DECEPTICON Questions! - from a newbie

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Optimal Obrey, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Optimal Obrey

Optimal Obrey Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm a long time TF fan but honestly not as educated as some of you guys are!

I had a few questions for you guys.

1. What is it about Shockwave that everybody likes so much ? his design ? I never read the old TF Comics but everyone seems to LOVE shockwave, what did he do thats so special?

2. Which Decepticon would you say has the biggest fan base? I know Starscream and Soundwave seem to be everyone's favorites, and I hear alot about Shockwave. What about these characters do you think fans like so much?

Thanks guys, sorry if you think these are stupid questions

2. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    #2- Starscream for sure. Shockwave or Megatron don't have the insane levels of creepy fangirls that Screamer has.

3. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

1. Shocky defeated all the Autobots in one go - and created the Constructicons!

2. Starscream is just a great Decepticon - two-faced and devious. Perfect qualities!

4. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The comic book portrayal of Shockwave is totally different to how he acted in the cartoon. In the cartoon, he was a loyal servant who didn't do very much. In the comic book, he was a bad-ass motherSHUT your mouth, equal to Megatron in power and with designs on Decepticon leadership because he saw it as the logical thing to do. He beat Megatron in combat and was Decepticon leader for at least as many issues as Megatron himself actually was, if not more, he held his own against Scorponok, he created the Constructicons, he defeated all the Dinobots at once... in his first actual appearance, he took out *all* of the Autobots (they'd all been weakened after a major battle) and strung them like meat in a butcher shop, then he decapitated Optimus Prime and stole the Matrix from him, and kept them all that way for like half-a-year's worth of comics!

5. lordmegatron

lordmegatron leader of the decepticons

Starscream is kinieving and egotistical. i love him.

he's so whiny and always has a ''look at me'' aura about him.

6. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1. Shockwave is just a major badass, especially in the comics and in Animated.

2. Starscream, for reasons I will never know.

7. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    Shockwave's logic is uncanny.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Others have explained why Shockwave is revered among G1 comics fans, but a picture is worth a thousand words...
    [​IMG]

9. Blaspherian

Blaspherian Well-Known Member

1 reason I like Shockwave
    [​IMG]

10. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Shockwave is an evil Mr Spock, that's what makes him so interesting. And dangerous.

Starscream is the quintessential Decepticon. Hence his appeal.

11. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

Well, soundwave is just badass anyway you look at it, megatron as well, idk, you just have favorites sometimes and don't know why, you just like them.

12. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

What Chris said. It also helps that Shockers had a very cool and distinctive design, which was carried out pretty accurately in the toy, or rather, from the toy.

Shockwave is one character that Bob Budiansky and Simon Furman seemed to enjoy using, and both wrote him well. Unlike some other characters (example: Blaster) there wasn't a major change from one author to the other, although Furman's sounded a little more British. :D 

I think the NEW ORDER trade paperback has most of the early arc Chris mentions, and maybe the end of BEGINNINGS. It's well worth reading.

Screamer is a little tougher to figure, but the Seeker design is pretty striking. That always helps. If you watch a lot of the G1 cartoon, you start to realize how he got so many fans...he's heavily used, and there are a few tantalizing character moments. He's almost...but not quite...a one-note character. "Not quite" is powerful fuel for the imagination. In certain episodes, you get more than that. I think "Starscream's Brigade" is a really defining moment.

13. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

1. Watch G1 or Animated. You'll see why. :p  Though I can never forgive him for killing Blurr. :( 

2. Starscream, Optimus, Megatron, Shockwave, Soundwave... I could go on. But that's just because everyone (besides Wheelie and most humans) are awesome.

Quoted for undeniable truth. >D

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think what makes a decepticon popular is how big an ass he is.
    Soundwave would spy on his Mother(board) to get ahead.
    Starscream whines and backstabs. and is a diva-bot.
    Shockwave was a straight up, thug, O.G. Energon is money and he didn't have time for grand schemes or rivalries with other bots.
    he slaughtered the Autobots, strung em up and then ran things his way.

Megatron could be a jerk, but he didn't do half the stuff Shockwave did- or get away with it- and that's why The Shock and The Screamer are what they are today.
    they are just the biggest, baddest mothers around. (in comparison)

there are no stupid questions, only misplaced posts, LOL.

15. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

G1 cartoon Starscream has the treacherous bumbling idiot henchmen personality without actually being unintelligent, or a bad fighter. His own unreasonable delusions are (ironically) the only thing keeping him from greatness. He tries to set the goal too high, and ends up missing even his low goals because of it. Tragic, funny, and still a badass in combat. Plus he looks awesome.

Soundwave is even more dangerous in the comics than in the show, since he can read minds:eek: 

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  16. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

Shockwave littlerally single-handedly picked up a water tower and played baseball with Megatron. And his toy is one of the best articulated toys of G1 and on top of that he lights up and makes noise (which is instant win in any toy for me).

Soundwave: When I saw a toy that was a tape deck that turned into a robot that ejected a tape that ALSO turned into a robot it blew my freakin' mind. And the character was cool too.

Starscream: I like all the jets, but of them, Skywarp was actually my favorite and that's just cause I liked his colors. Screamer was my second fave and I think what's interesting about his character is that he's really intelligent, the best at his job, but his weaknesses are that he's ambitious but lacks the competency to pull of his treasonous ambitions. All that mixed together has really been characterized in some interesting ways over the years and I think what makes him a fan favorite. The sleek design doesn't hurt either.