Decent DC figures

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Spartan-117, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I've been reading a fair bit of DC stuff recently and I've came to enjoy it a lot more than I do Marvel's stuff but I'm rather stumped when it comes to finding decent figures.
    I've got a DC Heroes Superman which is pretty good but I'm unable to find anything that's really up to standard. So what's good and where can I get it? For reference I primarily enjoy the modern Teen Titans and JL. Powergirl gets an honorable mention for being hawt.
    Thanks for any help.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

DC Direct is the best DC toyline. They can be found at your local comic shop, Tower Records, Hot Topic, Spencer, and Virgin.

3. Emerald Twilight

Emerald Twilight Banned

The newer DC Direct stuff is great. The older stuff isn't so great. DC Superheroes is perfect though.

4. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    DC figures are hit-and-miss, as far as I'm concerned. I fervently wish we had a Marvel Legends-esque line for them. There are (and will soon be) some decent ones, though.

For Power Girl fans such as yourself (and who isn't -- I mean, c'mon), the recent DCDirect Infinite Crisis Power Girl is quite nice.

DCDirect will be releasing figures of the current JLA lineup, starting in August with Supes, Black Canary, Red Arrow, Black Lightning, and Vixen. (Canary looks to me like the only one worth bothering. Though Vixen is pretty well... sculpted. "Red Arrow" looks to be just a redeco of an older DCD Green Arrow with a new noggin.)

I don't know of anything upcoming for the current Titans lineup, but if you're a Donna Troy fan, there'll be two of her in the Infinite Crisis Wave 2 lineup.

The Mattel DC Superheroes line has had some very nice figures, especially Darkseid, Luthor, Bizarro, and Doomsday. The future of the line does look promising, given the 2-ups that were shown at SDCC: Catwoman, Parasite, Mongul, a much better Supergirl (current costume), and completely kick-ass Steel.

Hope this helps!

5. Wreckgar

Arriving this week is also a JSA lineup.

6. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Tower Records - not anymore, all stores have gone bye-bye, but the deals were great while they lasted!

7. Jarodimus

News Credits:
    Ooh -- are those this week? Mr. Terrific and (probably) Hourman shall be mine!

8. Wreckgar

Wow, all Towers closed? I thought only certain ones.

9. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I've collect a few DC Direct figures and I am happy with them all. They are very detailed and have nice paint apps. and articulation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, anyone wanting to collect DC characters should collect whatever DC Direct has released...I really love that line. They're not as articulated as Marvel Legends but they don't look as "multi-jointed" as the former.

11. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys, I tend to look more for articulation in figures than anything, if I'm going to buy a toy then I want to get a good toy. I'd rather pay more money for a statue or bust than get a poorly articulated toy.

12. Gort

Gort Klaatu barada nikto TFW2005 Supporter

DC Direct is pretty expensive, but I like they way they are not as articulated as Marvel Legends because I think they figures look better. Everyone is right, the newer ones are much better than the older and you really have to pick and choose what you want because of the cost.

The Teen Titans line from a couple of years ago has a great Wondergirl, Superboy, Kid Flash and Robin and the Hush like has a great Huntress, Nightwing and Catwoman.

The problem you will find is that many DC Direct are based on art so not every series looks good with other series's.

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

FINALLY a decent Wonder Woman figure...

14. Gort

I forgot to mention that there are lot's of Green Lanterns. There are several more that are not pictured.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Yep, the entire company was bought and liquidated! All 7 or so of our stores closed forever before X-Mas.

16. Jarodimus

News Credits:
    If you mean the Infinite Crisis Wave 2 one, agreed. I just hope her legs have SOME sort of posability. Female figures' legs seem to be DCDirect's biggest articulation pitfall. (Looking at that pic, though, I only see weird top-of-thigh pivot joints. :cry  Here's hoping that isn't a final sculpt.)

Firestorm looks like the winner of the wave in my book, though. :thumb 

What, no Salakk? He's the bestest of all the DCD GLs!

17. GL_Rayner

GL_Rayner Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I absolutely love the DCD line. I think over the past couple of years, I have looked forward more to them than the Marvel Legends line. I can't wait until the Infinite Crisis Wave 2 comes out and the "52" Wave with Booster Gold.

Are they ever going to make a new version of Robin in his latest costume and Ion?

18. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

If DCD release a boxset with 6 of the Justice League members (Superman, Batman, WW, GR, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter) then I'll get that for sure. But for now I will stick with ML even though the new Hasbro line is disappointing to say the least.

19. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Gort - that's a sweet collection! I always wanted to buy more of them but I have always got er, distracted by other stuff...

20. Gort

There was a five figure set with Superman, Batman, Aquman (hook hand version), Wonder Woman and and updated Jon Stewart Green Lantern. The Batman sucks, but the other four are great and you can still find it in some comic shops.

Here's another photo I found. Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Superman are from the box set I mentioned above. Flash, Firestorm and GL are from the JLA line. Martain Manhunter is an old figure that was re-released recently in the Secret Identity line with a changable head and Hawkman is from the Identity Crisis line. Batman in front is from the Hush line and Batman in the middle, back is from the JLA box set.

[​IMG]