2D Artwork: Decepticons!, We're under attack, Scramble!

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by SilverBlade, May 1, 2006.

1. SilverBlade

SilverBlade Well-Known Member

The last works spoken by Shockwave in the movie.

Here is my 3D version of Shockwave. Comments are welcome!.

[​IMG]

2. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

His fingers look a bit thin and his gun, I think, should be longer. Other than that, very nice.:thumb 

3. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

first comment off the bat is that proportions are completely out of whack on a bunch of little things, but most notably the hands and gun. One thing that might help in future models, is to use human reference to get the correct size figured out and then tweak as you go along to get the desired outcome.

Also, you have some strange rendering artefacts going on within the shoulder blocks. Not sure what this is caused by, but if you're using Maya, you may want to select those meshes and reapply the shader. I know that sometimes I have wierd things like that because I didn't apply the shader correctly.

And now for the good. Yeah, it's Shockwave, and there's no mistaking it, so that's good. Also, it seems like you took the initiative to add some small minor details, like the upper thigh for example. Very good in my opinion as it helps your model not seem boring and recycled generic.

One thing I would be interested in is how you approach your modeling. I've considered creating a tutorial on several occasions to help others get over some of the annoyances and hurdles of TF character creation, and it would be good to gain insight into how others set up their workflow.

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's pretty good, better than I could do.:thumb 

5. limabean

limabean Well-Known Member

i agree with the proportions on the arms need work, the hand should usually fall mid thigh, is cool though and starcracker id like to help on a tutorial. im currently working on a rig that should allow for control in robot and alt mode plus little to no deformation during transformation

6. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    The rendering artifacts on the shoulders look like they m'ght be something to do with radiosity; you often see things like that with lower level settings on radiosity renders. It's on the gun as well. However, as SC said, check your shaders. It could also be a side-effect of rendering at a low resolution.
    Proportion issues:
    Head - too big.
    Upper legs - too long.
    Lower legs - too short.
    Hand - way too small (thicken the fingers too, if you can).
    Shoulders - too close to the body.
    A little trick I learned early on for telling if something is proportioned right on a 3D TF is to pose it as you build. If you look at WIP shots I have done in the past you will almost never see a shot of a robot just standing there; in my experience, it's often easier to tell what needs correcting if the model is in an action pose (or even just standing there in a more.. well, natural pose) than if it is simply standing there like it just came off the production line.
    A promising start, m8. keep us posted.

7. SilverBlade

Thanks Draven. Finally someone to point out what is wrong instead of "some things are out of proportion" and no details

I found out what cause the artifacting in the shoulders. It was 3D S Max 'Shell' feature that did it.

8. SilverBlade

I did some adjustments to Shockwave (hopefully for the better).

Any suggestions/comments welcome.

[​IMG]

9. Shepp

Shepp Maverick Hunter

Ebay:
    very snazzy. he just needs a menacing action pose now. did you design this model with the intention to make it transformable too?

to be honest, those little things from before that have been tweaked make it amazing. although now that the arms have been increased in size, i think the lower legs could be bulked up a little more too.

10. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    yeah the second version looks much better! The edges are kinda distorted (from the zoom out i imagine) and it looks like a Lego statue which I think looks cool!

11. SilverBlade

the 'jagged edges' are caused by the renderer I used (Brazil) in 3D Studio Max.

12. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Not a bad start, I know I couldn't do half as well if given a 3D programme and left to my own devices. Keep it up man, you can't go wrong with the Wave