Decepticon Friendships

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prime Noble, Sep 25, 2017.

1. JLvatron

JLvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dude???

You did know the 1st is the original mass-viewed show, while the other's a new comic take.
    ...Didn't-chew????

2. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

I was simply pointing out a point in the comics where they weren't friends, i'm not bashing anything or anyone

• Like Like x 1
  3. JLvatron

JLvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I felt the Insecticons had each others' backs. Especially since nobody else trusted them! :) 

Yah, that was nice.

I like Scourge & Cyclonus. Even Galvatron & Cyclonus, since Galvatron treated Cyclonus as 2nd class; everyone else was 3rd class.

The original G1 comics had Runamuck & Runabout as buddies. I also liked how Decepticon leader Bludgeon only confided in Krok, who was mostly portrayed as his 2nd in command.
    There was also a buddy scene between Vortex & Dragstrip in issue #47, making fun of a Constructicon.

Great thread, btw.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Thanks. It's nice to know I hit on a topic someone is actually enjoying. It's hard to come up with something original given the multitude of threads here. I've always liked the more rounded Decepticon characters. Same for all fictional villains.

Ok you've got the nut jobs, the sadists and ambitious, scheming types but I like to see the ordinary grunts who aren't all about world domination, forge friendships in the ranks and show concern or express doubts. Even the first Austin Powers hit upon it with the running gag of the personal reactions when henchmen are killed.

Even as a kid, I liked those characters. Had no time for the plain nasty types. They usually struck me as boring. Only enjoyable moments was seeing a hero or underdog beat them or put them in their place.

In the current RID series, we're seeing a bit more of those kind of Decepticons. Once you get over the stylised, animalistic designs, there are actually some likeable characters in the ranks.

Quillfire and his anti-establishment, revolutionary mindset kind of harkens to G1 Icepick's profile and Springload can sometimes evoke pity because his obsession allows for manipulation and he's more than likely on a fool's crusade like Gollum.

Steeljaw has become one of my favourite Decepticon villains in the franchise and the mob boss with the antlers is enjoyable too, not afraid to challenge orders he doesn't like.

The friendship/camaraderie/loyalty thing does add to each character involved.

I realise I've omitted the obvious Dreadwind and Darkwing dynamic. Darkwing did look out for Dreadwing during Stormbringer. They weren't as loyal in G1 but they were kind of united in their negativity.

5. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Oh I forgot the Dragstrip/Vortex dynamic. It's an obscure reference which only adds to it. Nicely played.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

In Armada, Demolisher basically breaks down a door to prevent Megatron from killing Starscream. Which I guess is too low of a bar for "friendship", but at least he seemed genuinely alarmed and concerned for Starscream.

Also Demolisher and Cyclonus seem to be friends.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dark Starscream

Dark Starscream w/Powermaster Cobra Cmdr.

Astrotrain & Blitzwing
    Rumble & Frenzy
    Shockwave & Soundwave (Marvel UK)
    Mindwipe & Triggerhappy (Marvel)
    Runamuck & Runabout
    Snapdragon & Apeface
    Black Shadow & Blue Bacchus
    Needlenose & Spinister
    Pounce & Wingspan
    Cyclonus & Scourge
    Obsidian & Stryka
    Leozak & Lyzak
    BW Megatron & Rubber Duckie

• Like Like x 1
  8. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

Inferno, Quickstrike and Waspinator took some pleasure in each others company it seemed, over time, they are seen playing cards together in between missions for Megatron. Though when it came down to it, they really didn't care about each other at all and they are Predacons too but I think they're and not a bad example.

Terrorsaur and Waspinator also, but that just felt like they got stuck with each other because they where the only fliers at the time and had to get along.

Cyclonus/Snowcat and Demolishor seemed effortlessly chummy and ribbed each other a lot too, when they reunited after years and took time to share gossip while play fighting in Energon that was cool. Also they're a good mix together, Demolishor was kinda stable and Cyclonus... Was different.