Decepticon deaths in TF2

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by darthrage, Dec 4, 2008.

1. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed the first movie and was not the least bit dissappointed when Decepticons were being owned left and right without uttering a single line in the movie.

The fact is that this is a war and there will be casualties.

Alot of people were saying "that's it??" when the Decepticons were killed off so easily. And of course you would feel a little dissappointed.

If you felt that way, I'm sure you are going to feel the same way about some of the Decepticons that are going to get wasted in TF2.

Alot of us are so used to G1 where none of the Decepticons actually die. They just return to fight another day.

So your natural reaction to a Decepticon death will be one of "weirdness" and maybe a little bit of sadness even because you feel that there is no chance they would be returning back if they were just minions. You can't have them all be main characters or even just supporting characters. Just Decepticon fodder.

I'm sure the writers and Bay were thinking, let's have THIS Decepticon to be the first one one that we kill off in the first half hour. And then THAT Decepticon dies half way through. etc. etc.

2. Sideways

Sideways Banned

TFs die and come back as repaints.

3. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I kinda view it as a waste of introducing characters that only last for a good portion of time in the movie before they're killed off, always by humans.

In TF2... I hope there's at least some that will die by the hands of the Autobots, while there are some who will be kept alive for the third movie.

4. Wolfbrother

Wolfbrother Asha'man

Well, Bonecrusher was killed by Prime, and Brawl/Devastator was finished off by Bumblebee. But I agree with your sentiment, though...

At least Starscream wasn't killed by the little girl with the My Little Pony! :D 

5. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    that would've been awesome

6. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

well lets see

black out
    scorponok
    barricade
    bonecrusher
    brawl
    megatron
    starscream
    frenzy

in transformers 1

scorponok
    barricade
    megatron
    starscream

are all still alive, only 4 of the decepticons died, and the only one to die by the hands of a human was black out. Bone crusher was killed by prime, frenzy killed himself, brawl was killed by bumble bee.

Megatron can technically be labeled as dead, but we know he's comming back one way or another, thats just obvious so thats why i didnt count him as dead. Megatron was stopped though and he was stopped only after prime fought him and starscream shot him down, then the cube took him out. So again no human interference, other than sam happening to be the one to use the cube which really doesnt make it a human kill imo since it was cybertronian technology that did the job.

Starscream shooting megatron down can also be debated, but even if it was a human fighter, the cube is still what took megatron out

7. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Id like seeing both sides have some casualties as long as the way they die is done well; I dont want humans to be the ones getting the higher score card again.

8. Bat Trap

Bat Trap Makes the Pie Higher

well if they have any balls in TF2 we'll actually see quite a few Decepticons beating Autobots. And we'll see it take a toll on the other characters.

Jazz's death was the worst part of the first movie, because he's supposed to be the second in command, got very little screen time, gets killed, and then Optimus gives his little speech that is more or less "Oh no Jazz died. That sucks. Oh well, at least we're cool with the humans."

I'd like to see the Autobots get kicked around a bit and maybe not be winning at the end of the movie. By no means should the end be a cliff hangar, but I think the Autobots should be pulling back to lick their wounds and honor their dead.

9. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:
    Decepticons are just good cannon foder to make a movie great, a good decepticon death is a sure way to keep the heart racing, and even more so, when an autobot dies.

Decepticons shouldn't need to much background in a summer flick, it would be the same as trying to cage a ghost..

I think the decepticons just need a few more lines, and this movie will blow the competition away again.

As for any of them dying, A guaranteed death would be barricade, if infact he returns as the R8, I would also include alice,ravage,and all of the devastator counterparts..

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'd take my bit of a rant a bit farther to say it seems like Hollywood has playing the death card way too much as an easy way with what to do with the villians. I'm not saying no death's ever, but the way deaths get over used these days they just don't have any big impact in a movie any more. It's like Hollywood writers threw creative right out the window when they decided if they get stuck on an ending just start killing off the bad guys.

Getting to point where I go to the movies now and it's why even bother to get into the villian of this film because they are only going to kill him or her off so it's a waste of time. Sort of like it doesn't matter who the villain for Spiderman 4 would be because they are just going to kill them at the end of the movie.

If you are going to kill off some Decepticons because we just have to have the good guys win then at least make it seem like something more than we couldn't think of a way out of this part of the film.

Altough I think if we've got to kill someone then they should kill Bumblebee.

11. Bat Trap

Bat Trap Makes the Pie Higher

Well if we're keeping in the tradition of the transformers, Prime will die.

12. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Known Member?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I doubt many Autobots will die (maybe one or two) because then kids could be traumatized and then parents will bitch, fans will complain (especially if it's a big name like Prime, even moreso if Michael Bay and Co. botch the death scene) and in the end the character may end up being brought back anyways so what will be the point. Parents bitched after kids were freaked by Prime dying in the '86 cartoon film (why Duke's death in the G.I. Joe movie was shelved after that); even if people are a little more desensitized to certain things now, with a 24 hour news cycle and internet coverage, it could just blow up in their faces. They could kill someone like Sideswipe or Skids or Red Alert, or maybe Skyfire/Jetfire to be poignant (going with him as 'the Decepticon who switches sides and sacrifices himself in the end to stop Starscream or Megatron,' for example)...but Bumblebee? Come on. I have a figure of him visible at my desk at work and people will walk by and ask 'Is that Bumblebee? He was my favorite' or something of that nature. Like it or not, he's one of the lead faces of the movie franchise; killing him off could be a disaster (plus you lose the cool Camaro). As for Prime, I could buy that as possible, but again I think he'd just be brought back in a third film anyways. That way the writers, Michael Bay and others could say they're honoring previous history, then bring him back and still say they're honoring previous history while also giving in to the obvious.

It's just easier to kill bad guys. For the most part, they're disposable (not to long-time fans fans, but to casual fans and people who make movies they sure as hell seem to be with the Spiderman films being a good aforementioned example). Plus you can always come up with a halfassed reason to resurrect them later on anyways if you're bored/desperate for a plotline and can't come up with anything creative with new characters (we're already getting Megatron back, and it wouldn't surprise me if they pull the same thing with Starscream if they killed him off in the sequel). Plus five of the seven Decepticons (well, six of eight, counting Frenzy) were random characters, so there hasn't seemed to be much urgency to get the major Decepticons in right away (no Soundwave or Constructicons/true Devastator until the second film, no word yet on any Shockwave or other Seekers), so they could just pull random names out of a hat and give them a 'cool' vehicle as an alternate form and go with that since Michael Bay's magic formula from the first film seemed to be 'that looks cool,' listening to some of the extras on the DVD.

In short, Decepticons=expendable, with limited exceptions. You don't pull at the heartstrings by killing Starscream or Soundwave as much as Bumblebee or Prime. They'll keep some alive for the third film just as they did for the second, but if deaths lean heavily to one side, it will probably be the Decepticons, again. If they outnumber the Autobots again (or are equal in number but superior in firepower), then that may cinch it.

13. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 Barely active here

News Credits:
    He still died at the hands of a human.

14. OmegaVPrime

OmegaVPrime Uhm, yea? So what?

Ebay:

Let me counter you then..

Yes hollywood plays the death card A L O T, but the one thing there is too many of is villains. That is why you have alot of fans of certain power-house franchises like Marvel, to get overwhelmingly mad about deaths and dissapearances of certain characters.

When In fact if you could pack the whole Marvel Legacy, with every single characters bio and appearances making not only an appearance, but becoming part of hundreds of different crossovers....you would have more deaths then you could shake a fisk at.

I don't blame hollywood for some of there deaths, especially when certain fanbases force them to put characters in there that might even ruin elements of the movie just because of the pointless new character introductions constantley flooding the movie.

That is why you get quick Bios of the TF's for the first movie, not only was there little time to create a hard base for the characters, but also, putting there storys in as well as the introduction of humans and even the storys on how humans tried to hide the allspark with the hover dam..

So there was alot to tell, especially with a summer/action/science fiction film that also had so much on its plate being diagnosed by not only fans, but every single age group...

So in my opinion, death is an important way to allow not only for new characters, but also to keep pointless re-writing scripts and, random appearances of characters.

15. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    cullen said he don't want prime to die

16. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I wonder if fewer deaths wouldn't open up more doors for a story teller since you have introductions out of the way for the returning characters and you could jump into something different.

Like say with Star Wars where have Vader in episodes 4 to 6. The introduction gets knocked out in the first film so each film gets a chance to reveal more since there is no introduction to deal with. By film 6 then his death is a big deal because we've gotten used to him being there.

Episode 1 of Star Wars we get introduced to Darth Maul who seems like real bad ass, but then he's dead before the first film is even over. I sort of wonder if he'd stuck around until the 3rd film and Skywalker had to kill Maul to become Vader if it wouldn't have been bigger then the string of villians who were there and then gone.

Then again it could also be some the burn out from comic books bleeding over into my view of movies as well. Seems like there is always some big death that is going to change comics forever and then doesn't. Or how Devils Due got the feel of Joes and Cobras getting killed as a gimick.

At least with movies though trends come and go so it swings back and forth from out for too many deaths to no edge because there is no chance of death. Just have to wait until the trend hits the point that works for you as a viewer.

17. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

I think in the first movie the good guys where supposed to win. Thus causing massive Decepticon casualties. I have a feeling ROTF will be a little darker with an even battle or maybe even the Autobots getting their buts kicked.

18. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Soundwave and maybe starscream are probly gonna be the ones to live through tf3 and galva/megatron too possibly

19. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    how about a carebear stare???

20. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    all i know is CONS better destroy the hell out of them Autobots, god damn i hate autobots!!!