sealer!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I could do it all over again, I would have just built a new deck from scratch. It would have been quicker then all the shit I did. So if you can learn from me, I suggest:

- Build new if you can (replacing boards is not hard).
    If you insist on cleaning then:
    - Powerwash with deck cleaner, and use the lightest nozzel to powerwash.
    - If you need to sand, get a belt sander for the hand rails and get a vibrating sander for the boards.
    - Always brighten, comes out nicer.
    - Use Defy Extreme Stain, that stuff is incredible. I have to see the long term results of it, but even with it on, I can see a drastic difference from when the deck I used Thompson's. Thompson's only lasted 6 moths!

Lastly, I think there is a sector in hell reserved for sinners who are damned to finish decks. It is that annoying to do. So if you tackle this project, be warned!

While doing this, I removed 12 abbreviate trees and put up a vinyl fence in the back of the house (had vinyl on the side, and rotted wood in the back that the trees were hiding). This week I am going to pick up the Sod and finish off my backyard. Very excited to be all done. All in all I will have a new deck and have added about 500 sq feet to my back yard for my son to play in. Also, the deck is now a safe splinter free zone for him as well.

2. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This belong in Radicons, bro :lol 

3. Alucard77

News Credits:
    If I would have switched out the banisters and the vertical boards like I wanted to, I may have just done that. My wife convinced me to leave it as is and just stain it.

I guess I am happy I did. Having to stain 100 2x2 would have no been fun.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Now wait for it to get struck by lightning and burst into flames.

Alucard77 (on knees, shaking fists to the skies): "Daaaaamn youuuuuu, weatherrrrrrrrrr!!!"

:p 

5. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    Nice work.

6. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Awesome work man! Gives me inspiration to demolish a garden then lay 64m2 of artificial lawn in less than two weeks........

Kinda......

:inquisiti 

7. Alucard77

News Credits:
    At this point, I consider it done. So lightening strikes it, then what was meant to be will be. My family will eat on a half burned deck and like it. I ain't touching that bitch until next year!

Haha, good luck. Hopefully that will be an easier job though.

8. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Not in the forecast heavy rain & pneumatic drills that are needed to take up a garage foundation.

But yeah...should be fun :D 

9. Alucard77

News Credits:
    You didn't mention the heavy drills and foundations. Damn!

Good luck. That is a pain in the ass. Wait till you hit the re-barb.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Looks pro, nice job.

11. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Thanks for the kind words.

No where close to pro, btw. Unfortunately I have a couple of drip marks on the side. Oh well, I learned how to stain in either case, and there are only like 2 or 3 drip marks, so not the end of the world.

This stain was a pain. It is good but requires you to do 2 coats. A "wet on wet application". I ended up with a good technique by the time I got to the boards, but the wet on wet makes it take twice as long.

That shit better last 2 years as everyone is saying it does. If that shit last 6 months, I will kill everyone. LOL.

Also, I keep reading that Brightening the deck after cleaning is what gives it a nicer look. So if anyone does this, don't forget the brightener.

12. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

I'll have to view it later as the pics aren't showing up here at work, but congratulations, I know you put a lot of hard work into it.

13. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Pretty.

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

You have a big deck. It's takes a real deckhead to know this stuff.
    Watchout for slugs, they're real decksuckers.

15. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Really? Shit, never knew that. I actually killed a couple of slugs during the deck cleaning process. Little guys fizzed right up. I kinda felt bad that they had to die in the process, but now, F them. Little deck sucking bastards!

16. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Gorgeous! Nice work. :thumb 

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Cool. :thumb 

18. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

You should've painted a big Autobot logo on there.

19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, wife would have loved that. She would have said, "all that work and now you need to start over again, that sucks!"

20. GFH

GFH The G Squad

News Credits:
    So no rain or ruined paint? No grouching around the house? No bitterness?

Can my dad have your autograph?