Customs: Decal making questions?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rod, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Im going to start a new batch of cutoms that are going to be decal heavy, and before I start I have some questions:

1. Normally I just eyeball the size of my decals, but I was wondering if any of you guys use photoshop to 'stage' your decals. i.e. Create your decals in photoshop, and layer them over a picture of the fig your customs to get the sizing just right. Are there any tutorials out there to help do this?

2. I've done quite a few customs with decals but they've all been done on glossy sticker-like decal paper, but I want to start using waterslides. Is there any particular paper brand that you folks recommend?

3. My printer is in storage back in the states, so Im in the market for a new one. I've always been partial to Canon barnd Printers. Any recommendations or tech specs that should look for?

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    well... if you could photograph your customs with a RULER/MEASURING-device next to it... you could relatively easy do this right, that's what I would do ;) 

3. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
  4. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

there is decal paper out there for both ink jet and laser printers. make sure you know what you are buying.
    The bare metal foil company also makes decal paper, and i've used the ink jet before on my buddy's printer. I'm sure testors is the same, but make sure you buy the decal sealing liquid, or whatever it's called. other wise when you put your decal into water, it'll dissolve the ink right off.

as far as scaling, those other options might work, but honestly, you're going to need to print it out on regular paper and trial fit no matter what. I can't see how you would get around that. I'ts always been a trial and error that way, but at least I know that when the thing is printed and on a decal, it's going to fit.

here is a trial pack form micromark
    Decal Paper Try-It Pack for Ink Jet Printers
    they give you both clear and white paper, and the fixitive. If you want white at all on your decal, you have to print on white decal paper, or slide some white decal paper under the spot you want white. Most printers dont print in white. I've also known some people to paint white where they need it, then slide the decal over that.

For my "Peel-out Prime" Botcon09Customs23.JPG - Botcon 2009 - TFW2005.COM
    I painted his trailer stripe area silver, then put a clear decal on that for the stripe. the result was it looked like the metallic backed sticker that we used to get.
    All depends on what you're trying to do.

Randy!

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I've never done decals, but I have made stickers in the past (well, printed pieces that I stuck on with glue), so I can kind of help with the first one.

To be honest, I'm not sure how testing size by overlaying it onto a photo would help, since you've got no way of knowing how accurate the photo is to actual size. Even moreso if the surface you're applying them to isn't perfectly flat.

I designed mine by using a vector graphics program (generally OpenOffice Draw, but sometime Inkscape too) with the rulers and grids turned on, and actually measuring my toy to try and fathom the right dimensions. There's no better way to test the size than to physically apply the images. Just print them (or even just the outlines) onto normal paper, cut them out, and check them that way.

6. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    for hq keep everything at 300 dpi.

I like the idea of scanning the toys (at 300 dpi) and making the plans in ps using those as the guide layer.

7. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Are there any resources out there where people share designs in an editable format?