Customs: Decent Spray Paints (in the UK)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Bovril, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

So far, all my customs have been done using Citadel paints - I buy the spray cans for black undercoat, and paint the rest by hand.

However I'm now wanting to do more than this - what I'd really like is some metallic/pearlescent coloured paints in spray cans - preferably 'compatible' with the Citadel stuff I already use.

Can anyone recommend something that I can find here in the UK with minimal fuss?

2. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't think of any unfortunately, it might be better to try and find an air brush instead.

(Get that mudflap butchered :lol )

3. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    drop by your local B+Q for plastikote. they have their own range of primers so dont use the citadel stuff. i have used them before and they work quite well in a decent range of colours.

and as for pearl stuff you might just be limited to airbrush paints as storm mentioned

4. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Would I be able to brush citadel paints on top of this plastikote stuff?

5. nellie131

News Credits:
    hmmm i dont think so? citadel paints seem to take best to a more flat surface not glossy. so i use krylon fusion camoflauge for this

6. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    the problem with plastikote is that they are enamel sprays and so are harder to work with than the acrylics offered by citadel (I started using citadel pots after using plastikote sprays and pots and haven't been tempted to look back.)

Just remembered Tamiya paints might be worth looking into, most model/hobby shops should sell them, if you see a model train shop anywhere near they're usually good for paint since that hobby involves a certain amount of painting as well.

7. nellie131

News Credits:
    yeah i agree with storm. they work well on larger areas but smaller stuff is better with citadel. thing is in the UK plastikote is about the only wider available choice isnt it? apart from tamiya sprays in model shops maybe?

8. Rotorstorm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They are unfortunately, Plastikote is stocked by Wilkinsons and most DIY shops, I just lucked out that the book shop in my local town now stocks warhammer now and therefore citadel paints.

Tamiya is often used for RC cars so that might be something to look into, it's a shame Krylon isn't available in this country, would make this all so much easier.

9. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Although Nellie just mentioned using Krylon Fusion. Where, perchance, did you obtain this, Nel? I've never heard of anywhere in the UK stocking it (and I've certainly tried looking for it in the shops round here with no luck), or anywhere overseas that'll ship it.

10. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Hmm, Tamiya is confusing with all the prefixes.

Would the 'TS' series paints be ok?

11. nellie131

News Credits:
    Well ram I use te krylon fusion as an ultra flat base coat for my paints and it's amazing stuff.they mainly sell it mail order from uk based airsoft supply websites.

About £6-7 ish per tin.

And I'm not sure of the TS sprays best bet is to do some searches on google
    For the different types.my local modelzone stores have a decent range of them in all the time.plus humbrol enamels and even now the velajo paints. Think that's how you spell it?

12. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

See? This is why you rock. List some of the places for the mail order. When I move to Europe I will need this info