Decepticon Realism

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by LCDR Blindside, Apr 28, 2012.

1. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Though a lot of people protest the lack of interaction between the Autobots and their shallow characterization, only a few have demonstrated the complete opposite.

That is, lauding the Decepticons for their interesting interactions and characterizations.

Though the Autobots are a matter of debate when it comes to realism, the Decepticons certainly aren't. They bring back, with their own flavor, the delicious brand of comedy and drama we've seen in Animated and Beast Wars—hilarious bad guys. From Megatron grinding Starscream under his heel to the evolving reactions between Scream and Knock Out, these 'Cons are giving The Office a run for its money. (Figuratively, you one person who was about to trash me for comparing the two.) Put simply, the Nemesis bridge is a hotspot for characterization and comedy.
    Even the bridge itself gets snarky.
    This is a difficult feat to accomplish in such a story-driven show, but every moment Starscream or Knock Out is on screen, sure enough, I'm grinning like a schoolgirl.

To make a long story short,

2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Flying Mind was the first episode where there is no longer any excuse whatsoever to have not seen Knock Out's reaction to Breakdown's death. Any reaction whatsoever. Before tonight's episode, you could have said, "Well, the Decepticons aren't being featured in this one" or "Knock out isn't in this episode; maybe they're saving his reaction for a Decepticon-centric episode to give this vital scene the breathing room it deserves." But nope.

So yeah, there's your characterization for you.

3. aimop95

aimop95 Aimoperative

So then, what does that make the Autobots then?

4. aimop95

aimop95 Aimoperative

WHY would Knock Out even care? Really? It's not like they were best buddies or anything. In fact, Breakdown hit Knock Out so many times with his hammer or body it was becoming almost cartoonish. Like Bugs Bunny cartoonish.

5. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    He's a goddamn sociopath?

6. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    A sociopath who CARED about his partner. To have him not react to the death is flying the face of their previous interactions, and is just bad writing.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Have you been watching this show?

8. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I don't believe I'm grasping at straws when I say there wasn't a scrap of evidence indicating that he cared about Breakdown.

9. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    If Knockout didn't care about him, I seriously doubt he would've partnered up with him or even had a partner.

10. aimop95

aimop95 Aimoperative

When did he care? He's abandoned his partner at least twice in the show when the bots became a bit much for the both of them. That and the fact that I don't see him bumping fists or anything even remotely implying that there was a stronger relationship other than them being co-workers.

I really don't get where people think these two cons care about each other, so far this show has a very good history of making it blatantly obvious whose best friends with who. Example: Bulk and Jack. Jack and Cee. Was Cliff and Cee. Prime and Rachet. Megatron and Soundwave (The shout out Rachet gave them before the war).

Never saw Breakdown and Knock Out once, other than "here, you hit him while i do surgery."

11. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    I don't care about the guy who sits across from me in work, but we're in an action group anyway.

I see how, in the unorthodox nature of Decepticon heirarchy, it would imply a connection to have a partner among lone rangers. However, I have reason to believe that it's possible it was a business or combat relationship.

Honestly, let's not get hung up on that. If it makes Knock Put a shallow character, so be it. He isn't to me, and there's still a sea of genuine interaction present.

12. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey robots turn me on

So two guys who debut together and are practically never seen without eachother don't care about eachother and view their partner as cannon fodder. Okay.

13. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    ...We aren't watching the same show, are we?

Because you must have missed ALL of their interactions and must have completely overlooked the fact that everytime Knockout showed up in the field, 9/10 Breakdown was there with him. So, I don't know HOW you can Knockout DIDN'T care about him, when all of the evidence in the show says otherwise.

EDIT:
    THIS!

14. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    We are watching the same show. We are also viewing it from different perspectives.

I've noticed a trend on these boards, and it contraindicates my normal thought process. When something isn't elaborated upon, such as Knock Out's relationship to Breakdown, the people on the board regard it as a missed opportunity, whereas I would regard it as an opportunity to mull things around in my head and come up with reasonable explanations.

My problem with your argument is that it seems to be based off the fact that they work together. While it's plausible that they have hot robot sex every night, isn't it also equally possible that they were just co-workers, Breakdown serving as a big ol' shield for the delicate sports car?

15. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

I always figured that Knockout was just using Breakdown's muscle. After all, it's not like Knockout went looking for Breakdown in "Operation: Breakdown."

16. soundwave142

soundwave142 Decepticon over-seer

News Credits:
    this >:eek: 

17. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    He would have, if he was actually IN that episode.

18. aimop95

aimop95 Aimoperative

Oh, so it's unheard of for cons to use each other as cannon fodder? WOW. I did not know that.

Last time I remember, Soundwave and Screamer made their debut together, yet I don't see any love between them. In fact, Starscream probably hates the guy for ratting on him.

Why not apply that logic to Breakdown and Knock Out?

May I also point out that during most of Season 1, Screamer was usually seen with Soundwave, yet I didn't see anyone saying "AWWWW look at those two bros, they must really care for each other."

19. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Screamer and Soundwave weren't partners. Knock Out and Breakdown obviously were. Nobody's arguing that. It's the nature of their relationship that's up for debate.

20. Megabattimus

News Credits:
    Because Soundwave is Megatron's loyal guardian and Starscream is scoundrel, who is always wanting to eliminate Megatron. Of course they ain't close or anything, something that is depicted in the show.

But of course, Prime fans love grasping at straws for their counter arguments.