Decided to go to college recently...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Masterblaster, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Masterblaster

Masterblaster FP is funny, not lame.

...and so far, I feel like it's stretching me to my limits. Some days, particularly today, I feel like quitting and trying to find something else to do with my life. But I feel like that would be a major mistake, as I not only need to pay my loans off once I'm done, but if I drop out, it'll take longer to pay off than if I stick it out and get a proper job. Incidentally, I'm trying to obtain an Associate's in Computer Graphics & Design. The classes I'm taking are really making me think, and I'm not a real big fan about that.

One of my assignments requires me to interview an industry expert/professional, and as I am a fairly anti-social person, I have found this to be extremely difficult, as I don't really have many friends that could help me. Can anyone give me some advice on dealing with this immense amount of stress?

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

That's what I feel sometimes. There are days that I just want to quit, but then I just got myself into an associate's program -- called Internet Professional (covers web design, web coding/programming, and designing user experience) -- that while it can be a challenge at times I actually like it and I really don't want to give up now that I'm just roughly half-way done.

Only advice I can give you is talk to your professor. Tell him/her that you find interviewing people difficult, and hopefully you two can come up with a way for you to get the assignment done.

I can understand it's tough when you're anti-social -- I can be anti-social myself -- but sooner or later you're going to have to deal with people -- especially clients if you're going to make a career out of what you're currently doing in college -- and so you're going to have to make an effort in being more social.

3. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

College is a time when you have to do things that you hadn't done in high school. Its your time to grow, and learn about others and yourself. There's no way to get around an interview. Sometimes you gotta just keep your head down and trudge through the work. Hopefully you find something you like doing while you're there.

4. Masterblaster

Masterblaster FP is funny, not lame.

I know, but the problem is not the fact that I find interviewing tough. It's finding someone to interview that's the issue, and as I don't go out all that much... yeah, you get the idea.

5. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've been in one form of college or another for over five years now. I can barely even see the purpose for it anymore, I just want to be done with it.

6. cagliostro

cagliostro Victi Vincimus

Is it bad that my first instinct upon reading the title of the thread was to ask "Barber or clown?" :D  ;)  Seriously though stick with it, in the long run you will be a better person for having gone and will make more money over your life time.

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    maybe you can find someone to just do it over email? That mightn't be so difficult. Try to find angles on it that interest you.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Surely you should be able to ask your professor for some help in finding someone to interview.

9. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    you might be able to find a past student who works in the industry. Look at it this way: it should give you pointers on whether the course is worth finishing; - and if you're gonna make it, it's good to have industry connections.

10. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Don't worry too much about it; learning to effectively cope with stress is all part of the greater collegiate experience. Then again...

You've enrolled in an institute of higher learning, and you're annoyed that you're required do some amount of cognitive exercise? Isn't that why people go to college, to further their mental acumen?

I mean, that's why a lot of people go. Some people go because their parents think it's a convenient $40,000, eight-month daycare which relieves them of any kind of parental obligations so long as they remember to send that check to the bursar every month. Other people go because their job requires them to have some sort of degree or certification, usually for a pay scale bump or additional pension benefits, but if that's the case, then it's just as easy to fork over some money to a degree mill for that all-important piece of paper.

So why are you going to college?

11. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Don't forget your baby booties.

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

People who don't like to think shouldn't go to college. Cause thinking is kinda the point of going to college.

13. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Yes. Grab your ballz and deal with it. Don't worry about the people around you, just do your work and become successful. I should have completed more of my required classes years ago, but I didn't because I don't like being in a classroom. I did find a niche for myself, but it's in a field I want out of. I made the mistake of boxing myself into the veterinary field, and I really can't stand it anymore. I was never interested in the medical aspect of animal interaction; it was always about behavior.

That said, my mind is geared towards other stuff like, history, art and computers. At 36, now in my 9th year of working in this field, I gotta find a way out before I get too old to change things in my life, never mind getting a better job just so I can get away from my exGF/boss.

Get out and go for walks, and do shit outside in your free time. It's my understanding that's something that helps with memory and brain power. You need to do this in order to better deal with life.

:dj 

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Maybe don't look at it as an interview, but just as a friendly conversation.
    One you can takes notes from lol

15. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Try working full time 4 days a week, attend college for one full, 12 hour day each week during term time and have all coursework and exams on top of that and repeat for 4 years, then come back and complain about stress.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^QFT.

My pity meter is at zero for you. Unless you find the Mystical Hacker Correspondence College where someone else does ghost work for your classes, college will suck every single day.
    If you don't want to think, go to F-in Burger college for McDonald's manager wannabes.

Every damn day i am in my classes i have to think for myself. and i am not even talking about the class lecture, the work or the instructor; i have to constantly adapt to things that happen before class.
    I have to modify the materials just so i can read it or can grasp what is in my hands.
    In my Intro to Computer course, I taught my instructor (currently holding a Master's in Computer Science) how i had to manipulate 3 websites just so i could turn in my projects and take my tests. and it took me 4 weeks to do that.
    i bust my balls before i actually set down to actually do anything that counts for my grades.

Don't bitch about having to use brain cells when you haven't done Calculus in your head and having to graph from memory, not the paper on the desk.

Like i said, i have no pity for you. I don't want your pity for what i have to do to get by. and I mean I get by with a 3.9 GPA.

I am not in college because i want to; really, i get so frustrated when it takes me 20 minutes to read a page and i have 120 pages to study. i get headaches just from having to memorize entire math problems in my head and have to mentally visualize it all to make sure i got it right.

but i am in college because i don't have a real choice anymore. I can stay home, become a recluse and feel indebted for collecting a check i never worked for that won't even cover rent i can hate myself each day for giving up and eventually facing an empty world.
    OR
    i can give myself a life where what i do matters to someone and i can live with myself and not care what people think.

i hate math, i am terrified with having to learn a foreign language, but i am sucking it up because i want to be more than what people think when they see me stumble along and bump into the occasional sign post.

the bullshit i have seen, and have had to go through, i find someone whining about having to think a little, i find them offensive.

You don't want to go to college, you never really wanted to and now you are stuck with a dead end student loan bill or scraping by in college till you get a mid-level job somewhere that allows you a minimum amount of wiggle room.

i can respect, heck, appreciate the fears and doubts that college can heap upon one's shoulders.
    but i refuse to wet nurse a person who acts like an emo 13 year old who just got told to wash the dishes after dinner.

you are here in a community forum; you can sure as heck find someone that you can interview in your town.
    invest a little more in yourself. pay your dues and give yourself a chance.

if you won't do that for yourself, none of our pseudo-support will help you sleep at night.

17. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm sorry, but what exactly did you expect out of college?

Also, and I know this will come across as unpleasant, but it's more like tough love: welcome to the real world, cupcake. Getting what you want (a degree) means doing things you might not want to do (think, be social). The real world doesn't care about you, so you better learn to adjust or you'll have some serious problems going anything or accomplishing anything.

Oh, and here's some perspective--what you think is stressful is a fucking joke. Earning an Associate's? Please.

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Double post