Decisions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slugslinger2004, Oct 23, 2006.

1. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was up all night studying for an accounting quiz, then overslept. My phone rings and wakes me up, and its a guy offering me a Co-op position in Lafayette, Ga.(Co-op is basically a paid internship but you have to do it at least 3 inconsecutive semesters). I basically tell him I'm interested and he sends me an job-offer. I get dressed and go to the only class I didn't sleep through, check my email and I have another job offer from a different company, this one in Birmingham.

I'm trying to decide which job to take. If I accept the first one, I'll have to live with either my dad or grandma, no rent and free food :) ; but then I won't have any freedom really. and an hour+ drive to work
    If I choose the second one, I get $0.75 less an hour, but I get a stipend for rent each month, and if I live with another coworker I can keep some money in my pocket, which then will have to be used for food. Another bonus is I have a younger cousin going to school at UAB i can chill with, its a shorter ride to work, and i can get as drunk as i want to on the weekends :p .

I'm leaning more towards the first one, but I want an unbiased opinion (read: not from family or close friends)

2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    It's a tough one, stay at home and have less freedom but more money to save, or live on your own, save money on gas, be with friends and family, and have you're own freedom....I'd go with the second one. It seems like it has more positives than the first job. Plus who wants to drive over an hour to a job, or rather, a co-op??

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The second option sounds best to me. Driving to work a long way is costly and sucks, not to mention no freedom. What good is having more money if you're caged?

4. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I'd go with the second one too. Aside from the all important freedom, especially if you like to party a lot or have girls come over a lot, the second one has more positives. You get less money, but you spend less on gas. You don't have to drive over an hour practically everyday just to get to work, and you can get a room mate to ease the cost of an apt.

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    2nd...the gas each way would be more then the 75 cent lower pay, so just rock on your own, or with a roomate...just find one thats not nuts...

6. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Second

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Something you may want to consider is after school opportunities. Which job will give you better connections or possibly a full time postition after school, assuming you like where you work.

Just a thought.

8. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the input guys. The second one does appeal to me alot, but as Boggs6ft7 said the first one would look better on my resume. Also, each time I come back I'll get a raise with both companies, and during my third semester with the first company, I'll be making $8 more an hour than I would @ the second

9. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You gotta go where the money is. Even if it means living with family and driving a little more, if it's the better option for your future, you definitely have to take it.

10. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I'd stick with the second option.

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Yeah, go for the 2nd one and try for some raises.

Hope it works out smoothly for ya man