Decepticon Friendships

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prime Noble, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

One thing I always liked as a kid were Decepticons who were friends or at least loyal to each other.

These friendships elevated them above the one dimensional thugs and sadists a lot were portrayed as. It's why I never liked Blitzwing or the Insecticons.

Scenes like Thundercracker and Skywarp talking about returning to Cybertron or the Seeker accompanying his injured comrade after Sunstreaker blasts him. Both of those examples being from the pilot.

I grew up on Marvel UK mainly so it was Spinister covering for Needlenose's cowardice or Carnivac and Catilla defecting together.

Obviously in IDW, the best example of Decepticon friendship is the Scavengers. I like how Krok looks out for the others.

On the subject of friendship in IDW, I'm not referring to Conjux Endura just the platonic friends. Needlenose and Horribull were just unlikable characters anyway and the Blast Off/Onslaught dynamic is just wrong.

But I digress, as I said I like seeing Decepticons as more than just selfish bad guys.

Even friendships across factions like Stake Out and Carnivac in Sins of the Wreckers or Dreamwave stating Carnivac and Catilla worked as Investigators together before the war are interesting. Can't forget Starscream and Jetfire either.

So what do you guys think? I know there are other examples among the Micromaster profiles in Dreamwave.

Not just talking about G1 either though I didn't like Knock Out and Breakdown in Prime mainly because I just found Breakdown unlikable.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rabid Robot

Rabid Robot Wrecker

Thats a bad example because in idw skywarp shoots thundercracker in the face as an attempt to kill him. But i get your point. Like megatron and terminus in idw or the headmasters in the cartoon.

3. NaCl

NaCl Noobie who likes boobies

Rumble and Frenzy were pretty close, I think. Then again, they were also brothers or a tag team depending on the writer.

4. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sunbow G1 is inherently different from IDW G1. That's all.

Trying to think of some good ones. This is a bit harder than I thought.

5. Darker

Darker The Lord of the Dark

News Credits:
    I'm sure Skywarp and Thundercracker were secretly the best of bros back in G1.

upload_2017-9-26_11-59-51.png

• Like Like x 3
  6. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Armada Cyclonus and Demolisher - their friendship even survived their reformattings in Energon.

The Destron Headmaster Jrs. seemed like pretty good friends, though since they're actually humans I'm not sure they count.

Fixed that for you ... :p 

• Like Like x 2
  7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Cybertron Ransack and Crumplezone had a friendship.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Prime Noble

Oh yes I forgot about Ransack and Crumplezone.

As for Skywarp and Thundercracker, it doesn't matter if they're close in every continuity, I'm just thinking of ones where they are.

Needlenose and Spinister seemed close in Marvel UK and Regeneration but they're 2 very different characters in IDW. Needlenose is a jerk and Spinister seems to have lost intelligence points. I don't find their IDW selves likeable whereas I did in Marvel UK.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Prime Noble

Knock Out and Grit were shown to be old friends in the underrated Empire of Stone. Kind of a funny scene to be honest, in a good way.

According to the Beast Wars Sourcebook, Starscream and BB were said to be kind of friends.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  10. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

Starscream and Knock Out seemed to have an "antagonistic bros" things going on near the end of TFP. I think their mutual loathing of Shockwave drew them together, lol.

In Sunbow, Soundwave was on good terms with his cassettes and there's even a scene where he's petting Ravage.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NaCl

NaCl Noobie who likes boobies

They got more love than Rewind, Eject, Rhino, and Whatshisface got by the entire series.

12. Dropkick

Dropkick Worse aim than Misfire.

Google+:
    YouTube:
    IDW there was Soundwave and his original 3 cassettes, Buzzsaw, Laserbeak and Ravage.
    I loved that one.
    Ravage dying was the one of the saddest things to happen in MTMTE. Poor kitty.
    Also, there were the Scavengers. The Brotherhood of misfits. Grimlock doesn't count.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Darker

Darker The Lord of the Dark

News Credits:
    These two were definetely good buddies.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cyclonus and Scourge were def friends!

• Like Like x 1
  15. IceMagnus

IceMagnus STARCO FTW!!!!!

News Credits:
    These two are definitely good friends if ya know what I mean ;) 

Partners.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Prime Noble

I'm on about genuine, platonic friendship not shipping. Sorry that may have sounded harsh. I would just prefer not to devolve towards innuendo.

Not against a good joke but it's easy to go down that route in any conversation and I'd prefer not to. I'm just very interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this topic.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Allies for a mutual cause but would turn on the other(s) to benefit

18. MattDallas

MattDallas Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Also Darkwing & Dreadwind struck me as being friends.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    In IDW, I love Buzzsaw and Laserbeak doing the Statler and Waldorf act. Also, I liked Megatron's relationship with Ravage toward the end of MTMTE and wish there was more of it. And one of the reasons I'm sad about Till All Are One ending is that we'll see even less of Tall Tankor and Fat Tankor. All of the traditional combiner teams seem to have some sort of friendship bond, too, whether they're combiners in the continuity or not. It can be dysfunctional in the Decepticons, like how Motormaster dominates the Stunticons.

In Animated, the pre-Dirt Boss Constructicons were best buds and drinking buddys, even sort of friends with Bulkhead.

As for the romantic relationships, Needlenose and Horri-bull never got much development since HB was dead by the time it became a thing. While they were unlikable, I'm not against it being a story element. Also, I'm pretty sure the Blast-off and Onslaught relationship is supposed to be wrong. Not getting to see that situation turn even more awful is another reason I'm sad that seried ended.

• Like Like x 2
  20. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    demolisher and cyclonus/snowcat was always my favorite

• Like Like x 1