Decepticons, why do you like them?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Sideswipe80, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mostly an Autobot fan myself but there are a few cons I have as favorites. But think about this, the Cons are basically terrorists. Why do we like them? Is it because they are giant transforming robots? Have cool names? Awesome designs? Megatron is basically leading an army killing his own people like some real life terrorist groups do. So why do you like the Cons?

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because they usually have more interesting characters. A group with conflicts within themselves is more fun than watching "we are the GOOD autobots! we have morals and do heroic things! follow us kids!"

3. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Reposted from another thread:

4. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    That's deep. Sorry to hear about some of those trouble though :( 

5. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

That's bizarrely similar to my childhood as well. Look at that. Freud must be intrigued.

In my case, is more because I have a profound interest in villanous character, I like to see how the engines of immorality work within these character, their mechanism of destruction within their mind: why they picked such fate for themselves? Can such fate be changed? Will they even attempt to change it? Do they realize they're evil assholes? How is their mind working beneath those atrocities? What are the effects of such evil in their minds? Do people react differently to them?

In short, evil fascinates me. The countless villanous M.Os, the villanous types [from Well-Intentioned Extremists to Nihilistic Monsters], the raison d'ĂȘtre for their existence. It all fascinates me on a psychological level, I always prefer to analyze and create the dark, crawling corners of a troubled mind than the shiny hallways of a heroic one. It's just so much fun to work with the human flaws and try to show them in a different way.

6. 0MEGATR0N

0MEGATR0N Robot/Gladiator

megatron,need I say more?

7. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bad guys tend to be more interesting and have a deeper/mysterious background than good guys. Oh and Soundwave is on their side, so instant props.

8. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    soundwave and more interesting character development and design.

9. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

For me, it's a combination of what Bountyan said and what Nachtsider said.

10. Sideswipe80

News Credits:
    Some interesting thoughts here. Keep em coming.

11. MechanovaKing

MechanovaKing Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me. For G1, beast wars, Animated, prime, and even beast machine

Our villains were allowed to be morally ambiguous. They got the cool voices and weapons. I think the bad guys got more interesting characters. But the autobots had the best ones.

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Are they?

In Animated, the Decepticons started the war after trying unsuccessfully to be granted basic civil rights and a voice in their own destiny. After a manifesto garnered attention and the Autobots responded with a registration act, events escalated into a war.

Is that all that different than the US starting the Revolutionary War to gain freedom from the British yoke which controlled them and they had no say in it?

Consider that all Transformers are Cybertronians, a singular race. In Transformers Prime, we have Optimus leading a group of exactly four who having fought and lost a war on their own planet, have relocated on another planet, where they use their skills to murder hundreds of their peers who are trying to rebuild their society on a new planet.

Every Vehicon is a Cybertronian. There are probably thousands on Megatrons flagship, ranging from minors to air warriors and they are executed without a second thought by Prime and his four Autobots because Prime doesn't want Earth to become a new home for his enemies.

Who is really the terrorist there?

There is an irony that "Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" is the motto of the leader of a faction that most resembles a zealot based communistic party. Who leads the Autobots? The holder of the Matrix. A religious bauble is the absolute decider of Autobot Supreme Leadership. Do you ever see any Autobot want to follow another bot for any reason other then the Matrix? When Optimus names Ultra Magnus leader, everyone follows without question. When Rodimus Prime emerges, someone who was considered a punk kid is now the default supreme leader, no questions asked and everyone falls into line, serving the Prime. What is the Autobots method of determining a leader? The Matrix. Who gets the Matrix? Whomever the prior leaders decides at the time of his death. What do they do? Make choices for the "common" good, even if that commonality includes non-transformers who have no say in the decisions the Transformers make; any and all projects must have the Primes approval to move forward (and should they go ahead anyway, they are in the end, punished). They use Sky Spies to monitor the world and have world energy displays to keep track of what goes where and they are the ones with the final says in where that power goes. It is the Prime who decides what gets built and what doesn't, it is the Prime who decides who goes where and why.

Even their departing phrase, "Till All Are One" is an expression of their religious dogma. The Autobots idolize The Matrix, they follow whomever holds it, dissent is unheard of, and they spout relgious dogma.

So, you have an organization based on religious ferver who dogmatically follows the leader with their relgious bauble who determines what is best for all, even the welfare of the planet they are upon. What is the color of the Autobot symbol, what is the color of most of the Autobots? Red. Communist red. Right there in plain sight.

In Animated, we had a very McCarthy-esque Cybertron under the rule of Sentinel Prime. Right down to encouraging spying on your neighbors and report to the state.

On the flipside, you have Decepticons which has a leader with a similarly ironic mantra, "Peace, through Tyranny", despite being an organization of free enterprise and capitalism. Ranks are earned through accomplishment, they are the side that has the Constructicons, the builders of the Transformers universe, the side that often builds the devices of the week that we saw. Their leader is chosen by consensus and they are free to persue any side project they wish. They also managed to hold onto Cybertron for 4 million years and only lost control of their planet after a literal act of a god interfered (and not even the god the Autobots adhere to!).

So you have a series in which one force is about free enterprise and holds onto the home planet, fighting on a second planet with a small group of religious zealots who are about a communistic approach, and you want to label the Decepticons Terrorists?

In the more recent IDW series, the Autobots are not discerned against Decepticons by the universe at large, they are both viewed with the same amount of scorn and hatred for being war-mongering titans who spread their war amongst the stars. There were entire organizations and many beings from Cybertron who were Cybertronian who blamed the Autobots just as much for the war as the Decepticons and left Cybertron to get away from their war.

It's also hard to paint the Autobots as peaceful in the movie universe, where without Decepticons to fight, they joined the US Military in operations to fight the USA's enemies with them. So, given the choice between live peaceful lives away from the war and on a new planet, they instead chose to get involved in more conflict so they can stay fighting someone.

Honestly I like both sides in a few series, but the Decepticons are the more interesting side, especially in the more recent media. In Animated, they were the oppressed, in WFC, they were the ones who sued for social change. They are the ones with the greater depth and motivations. Their group dynamic tends to be closer to being real; the idea that all the good guys work together all happy and united like they do is a bit laughable and childish really. They also have the moral elasticity to make all sorts of interesting decisions and move the plot in ways that can be unforseen. Plus they generally have cooler designs and greater variety of alt-modes.

13. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    With me I don't care for the faction, I prefer the Predacon faction over them.

I just like certain takes of characters in the Dcon ranks. I find TFP Starscream as on the best Starscreams in TF history. I find Animated Megatron as the best Dcon Megatron. I find TFP Soundwave better than G1 Soundwave. I love the take of Shockwave in Animated over G1. Then characters like Animated Blitzwing, Lugnut, and Prime Dreadwing I find really great.

So for me its more character and less about the faction.

14. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Maybe it's because I secretly share desires.

15. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not a Con fan, but I have to admit I do like the 'funny' ones, depending on the series...Thundercracker in Cybertron, Starscream in G1, TFA & TFP and in TFP Knock Out for sure. They're just evil fun to enjoy. Bwhahahaha. :ev: 

16. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

starscream is big pain

17. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Knockout is a Decepticon. Disliking the Cons means disliking Knockout, which is in turn a dislike against fabulosity.

18. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

Basically the cons started out as a group of revolutionists fighting for their own rights and I have always been one to side with the downtrodden. Also they just simply have a more interesting dynamic between the characters in the faction. Lets not forget that they have freaking wicked alt modes.

19. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Because they're more interesting and have more badass designs.

20. JazzHunter83

JazzHunter83 Mrs FatalT

:bowdown: